Author Topic: Edge Retires; What Happens Now?  (Read 845 times)

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
Re: Edge Retires; What Happens Now?
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2011, 06:55:33 PM »
I heard the results came back the money after Mania.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2011, 09:44:19 PM »
The money meaning Monday? I find that hard to believe, unless he was still waiting for a second opinion. Still, why would they book a PPV main event if they had this info?

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #17 on: 13 April 2011, 09:53:45 PM »
- As noted before, Edge has legitimately retired from WWE due to issues with his neck that haven't been improving. Edge had been talking about retiring in two years but told someone as recent as a few weeks ago that he felt like he had five more years left.

It's said that Edge has some writing projects that he will be working on and that he knows what he wants to do with his life and those plans don't have much to do with wrestling. The feeling is that Edge will always stay affiliated with WWE but won't be someone you see working full time behind-the-scenes as an agent or something.

Regarding Edge and the World Heavyweight Title, there was some confusion at RAW last night as to why WWE didn't put Alberto Del Rio over at WrestleMania 27 if they knew there was even a small chance that Edge would be leaving soon.

While WWE's announcement notes that Edge got his MRI results the Monday after WrestleMania, sources indicate that he's been feeling more intense pain for a few weeks now but didn't think he would be forced to retire. Had they known Edge would have to retire, more emphasis would have been put on the WrestleMania match to make it feel more special.

I kinda wish they would have known before mania so they could have built the feud a lot better than it was built.

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2011, 04:28:34 AM »
Eh, it was fine, Edge got to finally retain the title at Wrestlemania and no matter what they did it would have been overlooked due to the Rock. I thought his speech on RAW was a great way to send him off, it was genuine and the crowd was fantastic. Plus he got to retire as the champion.

In all actuality i would love to see them test the waters with a new face winning the belt if they don't go for the most obvious choice in Christian. Fuck send Morrison over there and see if winning the belt gives him the push he needs to win the WWE upper heads over. Its on Smackdown noone gives a shit really.

Offline Dale

« Reply #19 on: 14 April 2011, 04:11:48 PM »
Fuck Morrison the piece of shit, GIVE IT TO CHRISTIAN

Offline Dale

« Reply #20 on: 17 April 2011, 07:34:32 PM »
So after watching his SmackDown promo and something he said really made me think. It was the part where he mentioned the doctors picking up his injury, because imagine if it wasn't picked up and he went into the Ladder match at Extreme Rules and took an inevitable big bump, it really could have been all over for him. Scary to think is that.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #21 on: 17 April 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
That's exactly why I think they didn't know about the injury when they booked the ladder match. If they thought there was a risk for Edge they wouldn't have made it a ladder match. Either way, I'm sure he'll come back for one last match at some point, especially if he starts to feel better, but one thing I really want is to see him on commentary at some point, maybe if King decides to retire this year. They had him on commentary for a match a few weeks back and I thought he did great.

Offline Awesome

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 17 April 2011, 11:46:33 PM »
Assuming this season of Tough Enough gets the ratings they want and they commission another, maybe he could be a trainer for the next season?
Quote from: CM Punk
Please, if you say ‘Because it’s your destiny’, I swear to jeebus I’m going to start drinking.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #23 on: 18 April 2011, 04:35:06 AM »
Or even the host, frankly, if Austin doesn't want to do it.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #24 on: 18 April 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
That's exactly why I think they didn't know about the injury when they booked the ladder match. If they thought there was a risk for Edge they wouldn't have made it a ladder match. Either way, I'm sure he'll come back for one last match at some point, especially if he starts to feel better, but one thing I really want is to see him on commentary at some point, maybe if King decides to retire this year. They had him on commentary for a match a few weeks back and I thought he did great.

Nooooo Edge is too high a quality star to ever be on commentary. His appearances would become standard and boring, he is someone who needs to retire with perhaps one big match left so his return is epic.
Save commentary for people like Booker T, JBL and Tazz who were good but not exactly legends.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #25 on: 18 April 2011, 02:29:07 PM »

Nooooo Edge is too high a quality star to ever be on commentary. His appearances would become standard and boring, he is someone who needs to retire with perhaps one big match left so his return is epic.
Save commentary for people like Booker T, JBL and Tazz who were good but not exactly legends.

I completely disagree. CM Punk was doing commentary just last year and while he obviously hasn't accomplished that much compared to Edge he's still a big star. Back in the day they used to have Jesse Ventura doing commentary and he was one of the biggest guys in the 70s. Edge is perfect for commentary and he already has a knack for it and would instantly be better than anyone they have. I see no problem in having him on commentary on RAW and PPVs, especially considering how much it would balance Cole out.

Offline Dale

« Reply #26 on: 18 April 2011, 03:19:38 PM »
Mick Foley too.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #27 on: 19 April 2011, 06:37:10 PM »
Foley went on commentary way later in his career when he wasn't as fresh in our minds. I just don't want to see Edge on commentary for at a few years anyway.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #28 on: 19 April 2011, 07:58:37 PM »
But that's the thing. I can't see any way that he stays off the air for a few years. He'll have some sort of role immediately IMO. Fuck, he's been retired a week and he still hasn't missed a show lol