Linked Events

• WWE Super SmackDown!: 30 August 2011

Author Topic: Super Smackdown Discussion: 2011/08/30  (Read 1244 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Super Smackdown Discussion: 2011/08/30
« on: 30 August 2011, 04:53:49 PM »

Confirmed:

Randy Orton vs. Christian in a Steel Cage for the World Heavyweight Championship

Alberto Del Rio vs. Sin Cara

CM Punk vs. The Great Khali

John Cena vs. Wade Barrett.

Seeing as SD is live tonight, might as well have a discussion thread. Looks like a good card too.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
Re: Super Smackdown Discussion: 2011/08/30
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2011, 06:46:01 PM »
Punk vs Kahli. Not interested.
Cena vs Barret, could be interesting. won't be a good match though if their past matches is any indication.
Christian vs Orton should be good but the result is pretty obvious. so obvious makes me wonder why they didn't just do this match on a taped show.
Del Rio vs Sin Cara may not happen.

Credit: PWInsider.com

WWE Champion Alberto Del Rio was not at RAW last night and word is that the visa paperwork he went to complete in Mexico over the weekend is not done yet. Until that's completed, Del Rio can't enter the country to work.

Regarding his match with Sin Cara at tonight's live SmackDown special, word backstage is that the match has been canceled but if Del Rio can make it to the tapings in time tonight, it will still go on. WWE had a detailed video package for the match set to air on RAW last night but held off.

on one side it's kind of a shame because Cara could finally work with another mexican wrestler and maybe he might actually look good for once. on the other hand if i don't see sin cara on this weeks SD I won't be upset.

So SD for me isn't too super. hopefully it will end up better than it sounds.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2011, 11:37:49 PM »
I don't mind Cara fighting Del Rio as he is bound to lose  :P
But seriously Cara might be marketable but they are essentially advertising a guy for every show who has not gone one match without a botch (and that includes Hunico's Sin Cara too who started off better but has ended up being just as catastrophic.)

In fact the only appeal to Sin Cara for me is how cool the T-Shirt looks considering it is a wrestling shirt (which can be seen on the poster for Super Smackdown.)

Punk vs Khali? What kind of crap is that lol.

Orton and Christian will be a good match though, they haven't put on a bad one yet. Cena/Barrett will be good too but it is a predictable outcome. I suppose it is like the Orton/Ziggler match where the main guys win but the other guy puts up a good fight and therefore gets a bit more over.

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2011, 07:03:54 AM »
Totally forgot this show was on...they should stay away from doing back to back nights except for the obvious Raw after a PPV.  When there isn't much storyline progress outside of the HHH/CM Punk contract signing, you need time to let Raw sink in before getting ready for Smackdown.

The talent supershows are going to lead to a lot of video recapping because it's hard to keep up with all the episodes.  If you only watch Raw, no one will have any idea what changed during the previous Smackdown.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2011, 07:14:36 AM »
I didn't really enjoy Super Smackdown at all.

First off the crowed was horrible. haven't heard this silent of a crowed in a long time. I'd rather have a lets go oilers chant.lol.

Cena Opening the show with the amazing RR was good. Cena actually tried to be funny and pulled it off for once.

Cena vs Barret was pretty bad though. it was pretty much a squash match. Orton vs Ziggler showed how to have the lower guy lose the match and look good and Cena and barret showed the opposite.

Bryan vs Cara was decent. i don't think Cara botched at all.i may be wrong and I'm sure mr Samoa Doe will let me know if i am. then Sin Cara turns heel after the match for no reason. might be to set up the sin cara vs sin cara feud that has been talked about? i don't know. i just don't get them pushing him so damn much when he has done an awful job so far. i guess cause he's triple H's pet.

Also Bryan loses his 5th TV/PPV match in a row i know a lot of you like it, but I'm not a fan of it.

Divas i skipped. DOD won though so that's nice. i don't get how alicia fox is all of a sudden a face now or so it seems just because natalya beat her up.
Aksana as the ring announcer makes no sense to me. she can barely speak English.

A lot of backstage interviews but none seemed like anything special

Punk/Triple H stuff was actually really good but the crowed was so dead for it it didn't come off that good at all. i think it might have been some of punks best mic work to date and the crowed just didn't really react unless it was to  something really simple like "I'm gonna kick your ass"  they didn't even react to triple H either really.  i liked the segment but the crowed hurt it IMO.

Sheamus vs Kahli....whats the point in having this bad match? then Sheamus makes Kahli and Jinder his bitch. we get it he's super sheamus now and you want everyone to love him. but this is not the way to go. and this really did nothing but take me out of the show even more.

Triple H Movie Trailer...  :prax

I didn't catch all of Orton vs Christian i just got the last 10 mins. from what i seen it was good. but the outcome was just so predictable i just didn't feel the need to watch it.  Orton wins. i don't know what's next for Christian now and Henry beats up Orton which was pretty good.

Commentary didn't really bother me this week though. am i just getting used to it or have they improved? i can't tell.

No Cody Rhodes or Ted Dibiase. Bummer
No Zeke Jackson. that's good
Nothing for Gabriel or slater. seems like they want to push them some weeks and forget them the next.
No Zack Ryder. fuck fuck fuck i know it.

Overall i didn't enjoy SD. only parts i liked were Cena on the mic at first. the content in Triple/PUnk segment not the segment its self. and the orton christian stuff was good.

