Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* Raw Discussion thread: August 22nd 2011  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Majin HoHo

• Life is a Team Sport
*OFFICIAL* Raw Discussion thread: August 22nd 2011
« on: 22 August 2011, 11:36:13 PM »
I expect the cracks to open with Punk trying to find out who screwed him over.Cena might be involved in a tag match with Del Rio sneaking away with a win.What will go down with Ziggler and Swagger and Otunga and Mike will try get revenge against Bourne and Kofi. DISCUSS BOYS AND GIRLS!

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
Re: #Official# Raw Discussion thread: August 22nd
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2011, 12:03:49 AM »
I don't think we have any girls here.lol.

for the first week in a while I'm actually not looking forward to Raw this week. I Guess i kind of want to see where the Swagger/Vickie/Ziggler stuff goes. and and maybe see what punk does next but that's about it. i just hope Miz get some sort of direction and Morrison/Truth feud keeps going.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Re: *OFFICIAL* Raw Discussion thread: August 22nd
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2011, 01:39:26 AM »
I usually find that when I'm not hyped for RAW it ends up being a good show. So we'll see.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
and so it was.

Opening stuff with ADR/Punk/Cena was good at first but then it seemed to drag on a bit.

ADR vs Morrison was AWESOME! one of my favorite matches of the year. John Morrison is the best in ring performer in the WWE IMO. it's too bad he's in the doghouse. and loses most of the time. he took del rio to the limit though and i don't mind him losing but it seems everyone else on Raw has a direction but him unless he gets into the US title picture somehow or traded to SD. they might have written him off with the post match attack by Del rio and who knows that might be the last we see of Morrison. I hope not though. Come to think of it Bryan might be doing an injury angle too since Del rio attacked him after the SD match but we'll see.

Swagger vs Riley was meh, but i liked Vickie in Swaggs corner i liked what they did with Ziggler. don't mind Riley winning here. Just hope he doesn't win the US title. to me it just seems like Vickie and Swagger fit better together already. and i think Ziggler is ready to be on his own. i think he has all the skills to keep himself over as a heel.

Skipped the Divas. just the same thing. Bellas losing to Kelly and Eve. i feel like some form of that happens every week.

Nash/Triple H/Punk segment was good and a lot better than last weeks.

Kofi & Bourne vs MM & Otunga. well I'm glad Kofi & Evan are champs. it's about time WWE put a title on Bourne. but Jeryy Lawler calling out Cole and JR for not calling the match was good. and then he really seems to hate MM & Otunga. i doubt we will see them again on Raw for a while at least in a winning role.

Miz & Truth were AWESOME! You could tell Miz was trying to keep a straght face out there with some of what was going on. the crowed was REALLY annoying though with those horrible "What" Chants. i wish Austin never started that i hate it. Truth and Miz did a good job though and had me lmao. looks like they are the new tag team around to challenge the new tag champs.

Punk vs Cena was predictable especially with the extremely fake backstage segment with Triple H and Johnny Ace. then why doesn Johnny Ace have to be out there at the end? Vince never did that. no owner or guy in charge does that and he didn't even effect the match. just seems pointless. Punk vs Cena was great though until the end which seemed predictable as i said before. but it sets up ADR vs Cena and Naash vs Punk as expected.

Oh yeah and the crowed chanting "Lets go oilers" during the main event was annoying. just seemed like they didn't care and made the match seem less important than it was supposed to be. but i dunno maybe they knew what was gonna happen too and were just trying to find something to do before Nash screwed punk.

2 Great matches, new tag champs. a couple of good mic segments and enjoyable stuff with the US title scene. Good Raw.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
Opening promo was standard.
First match was really good, Morrison really pulled out the stops and Alberto was consistent too. The HHH/Punk/Nash bit was awesome.
Swagger/Riley was good, Riley got a win and the Swagger/Vickie/Ziggler storyline progressed.
The tag match JR and King were really shit on commentary, they kept slating McGillicutty and Otunga for not defending their title. As Cole said "Is it their fault?" and then JR went on to say they weren't successful and Cole rightfully pointed out how they surely have been if they have held it for three months. King and JR really need to get with the programme sometimes and back up their facts. The reason they have been a crap tag team is more to do with the fact that Vince shit on the tag division whereas Triple H hasn't (which is the best thing about Triple H's reign so far imo.)
Anyway great match and love the new champions. Evan wins his first bit of gold (long overdue) and Kofi perhaps can get his career rolling on a different path. Rather than be stuck in midcard forever he can become something big in the tag team division for now. Love the new champs!

