Author Topic: Smackdown! SPOILERS: 8/19/11  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Fluttershy

• My Secret Combination
  • My Little Pony, My Little Pony
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Bella Twins, Beth Phoenix, Gail Kim, KHARMA, Maryse, Vickie Guerrero, AJ, Layla, Natalya, Rosa Mendes, Tara, Winter, Cherry, Ivory, Jazz, Jillian Hall, Lena Yada, Lita, Melina, Molly Holly, Nidia, Sable, Stephanie McMahon, Stacy Keibler, Torrie Wilson,
Smackdown! SPOILERS: 8/19/11
« on: 17 August 2011, 04:13:51 PM »
Dark Match:

* Bo Rotunda defeated Joey Ryan.

SmackDown, Airing Friday:

* Tonight's main event will be a 20-man battle royal to crown a new #1 contender to Randy Orton's World Heavyweight Title.

* Cody Rhodes defeats Ezekiel Jackson with the Intercontinental Title on the line.

* Justin Gabriel beat Tyson Kidd in an exciting match, with the 450 splash.

* WWE Champion Alberto Del Rio defeated Daniel Bryan in a non-title match, by submission.

* WWE Divas Champion Kelly Kelly and AJ Lee defeated Alicia Fox and Natalya.

* Mark Henry won a battle royal to become the new #1 contender to the World Heavyweight Title. The match came down to Henry, Sheamus, Wade Barrett and Sin Cara. Henry ended up eliminating Sin Cara in the end to win. SmackDown ends with Henry and Randy Orton staring each other down.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Re: Smackdown! SPOILERS: 8/19/11
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2011, 04:33:47 PM »
rofl ADR beats Bryan again. Kidd is on the show for a third week but loses again.

Wonder whether Christian was in the Battle Royal but the final four and the winner make sense. Looks like a hit or miss SD but we'll see, I'm a sucker for Battle Royals.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2011, 07:19:53 PM »
Looks like no new storylines besides the Henry vs Orton set up. so I'm not really interested. I don't like how Bryan and Kidd are the 2 jobbers of SD though both of those matches will probably be good but i hate how they bring ADR over to SD with no logic.. I'm glad they got zekes rematch out of the way so next week Cody can move on to a new feud.  also don't really got Natalya teaming with Fox when Fox is just another diva type like kelly. and i don't get them losing. figured the divas of doom should look strong. eh oh well looks like next weeks show will be the one to watch for anything new.

Got to wonder if this is the hunico sin cara or the mistico sin cara i believe mistico suspension is up now right? probably wrong.

Shouldn't christian get a rematch just like every other champion does? seems like they would have it on this weeks show.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2011, 07:57:57 PM »
- Thanks to Randy for the updated details from last night's WWE SmackDown tapings in Bakersfield, CA:

* The opening segment had Teddy Long and Randy Orton. Orton talked about moving on from Orton and that's when Teddy announced the 20 man battle royal for a new #1 contender. Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes came out. They talked about Legacy and Randy RKO'd Ted. Cody wanted to win the battle royal and get a title shot but Teddy booked him against Zeke in the IC Title rematch.

* There was a segment with Teddy and Zack Ryder. Ryder has invited Alberto Del Rio to SmackDown. Aksana appeared and flirted with Teddy some more, saying she knows why they call him "Long."

* They did a nice video package for Justin Gabriel before he beat Tyson Kidd.

* There was a backstage segment with tension between Jinder Mahal and The Great Khali.

* Alberto Del Rio cut a promo before he beat Daniel Bryan, talking about his 1 year anniversary in WWE. Del Rio challenged anyone to come out and that's when Daniel Bryan did. This was the match of the night and went longer than the others. The crowd loves it. Del Rio attacked Bryan after the match which brought out Sin Cara to make the save.

* After AJ Lee and Kelly Kelly beat Natalya and Alicia Fox, Fox and Natalya argued. This led to Natalya taking Alicia down and putting her in the Sharpshooter.