My browser and whole comp seems to be messing up so if some words make no sense that's why. sorry.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2011, 07:27:03 AM »
Decent show but definitely not "Super"

Opener with Cena and Ricardo was great. I think Cena's enjoying himself more and it's helping him in all aspects. Seems like he's taking things less seriously.

The Cena/Barrett match was a disappointment though. I liked where it was going at the start, then it just ended. Barrett gets mic time then gets buried. Pointless other than to keep Cena busy.

Bryan vs Cara was good, surprised Cara didn't botch. But Bryan losing actually pissed me off finally. I don't care when it's against ADR or Barrett (when Barrett is actually getting pushed anyway), but why the fuck is he losing to the wrestler who's failed as two people? Then to just have him randomly turn heel. WWE clearly has a problem with priorities when it comes to this character, and now it's hurting guys like Bryan.

Punk/HHH was the highlight of the show. Both were awesome on the mic. Triple H really is amazing while speaking, couldn't have thought of a better guy to match Punk up with. I'm still on the fence about the angle getting hotshot, but I guess it's best to press the iron while it's hot, and Nash is still involved. Kinda marked when he hit the ring. Shit was intense and made me forget about how ridiculous the switch was.

I like that they're keeping Sheamus strong, and I don't really care if Khali and Jinder get buried. Dude needs to be on the show.

Unfortunately I missed most of Orton vs Christian but I liked what I saw. Will catch the replay friday. I'm sure they put on a great match and that's what counts. The point was to have a big match for the "supershow" and get Christian's rematch out of the way before the Henry feud. Henry goes massively over, Christian gets a good match, Orton is Orton. Everything works.

The show itself was decent, but I'm not ready to rate the inter-brand stuff. It's clear they're still adjusting and they have to introduce a lot of guys via promos, not to mention that there might be some new viewers with the fact that its a Tuesday show. Things should become more apparent in the coming weeks in regards to how the talents form the other show are going to be used.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2011, 11:17:22 AM »
The opening was fucking hilarious. I love Ricardo Rodriguez lol and the continuous announcing of Del Rio's name had me in stitches, especially when I saw the look on Cena's face. Then when Cena said shut up and made the comment about the cats having sex I laughed even more.
After Cena punched him Cole's comment was brilliant "Well that was polite." Then "Cena's a bully."
Anyway funny opener.

Barrett coming out and calling him pathetic was funny. The match was good and I was really getting into it but it ended really abruptly and Cena pretty much dominated it so I felt like it was a bit of a bury for Barrett. I agree with Prax that Cena seems to be taking things less seriously and loving it which is good to see. Was good to see him win with a big smile on his face.

I loved Henry's reply to Striker's question about what it is like being in a steel cage "That is the dumbest question ever."

Then Sin Cara came out and my good mood turned sour. Turned out to be a great match but that's probably because Cara was in the ring with the adaptable Bryan. Adam your right I didn't see a botch either. The end result was utter bullshit though. I can understand why the MITB winner has been losing to the likes of Christian and Del Rio but to Sin fucking Cara? Why do they keep giving this fuckwit wins? The King of the Indies, the MITB winner and an influential man widely considered to be the best in ring wrestler of our time loses to a guy who botches every fucking match he is in. Complete crap and just took away from a good match and ruined my enjoyment of the show up to this point. You could hear Boo's in the audience desite the fact there was hardly a reaction but then came the heel turn and the kick to the face. I don't know what will happen hear whether there's a face and a heel Sin Cara or whether they are turning him heel as they are afraid the smarks will start booing him in matches and he will receive the X-Pac treatment.

Evan Bourne sounds like a complete nerd in real life, i never noticed how geeky his voice is. I don't know whether the name AirBoom will stick or not.

Getting a bit bored of these continous Punk/Triple H segments. I don't get the purpose of the  segment being so long because it was just the same old stuff "You and me are a lot alike" cringey crap and Punk's character has kind of fizzled out and lost its purpose.
Only when Nash came out did the story really go somewhere and that short part was awesome seeing Punk get some mad kicks in and see Nash push Triple H over.

Sheamus/Khali just seemed pointless to me. Sheamus was already on Raw so why not put the IC champion Rhodes on the show. No Rhodes was a disappointment for me, would much rather see him than Khali or Sin fucking Cara.

Main event was good, kind of tuned out a bit but from what I saw was good. Orton gets the win and Henry beats him so I guess they plan to continue this Orton/Henry stuff and I think the whole point of bringing Christian back into the main event for this title match was to promote Super Smackdown and I guess if Henry wins to give Orton a good win so his title reign wasn't purely transitional.

Offline Majin HoHo

• Life is a Team Sport
« Reply #7 on: 1 September 2011, 01:44:43 PM »
Okay show Cara kicking Bryan in the face guarantees a Hunico vs Sin Cara battle! Bryan loses again tells he will lose the MITB Contract or does WWE want fans to forget he won it and when WM happens that shock OMG Bryan cashing in the Contract goes down.Orton vs Christan was great.Game of chain Wrestling and Christan looked at points to win the World Title match.Henry attacking Orton at the end boring as ever.Henry will be sucking air within 5 minutes when he faces Orton.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #8 on: 7 September 2011, 03:48:55 PM »
SYFY TOUTS SUPER SMACKDOWN RATING | PWInsider.com

Wasn't sure whether a one time shot on a new day would mean amazing ratings but clearly more people watch TV on Tuesday than Friday. I really hope they change the date (even though that would mean I'd have nothing to watch Fridays when I'm home lol)