Author Topic: Update on CM Punk's heel turn  (Read 690 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
Update on CM Punk's heel turn
« on: 20 June 2009, 05:22:58 PM »
Credit: Wrestling Observer Newsletter @ F4WOnline.com

When CM Punk cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase at the "Extreme Rules" pay-per view to capture the World Heavyweight championship from newly crowned champion Jeff Hardy, many saw this as the start of a heel turn for Punk.

According to sources, WWE is keeping their options open as to whether CM Punk is a heel or babyface. WWE has had the announcers keep their comments amiguous and are still gauging live reactions from the crowd before deciding whether or not to take Punk the full-fledged heel route.

Apparently the live fan reaction in CM Punk's World title defense against ultra-popular Jeff Hardy at WWE's "The Bash" pay-per view will play a big role in the decision.

I thought we had a thread about this but anyway...

This news is understandable, Punk's popularity is always up and down so I can understand them wanting to keep their options open. Going to be interesting how the fans and punk himself react during the match at the bash.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2009, 03:22:23 AM »
like i said elsewhere i wanna go to the bash and boo the hell out of punk just because i like him so much :]

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2009, 04:56:50 AM »
From what I saw on Raw he played the role of "tweener" great. Punk is awesome no matter what he does... But I feel if he is a heel he could be pushed into the stratosphere. Plus a Hardy vs Punk feud could be awesome.. Have Punk be the straight edge heel telling Hardy he is better because he hasn't bee busted for drugs and so fourth and that hardy is nothing at all... it could be special and a feud that could possibly blur the lines between kayfabe and reality.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline J2M

• Ballin'
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2009, 05:02:40 AM »
I fully get the reason why the WWE are gonna wait until The Bash to make a final judgment on the alignment of CM Punk. I mean, if anyone watched Smackdown you can notice he is no where near as popular as Jeff Hardy, and was getting some pretty big boos, yet there was cheers also. He can work the tweener alignment great IMO, but I want to see Punk go heel so fingers crossed they boo the shit out of him at The Bash :lol

Maryse \'fucking\' Quellet

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2009, 05:06:43 AM »
It's time for Punk as a heel...he's become stale as a face and I never really viewed him as more than an IC/US Title champ as a face, mostly because they don't give him mic time to expand his character.  I've seen some videos of him in the past, and if they give him some time to draw heat on the mic he could be pretty successful.  Punk is essentially has no gimmick right now because they finally stopped repeating how he was 'straightedge' only a couple of months ago.  I never really understood the straight edge gimmick, was that supposed to mean that everyone else on the roster were abusers of some sort of drug?  Is it a negative thing to have one drink now and again? It's a positive message to send the kids in this WWE PG world, but its a pretty lame gimmick.  His heel turn should be him caught rolling a joint in the backstage area and showing that he's just a sham... =/

Also, this allows Edge to make a face turn for a couple of months at least because he's been a heel for a pretty long time now and feuded with most of the faces.  Edge is the perfect heel, but a little change up now and again just like they have done with HHH is always fun.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2009, 08:41:07 AM »
Quote from: narcolepsy;29567
It's time for Punk as a heel...he's become stale as a face and I never really viewed him as more than an IC/US Title champ as a face, mostly because they don't give him mic time to expand his character.  I've seen some videos of him in the past, and if they give him some time to draw heat on the mic he could be pretty successful.  Punk is essentially has no gimmick right now because they finally stopped repeating how he was 'straightedge' only a couple of months ago.  I never really understood the straight edge gimmick, was that supposed to mean that everyone else on the roster were abusers of some sort of drug?  Is it a negative thing to have one drink now and again? It's a positive message to send the kids in this WWE PG world, but its a pretty lame gimmick.  His heel turn should be him caught rolling a joint in the backstage area and showing that he's just a sham... =/

Also, this allows Edge to make a face turn for a couple of months at least because he's been a heel for a pretty long time now and feuded with most of the faces.  Edge is the perfect heel, but a little change up now and again just like they have done with HHH is always fun.

If you don't get the straight edge gimmick, watch his ROH stuff, it will explain everything. WWE booked right for the fact that he was a face when he was ECW, but they kind of just forgot about it when he made it big. I have no problem with that though, I think most main event wrestlers should be free from a limiting gimmick when they make it big. Kind like how Cena dropped the rapper stuff when he became champ. Main eventers should get over on who they are as people, not a label the company shoves on them.

However sometimes, this stuff CAN be good heat for the main event. And the beauty of the straight edge gimmick, is that, as you said, it could be a good message for kids... but on the flip side, the "I'm straight edge so I'm better than you" has been incredible heat for punk in the past and I'd love to see how he can run with it in WWE, even if it would be watered down.

