Author Topic: Edge Retires; What Happens Now?  (Read 836 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Edge Retires; What Happens Now?
« on: 12 April 2011, 04:39:09 AM »
So, in a huge surprise, Edge walked in on RAW the World Champ headed into a headline match on SD vs. Alberto Del Rio, and walked out retired... I don't think anyone saw this coming or could have guessed that this would have happened, and it's pretty obvious this isn't a work from the looks of it. It really sucks, because love him or hate him, Edge is one of the best of all time and would be regarded even higher if it wasn't for a career full of injuries. I've grown to love him in the last few years especially, as he brings it every single match and is always entertaining on the mic.

Truth be told, there was little left for him to do in the ring that would have been special. He's faced pretty much everyone multiple times and frankly the fact that he was wrestling a rookie at Wrestlemania speaks for itself. It's ok though, and it might be better if he leaves now on more or less a high note instead of another year of facing younger guys (not that this would be a bad thing necessarily but you get what I'm saying). We live in an age where it seems like anyone who retires has to wrestle a dream match, but I don't think that's the case. Edge went out with class, and he went out in style, holding the World Championship, and I think he deserved that.

He will be missed.

That being said, SD is now short another main eventer and a champion. They could go the easy route and do ADR vs. Christian at Extreme Rules, but the one thing WWE has never been known for is taking the easy route. When things like this happen, they have a tendency of pushing someone unexpected to the top. So I guess we'll see, but I'd still put my money on ADR vs. Christian. But there is still a severe lack of top level talent on SD. Rey won't be around forever, Edge is gone, God only knows Undertaker's status. SD needs another face, and there are plenty of those on RAW that are kind of being left out of the main event. Whether WWE will move someone immediately (Punk and Sheamus were missing from RAW despite the easy entrance into that gauntlet match in varying roles), or wait mid-may for a draft, we'll see, but it's anyone's guess what they do.

What would you like to see done to the SD title scene now, and of course, what are your thoughts on edge's retirement?

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
Re: Edge Retires; What Happens Now?
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2011, 11:41:59 AM »
Edge is one of my favourite wrestlers of all time (just behind the likes of Stone Cold and Chris Jericho) and so naturally I'm upset he is leaving but what more can he really do? He has had the best career imaginable, he has done everything, won everything there is to win and multiple times from the WWE title to the World Heavyweight title to the Royal Rumble to the Money in the Bank to the King of the Ring to the Tag Team titles putting on amazing TLC matches to the IC and US titles. He is an example of someone who built their way to the top in the purest form. To be honest he probably has the greatest belt history of all time and his last match was successfully defending the World Heavyweight title at Wrestlemania.

Goodbye to a legend, hopefully he will make an appearance sometime in the future but now the field is open wide.

IMO a fatal four way for the vacant title would be the best way to go.
Alberto Del Rio vs Christian vs Cody Rhodes vs Rey Mysterio.

Everyone gets a chance and its unpredictable. In my opinion Rhodes and Christian deserve the title more than Del Rio.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2011, 06:11:16 PM »
It'll probably be a ladder match too. And I agree that's the best suggestion, because it nearly guarantees a brand new champion no matter who wins. Although I have a feeling if WWE scrambles/panics we'll see the Big Shows and Kanes step up at least temporarily...

Offline J.D

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2011, 07:26:16 PM »
Yeah same and that would suck, the only big guy who should get near that title is Drew McIntyre but I like Del Rio, Christian, Rhodes and Mysterio because the former two and later two are feuding and there's a fair combination of faces to heels.

I wouldn't be too shocked to see Cena enter the world heavyweight race sometime after extreme rules either.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2011, 10:43:49 PM »
Well What im guessing happens with the championship now is we get christian vs ADR with ADR going over especially with Brotus and RR in his corner and christian likely being a loner.

After that we will probably get the old guys on SD back in the Main event like Rey,Kane and Big Show. then maybe we will get a draft to shake things up and i could see Orton going over and taking over SD.

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2011, 11:40:23 PM »
GIVE PUNK THE FUCKING TITLE, I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH THAT HE NEEDS TO GET OFF RAW.

