Author Topic: Brock Lesnar Signs 2-Year Extension  (Read 813 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Brock Lesnar Signs 2-Year Extension
« on: 28 January 2013, 03:03:05 PM »
Brock Lesnar has reportedly come to terms with WWE on a deal that will keep him with the company for two more years, through till WrestleMania 31.

Lesnar has been working on a 1-year limited-appearance deal that called for approximately two appearances per month. With Lesnar off WWE television since the summer, WWE has been saving up the remaining dates on his current deal and plans to feature Lesnar prominently on television in the weeks leading up to WrestleMania 29.

Lesnar’s new contract would presumably include similar terms and opens up a slew of new storyline possibilities in the months ahead.

I can't wait to see him 2 times a year. So 4 times.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
Re: Brock Lesnar Signs 2-Year Extension
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2013, 10:36:30 PM »
Yeah I'd like to see the guy back but if he's only gonna work a couple of months out of the year it's kind of pointless. Lesnar's appeal was that he seemed like a monster that everyone feared. Now he just seems like a whiney bitch that doesn't want to work.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2013, 12:26:42 AM »
You just described every WWE heel.

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2013, 03:02:48 AM »
Lets be honest i want there to be a steroid allowance in this contract so we can see Brock wreck house again.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2013, 01:19:30 AM »
Even though its bullshit how much Lesnar has appeared, his appearance last year was amazing and had me tuning in every time he appeared. I definitely agree that he should sign a proper contract, these bit part appearances from big names hold down the show imo, we get these feuds built around the big names, who get the decent storylines and hold the show to their mercy, ruining it for the true fans who have to wait for The Rock to move on from his latest PR stunt.

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2013, 06:34:56 PM »
I find it kinda funny that the dirtsheets wrote that the wrestlers backstage were complaining about Jericho stealing a rumble spot from a full year worker when Rock and Lesnar just alternate dates as the headliner for the 3 most important months of the year.  Rock shows up for the first 4 weeks of 2013; then as soon as Lesnar shows up this week Rock is supposedly skipping next weeks Raw.  At least Jericho is committed to a house show schedule where he's probably putting over all the midcard talent.  The dirtsheet reporting doesn't make sense unless there's real personality problems backstage, but Jericho doesn't seem like that kind of guy compared to Lesnar/Rock. 

These storylines are all well and good, but it leaves me wondering where the WWE will be in 5 years when either these half year workers can't perform anymore due to age or their returns aren't as lucrative as they are now for the bottom line.  There hasn't been a mainstream crossover star since Cena (and I'm not sure how mainstream he really is) and when we get to Wrestlemania 35 it has me wondering who will they be able to rely on to carry the show?  Does that person even exist in the business yet?  The high quality talent pool is shrinking.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2013, 11:46:47 PM »
The high quality talent pool is shrinking.

I pretty much agree with everything you discussed except that last bit. I think there's an abundance of talent out there, but the problem isn't so much the talent itself, I think there's a problem with how the talent is used. How do you expect guys like Del Rio or Sheamus to be as big as Stone Cold when they have to come out with bad jokes week in week out. Every WWE face is exactly the same, there is no difference in character and the heels are kind of becoming like that as well, compare that to the attitude era where they had the opportunity to create more diverse characters. If The Rock debuted today, he'd never be able to reach the heights he achieved 10 years ago.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2013, 01:31:31 AM »
I find it kinda funny that the dirtsheets wrote that the wrestlers backstage were complaining about Jericho stealing a rumble spot from a full year worker when Rock and Lesnar just alternate dates as the headliner for the 3 most important months of the year.  Rock shows up for the first 4 weeks of 2013; then as soon as Lesnar shows up this week Rock is supposedly skipping next weeks Raw.  At least Jericho is committed to a house show schedule where he's probably putting over all the midcard talent.  The dirtsheet reporting doesn't make sense unless there's real personality problems backstage, but Jericho doesn't seem like that kind of guy compared to Lesnar/Rock. 