On a side note, although I think it would really piss of punk to have to roll a dube to turn heel, I can so see Vince making him do that :lol

Offline J2M

• Ballin'
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2009, 03:47:17 PM »
I'd honestly mark out for a face Edge vs. a heel CM Punk feud only because it'd be so rare to see now-days and we haven't seen Punk really connect as a heel in the WWE like he had in ROH (which might I add was probably the best shit I've seen of Punk, period), and we haven't seen a face Edge since he turned on Chris Benoit years ago for a shot at the World Heavyweight Championship on Raw (that just proves how long ago it really was).

And to add onto what both Prax and Narc have said, the straight edge gimmick is one of the best going around today but the problem is the WWE don't use it to it's full potential IMO. As a face, I get it he wouldn't go around talking about his straight edge life so much because he'd end up seeming cocky and what not. But as a heel, it would be like Chris Jericho's use of bagging the fans as hypocritical insects, which is heard absolutely every time he gets on the mic.

I don't know why they'd judge his alignment outcome against Jeff Hardy though, what can you expect with him going up against probably one of the most popular superstars in the WWE today? But then again, I also understand them for putting the decision on hold because of the contract issues with Jeff Hardy, and his loss would leave a huge gap on Smackdown for babyfaces.

Offline Axel

« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2009, 06:34:55 PM »
It's sad that the only time Punk has gotten huge pops from the crowd was either in his Hometown or ECW in his debut match.

It will be hard trying to keep him as a face if they don't turn him heel after the Hardy feud.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2009, 06:49:21 PM »
Quote from: Axel;29640
It's sad that the only time Punk has gotten huge pops from the crowd was either in his Hometown or ECW in his debut match.

It will be hard trying to keep him as a face if they don't turn him heel after the Hardy feud.

Everything that happens in WWE is sad or pathetic to you, isn't it?

Offline J2M

• Ballin'
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2009, 10:23:47 PM »

CM Punk got awesome pops no matter where he went until after Extreme Rules because he essentially came across as taking advantage of one of the most popular wrestlers in the industry today. What else can you expect?

I've read up on articles by past guys like Heyman and Bischoff this week and they bagged a lot of the WWE going on right now, but one thing both men condoned as the best thing going on in the industry today, was CM Punk. They also believe a heel run with only push him higher and higher up.

.. I don't know what you've been watching because my ass he's only got huge pops in his hometown and his first ECW match.

Offline Awesome

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2009, 11:36:17 PM »
My hope is that the crowd boo the hell out of him at The Bash, I'd definitely like to see a heel Punk (especially as it gives me a more legitimate reason for my dislike of him - not sure why I do, I just do) :D
Quote from: CM Punk
Please, if you say ‘Because it’s your destiny’, I swear to jeebus I’m going to start drinking.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2009, 01:41:09 AM »

Oh come on the amount of Pepsi signs you see in the audience should say enough.
CM Punk was liked as a face, I personally found him quite boring as a face (not early on though) but that is because they didn't give him enough time on the mic. There is no denying that he didn't make a successful face though.
Turning him heel (gradually though) will be awesome as it will completely freshen up his character.

Offline Axel

« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2009, 04:35:57 AM »
Quote from: Hollywood Prax;29643

Read my post again.

I'm saying, It's sad that Punk doesn't get that much pops from the fans which makes his heel turn great. He's never really gotten any big pops from the fans expect from his hometown.

To be honest, I like seeing Punk as a face. He still has alot to do but for SmackDown!'s sake they need another top heel other than Edge.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2009, 04:27:28 PM »
Quote from: Axel;29692
Quote from: Hollywood Prax;29643

Read my post again.

I'm saying, It's sad that Punk doesn't get that much pops from the fans which makes his heel turn great. He's never really gotten any big pops from the fans expect from his hometown.

To be honest, I like seeing Punk as a face. He still has alot to do but for SmackDown!'s sake they need another top heel other than Edge.

I want Punk to turn heel but they don't really need him too. Edge and Jericho are two awesome heels on that brand and they are actually the best two wrestlers (in terms of the show anyway they have significantly more title reigns than any of the faces.)
Hardy is a strong face because of his reception but Mysterio was getting heavily criticised and downplayed when he was on Raw and I think he is only the big star he is because of the viewing audiences of Smackdown. He isn't actually an amazing face as put him on the raw brand and he is midcard. Morrison is face but he is only starting to break out of the midcard and he still doesn't have the amount of fans required to be a big face.

Offline Axel

« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2009, 01:42:58 AM »
The problem with SmackDown is Edge and Jericho are the only top heels they have since Umaga's firing. Other than turning Punk heel, there's no one else than can be a major heel figure. I'm hoping Vince can give Ziggler a chance.