Linked Events

• WWE Capitol Punishment: 19 June 2011

Author Topic: Official Capitol Punishment Discussion *Spoilers*  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Dale

Official Capitol Punishment Discussion *Spoilers*
« on: 31 May 2011, 05:37:19 PM »

CONFIRMED CARD

WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
 R-Truth vs. John Cena

-------

Truth vs Cena was announced via Cole after the show went off the air and there's a video on wwe.com of it here. Other matches i'd expect to see

The Miz vs Alex Riley
 Kofi Kingston vs Dolph Ziggler
 ADR vs Big Show unless they keep Show out longer and have Kane cross over?
 CM Punk vs Rey
 WHC situation i'm not entirely sure on, although I figure it's heading to a Fatal 4-Way

Offline Majin HoHo

• Life is a Team Sport
Re: Official Capitol Punishment Discussion *Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2011, 05:49:46 PM »
This ppv will blow last month's ppv for sure.Did anyone think truth might win the belt just holding it till morrison comes back from injury? Their has to be some reason why he's getting a push now.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2011, 06:22:59 PM »
No I think Truth has got this title off his own merit for a fantastic heel turn. I don't think Morrison will win the title anytime soon.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2011, 07:06:52 PM »
Truth has been awesome, but in my opinion he's obviously just being fed to Cena. No way they take it off him now, he's going to have a loooong title run, possibly into 2012.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline J.D

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2011, 07:19:43 PM »
I think they plan for Cena to have the title a long time but whether they stick that out or not I'm not sure. Regardless by WM the title will still be on/be back on Cena.

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2011, 08:16:15 PM »
I think Cena is going to lose the belt sometime in late autumn/early winter only to win it back at the Elimination Chamber.  Around late November is when I expect the feud with the Rock to kick back into gear like they did when HBK challenged Undertaker to a Wrestlemania rematch at the Slammys.  This will eventually lead to Cena losing the belt and Rock poking some fun at him and saying he doesn't want Cena to disappoint the fans in that he won't make it to Mania with the belt, in effect cancelling the match, after having it for so long.

I'm not so hot on the R-Truth heel turn that others are, but it was a last resort to salvage a serious WWE career for him.  As a face with his previous gimmick, I've said to some that R-Truth would never get any higher than a guy like Santino is currently, a crowd pleaser that either opens the show or puts new heel talent over.  I wish they had taken things slower with him, but in the current WWE era they've skipped the slow build model.  If R-Truth had failed as a heel, I'm not sure if he'd have much value to them anymore and could have gotten swept up in the spring cleaning as an older talent who hasn't accomplished much.  I don't think Truth's promos have been all that exceptional, but the way he handled the initial X-Pac heat reaction with the WHAT?!'s helped get him over as the schizo the crowd loves to boo.  Now it's up to how he handles a prime PPV match as to where he goes from here.

As for Alex Riley, I think the true test for him is what happens after the feud with the Miz.  At this point, anyone who isn't John Cena is a major babyface against the Miz.  If he can bring this crowd reaction to his next feud against an Alberto Del Rio, a CM Punk, or a Dolph Ziggler it will be much more impressive.  Now that he has “official theme music” it shows that the WWE has major confidence that they believe this guy will be a top draw in future years.  I think this feud with the Miz should get a two/three month treatment, where Miz wins at Capitol Punishment to show Riley that he still has something to learn and then Riley finally gets his revenge at Money In the Bank (or even in the MITB match) leading to a blow off 1 on 1 match at Summerslam for the MITB briefcase itself…which is sort of ironic?

The WWE is stuck in a little rut right now as a bunch of feuds have ended after Over the Limit, but it’s hard to build mid card feuds with the July PPV constructed around 2 matches of 8 men.  Capitol Punishment will consist of the WWE’s best makeshift wrestling card and then all things will mesh together for 4 weeks until they can ultimately set up for Wrestlemania Lite at Summerslam.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2011, 08:33:37 PM »
It's not the things Truth says, it's how he gets the crowd into it, face or heel. He's exceptional at drawing heat and every time he's out there he finds a new way to do it, whether it's by smoking a cigarette, drinking water, toppling a merch stand or calling someone Little Jimmy. Add to that how capable he is in the ring and you have a good package. I wouldn't mind seeing with with the world title around his waist at some point, but it's too soon. In my mind he's obviously being fed. Cena just won the title like a month and a half ago.