The Miz and R-Truth bit was awesome. I hate it when the fans do WHAT all the time. If I was a wrestler I'd have just said "If you say what it means Canada sucks" then it will shut them up but if they continue just say "What's that? Canada sucks?" Best way of dealing with it IMO.
But you look at how those two got the crowd going and have to hand it to them. Miz was on form like how he was before he won the WWE title (which is how I like him) and not the boring, stale shit he has done throughout his title reign and after. As for Truth that man needs a world title at some point nuff said. He is the complete package and if they had moved him to SD imagine how amazing a feud with Orton could be. Way better than Orton/Henry despite the fact Henry has improved.

Lawler pissed me off again at the beginning of the main event by saying Punk's wins weren't legitimate.
Anyway great match and is Cena going to turn heel? Because that ending was definitely cheap as hell? I think it will transpire that Triple H staged the trip to hospital to make it look like he was innocent but he is in on it all. Perhaps Cena will be on team HHH/Nash.
Anyway I loved Del Rio's attack at the end, it was savage as Lawler said (despite the fact he pissed me off the whole show) "This isn't frustration, the guy's a maniac." Really loved that angle and loved seeing Del Rio show what he is capable of. I think he will be a fantastic champion.
It almost seemed as if you should cheer Del Rio on at the end as well because of the cheap finish and perhaps because right now I see Punk as more of a rightful champion than Cena.
Anyway Punk/Cena/Del Rio in the main event is making for a good one and I'm loving the Triple H/Nash storyline. What makes it better is that there is something about Nash that I find truly detestable.

Great show!
The minor annoyance was Lawler and the major annoyance was the crowd- they were fucking annoying.

Offline ftwpodcast

• FTWPodcast.com
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): CM Punk
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2011, 02:44:50 PM »
@john, That was a hot crowd, though. There were moments when they were annoying, but they were really into the show. Got to love a good Canadian crowd.

The only thing that confused me about the ending was Punk's disappearance. Would have liked to see him storm to the back to find Nash.
Much like you, we talk about wrestling. Just, in podcast form: ftwpodcast.com

Offline J.D

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
I dunno I'd have to agree with Adam as the "Oilers" chants really pissed me off too.
They were getting into it which is good but that chant was obnoxious. And yeah I felt they should have had Punk storm to the back too, guess they ran out of time though.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
I'm not buying the JoMo doghouse stuff anymore. Dude's been in like 6 or 7 matches since his return, including a fucking amazing match against the world champ. You don't get a high profile RAW match against the champ if you're in the doghouse. Win or lose he looked great in that. Adam I think you're overreacting, the dude had an amazing match against Del Rio, there's no way they're writing him off after that. He may not be amazing on the mic but he's proven two weeks in a row he's a star in the ring. What did you expect? For him to beat the champion?

And speaking of which, I love how they're booking Del Rio. Strong heel who wins more or less cleanly, but has a mean streak in him attacking all of his opponents. It's making him look really strong, one of the best heel champs in a while. He's won like 6 or 7 matches in a row now lol. This is how you build a champ.

Cena/Punk was great but there obviously wasn't going to be a clean finish. I don't understand the problem with Johnny Ace out there? Why is this guy getting so much raw hatred? He's a good heel suit-type, and obviously he had something to do with getting rid of Triple H. Like how that storyline is progressing, and Cena/ADR has great built, beat down at the end was great.

Also, complaining about the crowd chanting "let's go oilers?" Who cares? If they're chanting it means they're into it. In Montreal we chant "ole ole ole" and "Go Habs Go" but it doesn't mean we're not into it.

And I loved how the crowd kept throwing Cena's shirt back. Even Punk and ADR were like wtf haha.

MM/Otunga losing the titles = finally. I'm glad Bourne and Kofi got them, I think that's Bourne's first title in WWE and he more than deserves it. I didn't like King/JR hating on Old-New-Nexus so much, it's like King doesn't watch SD or Superstars. I can't believe I actually agreed with Cole for once. It's like he's night and day on RAW vs. SD.

Swagger/Riley was obviously for storyline purposes, and I kind of like what they're doing.

Opening promo was okay, like Adam said it kind of dragged on but whatever. Trips/Nash/Punk promo was good. Liked the Miz and Truth promo a lot, although I don't understand why Truth is rapping again lol. These two are going to make a good team.

Great raw overall, as I predicted lol

Offline J.D

« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2011, 04:16:41 PM »
I'm not buying the JoMo doghouse stuff anymore. Dude's been in like 6 or 7 matches since his return, including a fucking amazing match against the world champ. You don't get a high profile RAW match against the champ if you're in the doghouse. Win or lose he looked great in that. Adam I think you're overreacting, the dude had an amazing match against Del Rio, there's no way they're writing him off after that. He may not be amazing on the mic but he's proven two weeks in a row he's a star in the ring. What did you expect? For him to beat the champion?

