Author Topic: Knucklehead makes $75  (Read 162 times)

Offline AngryCaz

• FTTF
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): The Miz, Rey Mysterio, Colt Cabana.
Knucklehead makes $75
« on: 29 October 2010, 10:11:30 PM »
Wrestling Observer - WWE Studios' Knucklehead drew virtually no business during its 'limited engagement' this past weekend.

A chart listing the top grossing films, with the bottom movie making $75, did not rank the WWE produced film. Even further, numerous websites that feature histories of all theatrically released movies and how much business they did

Offline Rhymin' Greiman

• Super Duper Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Kane, Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Randy Orton, Bryan Danielson, The Miz, and RVD
Knucklehead makes $75
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2010, 10:44:36 PM »
What is that?  Two films in a row that hit the bottom now?  I mean Cena's was so bad it was barely in theatres for the weekend before WWE decided to slap it on a DVD immediately.  It might have had that Hallmark Movie of the Week feeling to it but it was far from watchable for the common movie goer.

Offline AngryCaz

• FTTF
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): The Miz, Rey Mysterio, Colt Cabana.
Knucklehead makes $75
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2010, 10:54:04 PM »
It's a shame that WWE Films has become such a joke, because they started off so well with The Mania of Wrestlemania. If they'd focus more on wrestling and less on b-level films, they might get somewhere.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Knucklehead makes $75
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2010, 11:39:41 PM »
I haven't seen either this or Legendary, but you have to think that there's an industry strategy to very limited releases for these films before they quickly pop them onto DVD/Bluray.

Knucklehead was only released in 6 theaters, and only in 2 big markets (LA and NY, the other 4 were random towns from what I gather), and it had absolutely no press or trailers outside of what we saw in WWE. I don't get why they would even bother releasing it in theaters but I'm sure it'll make its budget when they release it on DVD. I don't know how much legendary has made in DVD sales but its box office was ok based on the limited press and theater count.

I kinda feel like WWE is just rolling out some quick films now to get experience for both the production crews as well as some of the actors they want to push. If you read most of the reviews it's generally the same thing - the movie is crap but the Cena/Show/Whoever performance is decent. If this could land these guys bigger roles then that will pay for itself for WWE.

But like I said, I don't really understand it, just trying to make sense of it...

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Rhymin' Greiman

• Super Duper Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Kane, Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Randy Orton, Bryan Danielson, The Miz, and RVD
Knucklehead makes $75
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
Quote from: P-Truth;45050
I kinda feel like WWE is just rolling out some quick films now to get experience for both the production crews as well as some of the actors they want to push. If you read most of the reviews it's generally the same thing - the movie is crap but the Cena/Show/Whoever performance is decent. If this could land these guys bigger roles then that will pay for itself for WWE.

But like I said, I don't really understand it, just trying to make sense of it...
That does make sense though.  It leaves me wondering if they come up with the idea of the movie THEN talk to the star they have targeted for it.  Most of these roles seem to fit the person they choose like it was planned all along.  Not sure if that's the best way to go about it to be honest.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Knucklehead makes $75
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2010, 01:34:37 AM »
From everything that I've seen, it seems like WWE Studios is a way to market certain stars, not necessarily make money off the movies. If they build Cena and Show and Triple H and who ever else into brands, like Hogan did with his movies in the 80s, it can only benefit said wrestlers name values. Cena's the closest thing to a household name that they have right now, other than what's left of the days of the Undertaker and Triple H and a couple of others. The more you see Cena's name out there on movie roles, commercials, anything else, I really don't think it can be a be a bad thing. Hogan made some terrible movies bad in the day and as I said it only benefited his career.

It's an interesting strategy that's for sure...

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
Knucklehead makes $75
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2010, 02:33:25 AM »
Sad cause the movie trailer didn't look to bad. Why not just make it a straight to DVD release?