Linked Events

• WWE WrestleMania XXVIII: 1 April 2012

Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* WrestleMania XXVIII Discussion Thread  (Read 4782 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
*OFFICIAL* WrestleMania XXVIII Discussion Thread
« on: 5 April 2011, 04:29:41 PM »

WRESTLEMANIA XXVIII
April 1st, 2012

ONE YEAR IN THE MAKING
John Cena vs. The Rock

WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
CM Punk (c) vs. Chris Jericho

WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
2012 Royal Rumble Winner Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan (c)

HELL IN A CELL
The Undertaker vs. Triple H

Special Guest Referee: Shawn Michaels

INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP
Cody Rhodes (c) vs. The Big Show

12-MAN TAG MATCH: TEAM EXCITEMENT (Big John Laurinaitis) vs. Team HOLLA (Teddy Long)
David Otunga, Christian, Mark Henry +3 TBA vs. Santino Marella, R-Truth (w/Little Jimmy), Kofi Kingston +3 TBA
*Winner gets control of both RAW and Smackdown!

GRUDGE MATCH, FOR SOME REASON
Kane vs. Randy Orton

U*Loser must embrace the hate.

DIVAS TAG TEAM MATCH
Maria Menounos and Kelly Kelly vs. Eve Torres and Beth Phoenix

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline AngryCaz

• FTTF
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): The Miz, Rey Mysterio, Colt Cabana.
Re: WrestleMania XXVIII: The Rock vs. John Cena
« Reply #1 on: 5 April 2011, 04:37:18 PM »
I like the idea of it, it'll obviously be an absolutely huge match if it happens but I'm not sold yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up pulling the trigger sooner. That being said, if this means the chance of having The Rock around more over the next year or so (Nobody expects him to come back full time, but an appearance every month or so or whatever) then I am all for it. This could easily be the biggest match in the history of Wrestlemania, so I hope they know what the hell they're doing.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #2 on: 5 April 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
I definitely think this is a match that should only happen at mania, it's just tough to schedule a match so far in advance. There's a reason they don't do that like ever. For this to work though, I think the Rock needs to have a couple of matches leading in. Have him face the Miz at SummerSlam with John Cena watching, maybe a tag team match of some sort in the fall. Would be nice to see what he still has left in the tank before investing millions in him for Mania. Wonder what his movie schedule is like over the next year too...

(also, is it just me who's surprised that they pretty much didn't outright plug his movie at all while he was around?)

Offline Dale

« Reply #3 on: 6 April 2011, 07:37:04 PM »
- Sources report that there was a massive last-minute re-write of RAW on Monday afternoon. Early in the afternoon, they were going with Triple H vs. The Undertaker at SummerSlam and Taker vs. John Cena at WrestleMania 28. A few hours later they made The Rock vs. Cena announcement, which is a significant change within just a few hours.

There's a feeling that the long-term plan has always been to build WrestleMania 28 around The Rock, even if he wouldn't agree to wrestle. This could have played a factor in WWE's decision to choose Miami as the host city. It's possible that Rock will also go into the Hall of Fame next year.
I have no doubts in my mind that Rock would put Cena over, however i'm undecided which way it could go. If i was to edge my bets right now, i'd say Rock goes over infront of his home crowd and they both draw a line under what has gone on between them, with them both embracing infront of the crowd.

Offline AngryCaz

• FTTF
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): The Miz, Rey Mysterio, Colt Cabana.
« Reply #4 on: 6 April 2011, 07:38:23 PM »
Cena has to go over in my opinion. Unless Rock wants to come back full time, Cena needs to go over.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #5 on: 6 April 2011, 08:15:54 PM »
I'm on the fence as well. Cena wouldn't exactly NEED to go over so long as they have a great match, but the Rock's in front of his home town and they're building the thing around him... I think it wouldn't really matter who wins tbh.

Although I have to say, I think I would have preferred the original plan lol.

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #6 on: 6 April 2011, 08:21:21 PM »
If there's no plans for the Rock after this match, then yes Cena needs to win...but when we look back at Wrestlemania 18 Rock vs. Hogan, the legend didn't do the job for the star that was in his prime.   We all know about Hogan's massive ego and the Rock would probably be willing to pay it forward and help Cena out, but I wouldn't put it past the Rock pointing back to that moment.