And speaking of which, I love how they're booking Del Rio. Strong heel who wins more or less cleanly, but has a mean streak in him attacking all of his opponents. It's making him look really strong, one of the best heel champs in a while. He's won like 6 or 7 matches in a row now lol. This is how you build a champ.

Cena/Punk was great but there obviously wasn't going to be a clean finish. I don't understand the problem with Johnny Ace out there? Why is this guy getting so much raw hatred? He's a good heel suit-type, and obviously he had something to do with getting rid of Triple H. Like how that storyline is progressing, and Cena/ADR has great built, beat down at the end was great.

Also, complaining about the crowd chanting "let's go oilers?" Who cares? If they're chanting it means they're into it. In Montreal we chant "ole ole ole" and "Go Habs Go" but it doesn't mean we're not into it.

And I loved how the crowd kept throwing Cena's shirt back. Even Punk and ADR were like wtf haha.

MM/Otunga losing the titles = finally. I'm glad Bourne and Kofi got them, I think that's Bourne's first title in WWE and he more than deserves it. I didn't like King/JR hating on Old-New-Nexus so much, it's like King doesn't watch SD or Superstars. I can't believe I actually agreed with Cole for once. It's like he's night and day on RAW vs. SD.

Swagger/Riley was obviously for storyline purposes, and I kind of like what they're doing.

Opening promo was okay, like Adam said it kind of dragged on but whatever. Trips/Nash/Punk promo was good. Liked the Miz and Truth promo a lot, although I don't understand why Truth is rapping again lol. These two are going to make a good team.

Great raw overall, as I predicted lol

Did you read what I wrote on the tag match? Because we wrote virtually the same thing lol. And yeah that was Bourne's first bit of gold, hopefully he gets his career rolling now.

I don't think Morrison is in the doghouse I just don't think they know what to do with him because he is one of the many midcarders who can't quite crack into the main event. The Morrison/Truth feud had potential as what he needs is a storyline. Unfortunately Del Rio, Cena, Punk and even Miz would come before Morrison in terms of the WWE title.
Morrison should be put in a storyline where he can pull off some good matches then put on SD at the next draft where he can make the leap into the running for the world heavyweight.

Offline Fluttershy

• My Secret Combination
  • My Little Pony, My Little Pony
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Bella Twins, Beth Phoenix, Gail Kim, KHARMA, Maryse, Vickie Guerrero, AJ, Layla, Natalya, Rosa Mendes, Tara, Winter, Cherry, Ivory, Jazz, Jillian Hall, Lena Yada, Lita, Melina, Molly Holly, Nidia, Sable, Stephanie McMahon, Stacy Keibler, Torrie Wilson,
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2011, 05:24:56 PM »
Cena New no1 contender  :Kane:

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2011, 06:32:36 PM »
Amazing RAW in my opinion

I'm surprised at how much people are slating the crowd on this one, aside from the what chants they were terrific and really made the show more engaging.

Opening promo with Punk, Cena and Del Rio was good stuff, felt Del Rio was the best part of it to be honest with his cheap heel comments every now and then

Del Rio Morrison really good match, I think Morrison is just having one of those spells where he's just not going to have a story for a while, but I don't mind the guy had a really good match here. Just give it some patience and time and he'll be back doing something and its not like the show is being pulled down because Morrison doesn't have direction.

Michael McGillicutty and David Otunga finally losing the championship was a relief, I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see them released or thrown back down to FCW if I'm honest. Glad Kofi and Bourne got the victory and it gives them both something fresh to do. I expect Miz and Truth to challenge them for the tag championships at NOC and hopefully have a feud that will last a little while.

The US championship getting a storyline of some sorts is really good as well, it seems we finally have storylines backing everything at the moment rather then the usual dross we have, hopefully they keep it up.

The promo between Punk, Nash and Triple H was awesome, especially the cheap comment Punk made right at the end of it, amazing stuff right here. Plus this whole thing is pretty layered, we have Triple H, Nash, Johnny Ace, Stephanie McMahon, Del Rio and maybe Cena all possibly ganging up on this thing and its pretty unpredictable in terms of where they are going to go with it. Good stuff right here.

Main event was awesome, like Prax I loved that moment when the crowd lobbed Cena's shirt back at him twice lol, I have to feel sorry for Cena on that though but it was funny stuff and what made it more awesome was the fact they zoomed up on Del Rio laughing and the crowd accepted Punks shirt and not Cenas lol. Brilliant match though it was just frustrating knowing that it was going to end cheaply. Oh well. As for Cena winning, wouldn't be surprised to see Punk call for a spot in the match seeing as he was cheated out. To be honest, all three guys have a legitimate chance at winning the championship and I see them all being the top dogs at the moment, I want to see them have a triple threat as I reckon they could pull it out the bag and I think the Nash stuff can carry on to the following PPV.

