Linked Events

• WWE Payback: 1 May 2016

Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* WWE Payback 2016 Discussion  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Awesome

• Administrator
*OFFICIAL* WWE Payback 2016 Discussion
« on: 26 April 2016, 07:45:50 PM »
WWE Payback 2016

Sunday, 1st May 2016

WWE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

Roman Reigns (c) vs. AJ Styles

WWE WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP

Charlotte (c) vs. Natalya

Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens

INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP

The Miz (c) vs. Cesaro

Dean Ambrose vs. Chris Jericho

Dolph Ziggler vs. Baron Corbin

WWE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP #1 CONTENDER TOURNAMENT FINAL

Enzo Amore & Colin Cassady vs. "The Vaudevillains" Aiden English & Simon Gotch

UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - KICKOFF (PRE-SHOW)

Kalisto (c) vs. Ryback

VINCE MCMAHON ANNOUNCES WHO WILL CONTROL RAW GOING FORWARD

WATCH THE PAYBACK KICKOFF (PRE-SHOW)
« Last Edit: 1 May 2016, 11:38:55 PM by Awesome »
Quote from: CM Punk
Please, if you say ‘Because it’s your destiny’, I swear to jeebus I’m going to start drinking.

Offline Awesome

• Administrator
Re: *OFFICIAL* WWE Payback 2016 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2016, 05:57:10 PM »
The 2016 WWE Payback Pay-Per-View starts with a segment with The New Day...

I was surprised to see the match between Dolph Ziggler and Baron Corbin happen on the Kickoff (Pre-Show) as I was expecting it to only be the United States Championship match, but I assumed that they decided to make sure that there would be more time for Vince's announcement later on about who would be running Raw from now on.

Ryback imitating CM Punk's entrance in Chicago... the response on Twitter seemed to be split between people thinking it was stupid of him, and others thinking it was a genius move. The match itself I was expecting a Ryback win, so to see Kalisto retain the United States Championship once again still leaves me thinking that the title isn't getting the attention and interest it really should with him as the champion.

The New Day were as entertaining as always, but it was horrible to see things come to an abrupt end like that with Enzo Amore's injury. Thankfully as the night progressed we got good news about his condition and he was only left with a concussion from it - not that I am discounting the seriousness of concussions of course, but it could have turned out a lot worse.

I was surprised to see Kevin Owens picking up the win rather than Sami Zayn, but any battle between the two of them is always great to watch and I'm sure this isn't the last we've seen between them, especially given Zayn's reappearance during the following Intercontinental Championship match.

I would have liked for Owens to target the WWE World Heavyweight Championship rather than going for the Intercontinental Championship once again, but having him on commentary and the chaos that ensued when Sami Zayn showed up again was still awesome to see.

I still stand by what I said about The Miz needing the Intercontinental Championship more at this point, so I have no issues with the way the situation was taken advantage of for him to retain his title.

Good to see Dean Ambrose pick up the win over Chris Jericho, but it still seemed to be a feud that was too short to really have any meaning. Judging from Jericho's tweet afterwards, his current run in the WWE is already at an end.

The WWE Women's Championshp match was a very good one, but it was a travesty that the ending had to parody Survivor Series 1997 by having the referee ring the bell after Natalya was put in her own Sharpshooter and the bell immediately being rang without her tapping out.

Sure, Natalya and Bret Hart got a few moments of payback on Charlotte and Ric Flair, but it still seems entirely unnecessary and cheap to keep reminding everyone of the Montreal Screwjob.

The segment with Vince McMahon deciding who would run Raw from now on went on for way too long, and with the announcement that both Stephanie and Shane would run it together, was concluded with disappointment on my part as I was hoping for something more exciting to happen.

I didn't expect the first restart of the WWE World Heavyweight Championship match from Shane, but once it happened, it seemed only inevitable that there would be a second restart too, but from Stephanie instead, and that when it really came to having a decisive victory, it was no surprise that it ended with Roman Reigns retaining his title.

Credit where credit is due to Reigns having a great match with AJ Styles, but it still doesn't make me like him being the champion.

While I am happy to see that AJ Styles will get a rematch at Extreme Rules, it didn't really seem to give it the importance it should have from the quick agreement backstage in the closing moments of Payback, and instead would probably have come across better as an announcement on the upcoming episode of Monday Night Raw.
Quote from: CM Punk
Please, if you say ‘Because it’s your destiny’, I swear to jeebus I’m going to start drinking.