Author Topic: World Cup 2010.  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Dale

World Cup 2010.
« Reply #15 on: 13 June 2010, 12:43:07 AM »
Strikers are a completely different kettle of fish and it's not scapegoating because he "let one through" it's the manner of it and the fact that no professional goalkeeper should ever be letting those sorts of goals in. He knows he made a massive error as he's already said so and the fact that the manager refused to comment on whether he would remain in goal next game kind of speaks volumes for the level of the blunder although I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him remain in goal.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
World Cup 2010.
« Reply #16 on: 13 June 2010, 01:12:50 AM »
We let a goal in, that is to be expected in a world cup, but do you actually think we looked keen to win? Not really, we had no real flair and no drive to win the game, settled for the draw. Yeah he screwed up, how long was that about 5 seconds of a 90 minute game, and tbh after that moment he would have been fairly shaken and lost a massive amount of morale, he knows pretty much everyone in England was watching the game and how English people react to it. Did we react, never in my eyes and that is more important because against a bigger team we have to react and go for the win, this game wasn't massively important, but its a darn good time to let something like this happen now to learn from that mistake.

Offline Dale

World Cup 2010.
« Reply #17 on: 13 June 2010, 01:21:20 AM »
Quote from: chappers;42294
We let a goal in, that is to be expected in a world cup, but do you actually think we looked keen to win? Not really, we had no real flair and no drive to win the game, settled for the draw. Yeah he screwed up, how long was that about 5 seconds of a 90 minute game, and tbh after that moment he would have been fairly shaken and lost a massive amount of morale, he knows pretty much everyone in England was watching the game and how English people react to it. Did we react, never in my eyes and that is more important because against a bigger team we have to react and go for the win, this game wasn't massively important, but its a darn good time to let something like this happen now to learn from that mistake.
Up until he made that error we didn't need to "be keen to win" as we was more than comfortable even though it was only a 1 goal advantage, the Americans were no sort of threat whatsoever. As far as settling for a draw goes i'm not having that as we had a good amount of chances but we just run into Tim Howard who was having a very good game. Yes I guess it is good to get the mistakes out early but those mistakes shouldn't be happening at all. We played ok, caused them alot of problems without getting out of second gear and had he made that routine save we would have been walking away with a solid opening game victory in new conditions.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
World Cup 2010.
« Reply #18 on: 13 June 2010, 01:44:09 AM »
I understand your point, but in general I thought the England team were bland at best, no real creativity or anything, we just laid back in the middle of pitch pushing into their half here and there, rather then making more opportunities. I don't think its just Robert Greens fault we lost, there were still about 50 minutes to play after that blunder and we didn't play to our best ability.

Offline narcolepsy

World Cup 2010.
« Reply #19 on: 13 June 2010, 04:07:52 AM »
I haven't seen the match yet since I was out for my birthday, hopefully I can stay awake for the 3-5 AM replay, but I'm praying that U.S. can somehow outscore England from here on out if they both end up with 7 points so they finish 1st in the Group.  Whoever finishes 2nd is going to have an enormously brutal road to the final.

Also, Tim Howard grew up the next town over from where I live and I could go up to pretty much anyone here and no one would have any idea who he is or that he's even from this area.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
World Cup 2010.
« Reply #20 on: 13 June 2010, 05:40:41 AM »
Narc, cheap way to get birthday wishes so I'm not giving them to you :ace

Dale, I still think you're overreacting. Chappers is right, England didn't play this one to win, they played this one to tie and came out lifeless and flat, especially in the second half. Whether the goal was inexcusable or not, what were they expecting? A 1-0 win? To play defensively the entire match and not try to score another goal?

Like I said, shit happens, goals get scored, and frankly we can look at the time 1000000 times but that doesn't mean anyone else could have stopped that ball. it was straight, hard, and could have bounced awkwardly or shifted directions slightly on it's way in, who knows.