I have to say Cole was a lot better during this show did anyone else pick up on that, he seemed to be more of a commentator and just get on with his job with the odd "heel" quip here and there. Lawler though was terrible, if it was just JR and Cole it would have been really good to be honest, but Lawler pissed me off especially with that comment he made in the main event on CM Punk, what was he thinking on that :uglystupid2:

Overall a really good RAW with little to complain about if I'm honest, I just hope they keep up with these adjustments.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2011, 08:07:50 PM »

Did you read what I wrote on the tag match? Because we wrote virtually the same thing lol. And yeah that was Bourne's first bit of gold, hopefully he gets his career rolling now.

I don't think Morrison is in the doghouse I just don't think they know what to do with him because he is one of the many midcarders who can't quite crack into the main event. The Morrison/Truth feud had potential as what he needs is a storyline. Unfortunately Del Rio, Cena, Punk and even Miz would come before Morrison in terms of the WWE title.
Morrison should be put in a storyline where he can pull off some good matches then put on SD at the next draft where he can make the leap into the running for the world heavyweight.

Great minds think alike. Now if only I could stop confusing you with Chappers :P

They definitely need a good storyline for Morrison but hey, he's coming off an injury, I'm willing to give it some time.

And another thing on the crowd, cities like Edmonton get live shows like once every few years if not less. So long as they're engaging and into it let them cheer what they want. After the Montreal screwjob it was nearly a decade before WWE started coming back up here for RAWs and PPVs, so I know how it feels.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23 August 2011, 08:29:01 PM »

Of course i wouldn't expect him to beat the champion. but that's not what i was saying at all. if you look at raw going forward you have the next month pretty much set it seems. Cena/ADR Nash/Punk Ziggler/Swagger/Riley Miz&Truth/Kofi/Bourne. i just see nowhere for morrison to go in the next 4 weeks unless he get's involved in the US title picture which is already going so i don't really see that.

I Just don't get why Johnny Ace was out there. he did his part in getting Triple H out of the building and then he just sat out there for no reason and did nothing.

If they are chanting "Let's go oilers" in a no 1 contenders match they are into it? that doesn't sound like they are into it. maybe if they were chanting for one of the guys in the match but chanting for some hockey team in what was supposed to be the most important match of the night was annoying. other than that and the "What" Chants they were good though.

Offline Majin HoHo

• Life is a Team Sport
« Reply #13 on: 23 August 2011, 11:32:56 PM »
What an Raw! Del Rio vs Morrison was, solid,but,to me John looked lost not knowing what to do.Miz an Truth was great on the mic I wonder if they are the two to interest us in the tag division.Divas match waste of space. Is the King turning heel again? MAN HE WAS BURNING OTUNGA AND MIKE! King was an average Wrestler with charisma on the mic sounds like Otunga.The Main Event was great but there goes Punk back down away from the WWE TITLE scene.Cena won't win since Alberto just won the gold.Solid Raw next week will be better.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #14 on: 24 August 2011, 04:10:19 AM »

Of course i wouldn't expect him to beat the champion. but that's not what i was saying at all. if you look at raw going forward you have the next month pretty much set it seems. Cena/ADR Nash/Punk Ziggler/Swagger/Riley Miz&Truth/Kofi/Bourne. i just see nowhere for morrison to go in the next 4 weeks unless he get's involved in the US title picture which is already going so i don't really see that.

I Just don't get why Johnny Ace was out there. he did his part in getting Triple H out of the building and then he just sat out there for no reason and did nothing.

If they are chanting "Let's go oilers" in a no 1 contenders match they are into it? that doesn't sound like they are into it. maybe if they were chanting for one of the guys in the match but chanting for some hockey team in what was supposed to be the most important match of the night was annoying. other than that and the "What" Chants they were good though.

It's just a chant. You're reading too much into it. They were into it for 2 hours, and it was a great main event. Why would they suddenly not be into it? If they lost interest they would just be silent, not chant something. It's just something people in that city are used to chanting, and hockey starts in like a month. Like I said, it's just a Canadian thing, and I'm sure if you paid attention you'd notice it when RAW was in other Canadian cities too.

And I have no trouble with Morrison floating for a little while if he keeps getting onto shows and getting some good matches. It's the ebb and flow and what he's been doing the last couple of weeks has been positive for him even if he's not in an actual feud.

And Johnny Ace may not have done anything other than hold Del Rio back at the end but he's still involved in the storyline and likely the guy behind a lot of the Nash stuff so maybe it was just to remind the crowd that he's involved, especially since he's not exactly a recognizable face. Why are you complaining about someone not doing something? It didn't take anything away from the main event.