Thing with Cena is that they like long runs with him, and they haven't had a near-long run for a few years. If he loses it, it's to put over Del Rio for a month. Either he loses it the PPV before Summerslam so he can chase heading into the second biggest PPV, or in the fall like narc said, but he won't be without the title for more than 30 days IMO.

And while I wouldn't call it a "rut", it's definitely sort of a transitional period until they can start building for Summerslam. But I'm liking how this PPV is shaping up, some good mini feuds and the potential for a lot of good matches.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline J.D

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2011, 08:53:11 PM »
I think part of the reason for the X-Pac treatment was because he was in the UK and they seem less familiar with the wrestlers (unless your Cena, Regal or Orton) so the "WHO ARE YA" chants set him off to some quite bad heat. But he has turned that around and he is on the verge of main event which is good.

Offline J.D

« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2011, 06:28:41 AM »
I cannot stream videos where I am at the moment but upon reviewing the results this seemed quite good. I think it was obvious Cena would win seeing as it is Capitol Punishment, the WWE's idea at making a political statement therefore are they really going to make the troops look weak by having their representative Cena lose to a rambling madman? Hardly.
On that note it seems the show may have focused too much upon silly political gags and less on the actual show, I read about Sgt Slaughter being there with a fake Obama and it sounded effing stupid. The WWE needs to lay off the political crap as its annoying, boring and they make pretty stupid points too its not even like it has any intelligence behind it.
Orton beating Christian once again was obvious and Christian was probably fed to him so he could have somewhat of a lengthy reign before Sheamus takes the belt off him (so it's not another transitional title reign like Christian's was.)

Bourne getting a win at the PPV is something different and very nice because he is a hard worker but I hate seeing Swagger slip so low, the man is a great talent in the ring and with the right exposure he could be a lot bigger imo they should just let him run with the silly stuff as he is good at that and is credible enough in the ring for it to work. Kurt Angle was a complete goofy dork to begin with but he was such a force in the ring nobody doubted that he was anything but a champion. While Swagger may not be quite as good as Angle I feel the same thing could work for him.

Del Rio winning over Show was something to expect to, they want to keep Del Rio in a feud looking strong to keep him on a roll and in the minds of the fans while they wait to put him into the title feud.

Zeke winning over Barrett doesn't really matter as the IC title has not mattered for a long time. Zeke gets absolutely no reaction from the crowd but then again what did Barrett do with the belt? The dumbest thing is Rhodes gets a lot of heat, has been amazing in the ring putting on some of the best matches of recent times with Mysterio and instead gets jobbed to spotmonkey/botchmonkey Sin Cara while Zeke who the fans don't seem to know even exists gets a belt? Hell even Botch Cara would be a better IC holder.
Another thing is I would have liked to see a match between Rhodes and Bryan at this PPV, they are two of the best in ring workers and they are in a feud and instead we get this Barrett/Jackson shit that nobody cares about and has irrefutably been the worst part of Smackdown since the draft change.

Kingston/Ziggler sounded like a good evenly paced match and at least the US belt has been one worth earning. Ziggler will make a good champ and he is now the twenty second triple crown champion. Ziggler is doing a good job at working his way up and hopefully now he is US champion he will get some exposure and promo's and can work his way up like The Miz did once The Miz attained the US title.

Riley beating The Miz is amazing, I absolutely love Riley and it is great to see him get such a big win at a PPV. I see a future WWE champion in Riley and I am really happy to see one of my favourites get the credit he deserves. However Rhodes got a huge win in a feud at WM with Mysterio and that doesn't mean he has a singles title to his name so we will have to see with that one.

Good to see Punk getting a win at the PPV, he has been on a role lately and has gained a bit of momentum. He is not at the level he was at before but he is certainly not at such a ridiculously low point which is great. I would love for them to surprise us and see him win the WWE title randomly at some point, the guy deserves it.