* Randy Orton was on commentary for the battle royal. There was no Christian in the match but like you said before he was in the dark main event. Sin Cara was over big time in the match and made several eliminations. The crowd was really into it when it came down to he and Mark Henry, who won. At best I can remember, here are the orders of elimination for the battle royal. I think Daniel Bryan was shown in the graphic but don't think he was in the match.

Johnny Curtis
Yoshi Tatsu
Trent Baretta
Cody Rhodes
Zack Ryder
Ezekiel Jackson
Heath Slater
The Great Khali
William Regal
Justin Gabriel
The Uso Brothers, at once by Cara
Tyson Kidd
Jinder Mahal
Ted DiBiase
Wade Barrett
Sheamus
Sin Cara
Winner: Mark Henry

Some more details on the show makes it looks a little better IMO. Well not for Ted Dibiase.lol. but a little Rhodes vs Orton tease it seemed.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2011, 08:48:26 PM »
Losing a couple matches in a row while holding MITB doesn't make you a jobber.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2011, 09:35:43 PM »
Losing a couple matches in a row while holding MITB doesn't make you a jobber.

Agreed.

I do normally think they should keep wrestlers on the brands they belong but in this case I see the point. ADR is a first time WWE champion and a pretty new guy, he needs as much exposure as possible so putting him on SD makes sense. They are just trying to get people more familiar with him and they probably did it for the Mexican fanbase as well.

Henry was pretty much the only guy I could see getting into the main event other than Christian. I wonder what Christian will be doing now though? Fighting in the dark main event seems a bit stupid, they could have at least had him come out and whine a little.

Rhodes defending the title sounds good and the confrontation sounds awesome. I hope he has a good run as a strong IC champ then heads into the main event because an Orton/Rhodes main event would be amazing. Rhodes could go all psycho (like how Orton was back in the day) and because Orton is older now he could be the veteran face being tormented by the cocky heel.
For now Orton/Henry would be good. Perhaps it is time for them to give Henry a courtesy run as if they are ever going to do it makes sense now. The guy has beat Big Show, Kane and Sheamus so is pretty much the top monster in the company at the moment.

Del Rio/Bryan will be a good match and as Prax said Bryan isn't jobbing. Bryan has the MITB briefcase and he lost to the WWE champion (hardly jobbing.)

EDIT: Oh and Sin Cara making the save is meh :prax

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2011, 03:15:07 PM »
I think Barrett or Sheamus could have gone up against Orton as well (less Sheamus considering the crowd could side with him potentially). SD main event is actually looking kind of decent at the moment.

Only problem I have is that if your new, first time WWE champ is going to be on the show, make a bigger deal out of it. ADR deserves the fanfare.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2011, 09:50:40 PM »
Yeah wouldn't want to put a new face against the biggest face on the brand that might confuse some people.

- The original Sin Cara, the former Mistico, is able to return to WWE after today. He was suspended by WWE back on July 18th for his first violation of the WWE Wellness Policy. WWE developmental star Hunico has been portraying Cara under the mask ever since.

Looks like Mistico can return next week, it will be really interesting to see what they do here. if they go the sin cara vs sin cara way they have made this false sin cara look pretty strong too. also the announcers have commented on how sin cara had muscled up. wonder what they are gonna say when or if the old one comes back. really interested to see how this goes.

Offline J.D

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2011, 10:02:27 PM »
They might just accept Mistico back and forget about Hunico but I agree an angle would make much more sense and be more fun.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2011, 02:10:43 AM »
Kind of ironic how he goes away for a wellness violation and they brag about how he's bulked up while he's away :P

Offline J.D

« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2011, 01:12:44 PM »
True that.
What are they going to say when he returns? To be honest maybe they should just keep Hunico in the role of Sin Cara seeing as he didn't do steroids and that nobody is any the wiser. If they want to give Mistico another chance he can come back but with a different gimmick as a deterrent for doing steroids.