As for that Championship stipulation, I really think it would have been an intriguing idea.  You could ultimately give Cena the championship once his feud with the Miz is completed after Extreme Rules or the June PPV.  Now that Cena would have the belt over the summer, the storyline changes to having to keep it until next April.  Give some imposing guys like Kane, Mark Henry, Sheamus, Khali or whoever else Cena hasn't feuded the opportunity to steal Cena's desire to face the Rock away from him.  Ultimately, I would have Cena fall short in a TLC match in December...possibly have him win the Royal Rumble but trade that opportunity to get into the Elimination Chamber because he needs to win the belt before Wrestlemania...then Super Cena would win another Elimination Chamber.   There's a million ways you could go about it, but it would be one year long storyline that has an endgame already written for it.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #7 on: 7 April 2011, 08:49:08 PM »
I could see the match going either way, I don't think it particularly matters as both men are stupidly over anyway. If either loses he is still going to be regarded as one of the best the business ever had. Someone has to win though, don't want a cop out "draw" or anything.

I like the title chase idea too, that would be especially cool because if The Rock won he would get the title one last time, I'd love to see him win the title one more time before fully retiring.

Offline Adampro123

• Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #8 on: 8 April 2011, 08:57:06 PM »
This is a very interesting thing for the WWE to do. it does a few things like effect the royal rumble, now we know cena will not be winning it and if he's champion at the time of mania the guy who wins the rumble can't face him. also it gives a whole year to build the match i wonder if rock will be popping in every now and then to send a reminder or if he will just stay away until around the royal rumble next year?

in the end i expect the match to go something like Rock/Hogan did especially since it will be the 10 year anniversary. I see Cena Winning and Rock Shaking his hand.

the difference here is it will not be a split crowed. the crowds gonna be like 95% in rocks favor at the very least.

But anyways i like this and it reminds me of what they teaesed with Mr Anderson a few years back with him building up until he cashed in at mania....then of course the injury came and edge just got the title again.

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2011, 04:18:28 AM »
Not sure if its a good thing or not that I nailed the WWE Championship stipulation to this match a week ago, but it seemed likely imo because they had to give Cena something do during the next 12 months and make it feel important.  The WWE creative is kinda predictable these days...

Now that there's a triple threat at Extreme Rules I dont think Cena will win the title just yet (Miz will pin R-Truth).  Whether this leads to a Cena/R-Truth feud or a Miz/Cena 1 on 1 rematch at Over the Limit I'm not sure yet.  I still think Cena will win the title sometime this summer and lose it a month or two before Wrestlemania and have to scramble to get it back.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2011, 04:30:31 AM »
I don't think it was a bad thing at all. We were all in agreement that it was a great idea and from the sound of it it isn't an official stipulation but more of a pledge from Cena. There are still plenty of different ways to go, with Cena chasing for most of the year or winning early and trying to hold it, the possibility of a heel turn or switching brands, even a couple of big time feuds if a guy like Undertaker or Triple H would be available. Plus I think we all know that nothing lasts 12 months in WWE, so other than the match itself which seems pretty set in stone barring something bad, so anything can happen really.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2011, 11:50:25 AM »
I hope that this will lead to Cena turning heel, there are plenty of great opportunities with a heel turn, he could hire someone to help him out to be so desperate to get things to go his way for this dream match, only to completely lose his own identity and get heat from it.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2011, 05:21:02 AM »
So we're 8 months away from this match and they're still pushing it hard. Twitter battles, Cena mentioning it on air, they're making sure we remember about it.

The latest twist in this. This afternoon when Cena was still "fired" he posted the following:

I have just been 'future endeavored'. Well..if that's how it is I would like to take a moment to publicly apologize to Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson. In an effort to make WM28 as big as possible I tried to expose rock for his flaws. Very childish and immature on my behalf. My comments about the rocks absence were both unprofessional and childish. I am sorry. Rock, I truly wish and still hope in my heart of Hearts that the crazy old man who is the boss reconsiders his totally rash decision. Because chicago was insane last night...

The Rock, being his classy self, posts the following in response:

Cena - get back on your tour bus, call up your favorite yum rocket, take your apology and stick it straight up your phony ass. @WWE please don't fire John Cena. You owe it to the WORLD and GOD to have my boot go right up his phony ass at Wrestlemania 28.

I get the whole anti-hero thing and booing for the guy they try to push down your throat, but how do people cheer for the guy that takes a kayfabe apology and turns it into that, for pretty much no reason? Cena shouldn't have said anything about it really, but that answer from the rock really annoys me lol.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
I don't get why people would cheer The Rock anyway because of the shit he said about CM Punk "The Rock makes more money in a night than you will in a lifetime"
He is a jealous prick and seems to forgot that a lot of people preferred Austin over his gay ass self.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2011, 03:21:35 PM »
Austin is so greatful for WWE. He could be in every action movie and be as big a star as the Rock is (which isn't that big anyway) but instead he still goes back to WWE, hosts tough enough, comes to raw every so often... would much rather Austin be wrestling at mania over the Rock.