These storylines are all well and good, but it leaves me wondering where the WWE will be in 5 years when either these half year workers can't perform anymore due to age or their returns aren't as lucrative as they are now for the bottom line.  There hasn't been a mainstream crossover star since Cena (and I'm not sure how mainstream he really is) and when we get to Wrestlemania 35 it has me wondering who will they be able to rely on to carry the show?  Does that person even exist in the business yet?  The high quality talent pool is shrinking.

The thing about the Rock and Lesnar is that when they're there, they significantly increase ratings. Raw's ratings proved that. I'm sure it will be the same for the Rumble buyrate as well as Wrestlemania. Jericho is a big star but his entry in the rumble literally just takes someone's spot and wouldn't really have an effect on the buys. It's a stupid argument either way but I see the point. Rock being there though means everyone gets a bigger bonus in April.

And I think you're wrong that the talent pool is shrinking. WWE's ability in making that talent into stars is shrinking.

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2013, 07:29:35 PM »
Ratings last week actually weren't that good for a show featuring the Rock as his segment even lost viewers according to the Nielsen ratings.  This week was a different story because it had the lead in of the Royal Rumble PPV which was covered by mainstream media and is the official kick off for the "road to wrestlemania."  As for Jericho just taking a spot, you could argue that the Rock took someone's main event spot.  Annually, the Royal Rumble is the one PPV where the heavyweight title is not the main selling point of the show.  The WWE tends to give new and/or rising talent heavyweight title shots at this PPV in order to test the waters.

For example, 2012 = Dolph Ziggler vs. CM Punk, 2011 = Dolph Ziggler had his first title shot which was more unexpected, 2010 = Sheamus was actually the WWE Champion for this month shortly after his main roster debut, 2009 & 2008 = Jeff Hardy in the heavyweight title picture, 2007 = Umaga and Mr. Kennedy in the heavyweight title matches.  I could keep on going...

As for the high quality talent pool shrinking, I wasn't aiming that at the quality of the in ring performances, but the personalities and gimmicks that can transcend age groups, male/female interest, and enter the mainstream.  I think they could have done it with the Miz a few years ago, but they just didn't know what to do with him after he lost the belt.  As boring as he was, Boobly Lindsey could have done it.  Kurt Angle was the guy before he went off the deep end and entered obscurity in TNA.  Guys like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, ADR and Ziggler will always appeal to the typical wrestling fan, but will never draw those from the fringe.  Also what chappers wrote does apply, every face and heel that gives a promo these days sounds like its coming from one failed scripted reality show writer making it harder for an individual to stand out.  If you notice, most of the Rock's biggest pops are after he stretches the TV-PG limits.

I believe there are only two potential major paydays left for a major Wrestlemania event,  Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. CM Punk and Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. John Cena.  I'm not even sure those two are physically possible either.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the new Lesnar deal has him penciled in for the main event next year.  After that, will the Wrestlemania Main Event become "just another PPV" in a stadium?
« Last Edit: 31 January 2013, 07:39:13 PM by narcolepsy »

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2013, 07:58:46 PM »
The high quality talent pool is shrinking.

I pretty much agree with everything you discussed except that last bit. I think there's an abundance of talent out there, but the problem isn't so much the talent itself, I think there's a problem with how the talent is used. How do you expect guys like Del Rio or Sheamus to be as big as Stone Cold when they have to come out with bad jokes week in week out. Every WWE face is exactly the same, there is no difference in character and the heels are kind of becoming like that as well, compare that to the attitude era where they had the opportunity to create more diverse characters. If The Rock debuted today, he'd never be able to reach the heights he achieved 10 years ago.

Agreed everyone just seems so limited and restricted. Punk got over by not being that way they just seemingly won't let anyone else be like that or maybe talent is just afraid to speak up because they don't want to get de-pushed or fired.