Offline Dale

« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2011, 12:21:32 AM »
    * World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
          o World Heavyweight Championship (7 times)
          o World Tag Team Championship (12 times) – with Christian (7), Chris Benoit (2), Hulk Hogan (1), Randy Orton (1) and Chris Jericho (1)
          o WWE Championship (4 times)
          o WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (5 times)
          o WCW United States Championship (1 time)
          o WWE Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Rey Mysterio (1) and Chris Jericho (1)
          o Fourteenth Triple Crown Champion
          o King of the Ring (2001)
          o Mr. Money in the Bank (2005, 20072)
          o Royal Rumble (2010)
          o Slammy Award for Couple of the Year (2008) – with Vickie Guerrero
          o Slammy Award for "Oh Snap" Meltdown of the Year (2010) Destroying the Anonymous GM's computer
Just Wiki'd his accomplishments out of interest. Throw in the countless Mania appearances aswell and you've got quite the career.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2011, 03:18:26 AM »
That's what's insane Dale, he did all of that despite missing over a year and two manias to a neck injury, and then another 6 or 7 months in 2009 (among others). If he already has the record for most total titles in the WWE and 11 world titles, imagine what he could have done if he stayed healthy? The guy is absolutely one of the best of all time. If he truly stays away and is retired for good, IMO he should go into the Hall of Fame next year.

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2011, 04:08:19 AM »
I really feel bad for Edge, he seemed like he wasn't ready for retirement. He was visibly upset last night and i got a little bit teary eyed during his speech.
Im proud of him though, i would rather him be able to walk than seeing his untimely death like other superstars.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2011, 04:11:30 AM »
Yeah i always thought if anyone passed ric flairs 16 world titles reigns who wasn't sleeping with the bosses daughter it would be edge. its a shame he didn't get the chance to. but thats one hell of a career.

Offline J.D

« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2011, 08:13:02 AM »
    * World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
          o World Heavyweight Championship (7 times)
          o World Tag Team Championship (12 times) – with Christian (7), Chris Benoit (2), Hulk Hogan (1), Randy Orton (1) and Chris Jericho (1)
          o WWE Championship (4 times)
          o WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (5 times)
          o WCW United States Championship (1 time)
          o WWE Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Rey Mysterio (1) and Chris Jericho (1)
          o Fourteenth Triple Crown Champion
          o King of the Ring (2001)
          o Mr. Money in the Bank (2005, 20072)
          o Royal Rumble (2010)
          o Slammy Award for Couple of the Year (2008) – with Vickie Guerrero
          o Slammy Award for "Oh Snap" Meltdown of the Year (2010) Destroying the Anonymous GM's computer
Just Wiki'd his accomplishments out of interest. Throw in the countless Mania appearances aswell and you've got quite the career.

The mitb typo made me lol.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2011, 11:52:24 AM »
I feel like his premature retirement, which he was probably aware of before Mania kind of makes me annoyed that they didn't make the mania match a triple threat with Christian. Still he is a legend and I respect his work, he will be missed, he definitely didn't look happy with the decision but it was the right one. Now Smackdown has lost another main eventer I hope it opens a slot for more people to be main eventing on the show even if the draft is right around the corner and hopefully Christian wins the belt!

Offline J.D

« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2011, 02:07:39 PM »
People tease Christian vs Edge but to be fair their tag team got them both to the midcard but Edge got to the main event without Christian, Christian can therefore do the same. Christian needs to make his own way, feuding with Edge would be (almost) riding off his success, if he wants to prove himself to be a main eventer Christian needs to adopt more of a personality of his own, I mean he's no Edge.
Don't get me wrong I would have loved to see a feud between the two but I don't think it would live up to everyones hype.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2011, 05:03:48 PM »
To be fair, I'm not so sure whether they actually knew that it would be so bad he'd retire. I mean, just last week they set up an ADR/Edge rematch for Extreme Rules, 6 days later he retires and no one saw it coming. Obviously he knew something was up but to the point where they knew about this, I don't think so.

Offline J.D

« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2011, 05:29:25 PM »
Agreed they wouldn't have bothered setting up ADR vs Edge... I think this news came sometime over the weekend.