Anyway good Smackdown. Still think its odd Christian didn't appear on it as the whole "He didn't dare show his face" thing makes him look like a pussy and I don't really see where he will fit on the show now.
Imo they should do a small switchover soon because the landscape of the WWE has changed- just switch Christian and Morrison/Miz around.

I enjoyed the opening promo, Cody's voice can sound really stupid but regardless he seems far more confident and skilled on the mic than others and he gets a reaction from the crowd. I enjoyed his rematch with Jackson and I liked the fact they gave him a clean win despite the fact he is a heel. It makes him look credible and winning the rematch is a good start to having a reign people care about.

Kidd/Gabriel was a good match from two good workers. I could see Gabriel being the guy to eventually take the title off Rhodes as he is a face with a similar career so far (departed from successful heel tag team and cracking into the singles.)

The main event was good, they are building Henry up to be a destructive threat. I think he might win a courtesy title and have a couple of runs because Orton is already extremely over (he barely ever loses) so he doesn't need to defeat a monster as he has full credibility already (for example Orton vs Punk feud Orton won every single match and this could have even ended Punk's chance of being a main eventer again had Punk not pulled it out the bag with that amazing promo.)
However it seems likely Henry will continue to be built as a monster then Orton will defeat him which seems entirely pointless when there are young guys at a standstill on Raw who are bordering on the main event and would benefit from jumping ship and feuding with Orton e.g. Miz and R-Truth.
Basically if they aren't going to have a feud where the titles are switched then I don't see the point in this feud as Orton is over and we could have something fresher and less stale.

Oh and I hope Rhodes has a dominant IC reign to build him up for the main event because Orton/Rhodes could be amazing.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2011, 11:17:13 PM »
Alright Smackdown, stream I watched had parts cut out but I got the majority of what I needed from it aside from the Del Rio/Bryan stuff.

Opening promo with Rhodes and Orton was pretty good, found the RKO on DiBiase from out of nowhere hilarious. Rhodes shouting at Teddy Long was great, would like to see more of that side to Rhodes. The problem with his voice is that it takes a few seconds for him to adjust to it which is why it sounds so weird, and plus he talks a lot slower with it as well, needs some work but its still entertaining. The guy has definitely come a long way though, but just needs that extra confidence in his mic work to use his own voice :dx

Match with Jackson was ok but Jackson really needs to improve in the ring. Aside from his physique and look, Jackson doesn't have much going for him.

Kidd and Gabriel had a really good match I thought, why isn't Kidd getting pushed more the guy has so much going for him, push him god damnit!

Didn't catch Del Rio stuff as mentioned. But I don't really mind Del Rio being on the show as others have stated.

Divas couldn't give a toss about, wouldn't be surprised to see Alicia Fox future endeavoured after this week lol

The battle royal was really good, seem to always enjoy their battle royals. Only thing I didn't like was Sin Cara getting to the final 2, Sin Cara getting cheers (why would anyone want to cheer him?) and Rhodes getting eliminated earlier then some jobbers. After slating Henry for quite some time, bizarrely I found myself rooting for him by the end, his work lately has actually been really good and I think he deserves a run with the title at some point. I just hope they give Orton a run with the belt for a couple months first as it seems like the WHC has been changing hands too much lately and that kind of thing annoys me.

Offline Majin HoHo

• Life is a Team Sport
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2011, 11:21:32 PM »
I think their Fathers would want it to happen.Both were bred for Wrestling since they were born.I think Rhodes will be in the main event scene within 6 months since the field is open after Christan and Henry for title shots.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2011, 02:50:53 AM »
2, Sin Cara getting cheers (why would anyone want to cheer him?)

Are you fucking serious?

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #14 on: 20 August 2011, 01:00:14 PM »
What is there to cheer about, his moves are mostly botches, he can't cut a promo and he dresses like Ming the Merciless.