Finally Cena and Truth. As I said earlier it is unlikely Cena would lose at a "political" PPV and it is good Truth got the opportunity to finally fight in the main event of the PPV, something he was robbed at. I hope his awesome promo's continue and that he remains around the title scene as if he keeps up his brilliant performances he could have a WWE title reign sometime in the near future. Cena keeping the belt a while longer makes sense too, perhaps he will hold it to WM or perhaps they are deciding which talent to give the ultimate push by taking the title off Cena and then threatening him with it as WM approaches and Cena needs to win it to face The Rock (before eventually winning it back.) so far it would seem that Del Rio, Truth and Punk are the best bets.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2011, 09:01:24 AM »
Reviewing results without seeing the show? i never heard of that.lol.

Kofi vs Ziggler was really good. the end was kind of confusing beings the announcers were confused and the ring announcer didn't say Dolph won immediately. still a good match and im glad Dolph is back as a champ even though i think he's better than the US champ spot and it could help someone else more.

Riley vs Miz was mehhh, I was thinking Riley was gonna show me something but miz pretty much dominated and then Riley got the win with the old implant DDT over Miz. I don't get his big push. and the match was boring.

Show vs ADR was also pretty mehh, i didn't Like Henry coming out there attacking show after just "Friday night" Henry was taken out on a stretcher. then the match its self with del rio wasn't good.

Wade Barret vs Zeke Jackson was pretty awful. The Best part of the match were the loud "We Want Ryder" chants. because no one cared about this match and no one cares about Jackson who is another guy who probably shouldn't be getting such a big push. and the match was boring just like pretty much all other Wade Barret matches. then Zeke won and no one seemed to care then they had an interview with him after the match which is not what you want from Zeke.lol.

Rey vs Punk was great IMO. i know these 2 have faced off many times before but you can't deny how good these 2 are in the ring and how well they work together. great match and great win for Punk who i read hasn't won at a PPV since April of last year...wowza. i might want to leave too.

Orton vs Christian was great too IMO. those 2 guys work really well together and i loved that neck breaker Orton pulled off so smoothly i never seen that or if i have i can't recall seeing it. the end was ok and christians leg being under the rope means we will get more on this feud. i still want to see christian win the title again and i'd still like to see him hire Brotus clay to help him do it.

Then we got the heel bellas twins coming out with...keith stone....to promote that beer...i don't get it and we get a match that wasn't announce in bourne vs Swagger but at this point we just had 2 great matches and the crowed was spent at this point so they weren't good in this. the match its self was pretty good though and though. it should have came on earlier in the show though or they shoud have had Rhodes/Dibiase/Bryan/Cara match of some sorts since SD had 2 matches on the show and Raw had 5.

Then we had the fake Obama come out there which was really stupid and all his backstage segments were really lame and not funny and it was just a waste of time and i hate When WWE does this type of thing. i don't know who baclkstage likes this or thinks the fans like this but they need a reality check.

Truth vs Cena was OK. Truth looked good in this but looked like he cost his self the match over everything. one thing that annoyed me was Truth did that suplex/stunner that he always does and cole said it was the first time he ever seen truth do it....really? he does it almost every match for like 2 years now...Lord!

Middle of the road PPV though had some good stuff and had some bad stuff.

Good:
Kofi vs Dolph
Rey vs Punk
Orton vs Christia

Bad:
Miz vs Riley
Barret vs Jackson
Fake Obama Shit.

OK:
Cena vs Truth
Swagger vs Bourne

Offline J.D

« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2011, 11:13:54 AM »
Haha yeah I was just reviewing the outcomes, soon I'll be able to comment on the matches but will just watch it from when I return and not bother backtracking.

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2011, 11:14:44 PM »
While sloppy Dolph vs Kofi was pretty good. Punk vs Rey was fantastic. I loved the sequence at the ending of the match. Other than that this PPV is forgettable. WWE dropping the ball again not letting Truth take home the WWE title.