Fact of the matter is that too much attention is being placed on that one 10 second incident, and not enough is being placed on the rest of the game when for the most part England WASN'T leading and WASN'T scoring goals.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline narcolepsy

World Cup 2010.
« Reply #21 on: 13 June 2010, 06:52:56 AM »
Ok, now that I've seen the first half, Green just didn't attempt to get in front of Dempsey's shot.  It seems like he was kneeling from the left and his hands couldn't stop the momentum, letting the ball right on through.  I know in terms of baseball that this is a major no-no if a defender doesn't square up in front of a ground ball, but for a goalkeeper to not square up this shot at this level is a huge mistake.  Now, this isn't to say the U.S. wouldn't have taken more offensive risks later in the match had they not scored at that point, but it let them settle down and stay back defensively.  Just have to say that the confusion and anger on David Beckham's face right after this goal was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Also, Gerrard's goal was all Ricardo Clark's fault letting Gerrard get behind him while not getting a piece of himself on the pass.  Can't let these mental mistakes happen.  Howard immediately called him out and was extremely pissed off.

I'd say both teams were lucky to come out of this with a point and who knows what may have happened if this wasn't the first match of the tournament where some nerves took over.

Offline Big Daddy V

• Favourite Wrestler(s): HBK, Daniel Bryan, Big Daddy V, John Morrison, Goldust, Booker T, CM Punk.
World Cup 2010.
« Reply #22 on: 13 June 2010, 09:03:12 PM »
That front page just makes me laugh so much hahaha.
Shows how much the US know about football. Also it was USA vs ENGLAND not Britain.
But yeah I agree England showed little creativity and didn't really deserve the win. But we were the better team, best players were probably Heskey, Johnson and Gerrard. I think USA and England will qualify for the group stages but the US really need to step it up for the knock out stages.

@lewlew94

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
World Cup 2010.
« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2010, 01:58:52 AM »
Johnson was England's best player along with Gerrard and Cole. Heskey was offside constantly, Green let in  the stupidest goal ever (he did have a pretty sweet save after this mind) Rooney took one semi- decent shot and that was about it and Lampard was useless but praised by the commentators as per usual.
Shame Ledley King felt a groinal injury as I would have liked to see more of him.
England were by far the better team but a draw is what you get when you don't work hard enough.

Germany today looked invincible against Australia, no team has made quite that impact yet, expect them to be possibly winners (Spain vs Germany is a pretty probably final in my opinion.)
South Korea looked pretty decent as well getting a 2-0 victory over Greece who didn't seem to put any effort in whatsoever.
It was a shame Nigeria lost, it would be nice to see them with a draw and that is what they deserved.

Offline narcolepsy

World Cup 2010.
« Reply #24 on: 14 June 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Blow me - we love the Vuvuzela

The site is safe despite its XXX looking name.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
World Cup 2010.
« Reply #25 on: 15 June 2010, 03:05:50 AM »

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Dale

World Cup 2010.
« Reply #26 on: 15 June 2010, 11:03:46 PM »

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
World Cup 2010.
« Reply #27 on: 16 June 2010, 05:33:11 PM »
HAND OF CLOD INDEED.

Oh and im ordering a Vuvuzela.

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
World Cup 2010.
« Reply #28 on: 18 June 2010, 09:24:21 PM »
England beats Slovenia, USA beats Algeria:
England 5 pts +1 (or more)
US 5 pts +1 (or more)
Slovenia 4 pts
Algeria 1 pts

England draws Slovenia, USA beats Algeria:
Slovenia 5 pts +1
US 5 pts +1 (or more)
England 3 pts 0
Algeria 1 pts

England loses to Slovenia, USA beats Algeria:
Slovenia 7 pts
US 5 pts
England 2 pts
Algeria 1 pts

England beats Slovenia, USA draws Algeria:
England 5 pts
Slovenia 4 pts
US 3 pts
Algeria 1 pts

England draws Slovenia, USA draws Algeria:
Slovenia 5 pts
US 3 pts 0
England 3 pts 0
Algeria 1 pts

England loses to Slovenia, USA draws Algeria:
Slovenia 7 pts
US 3 pts
England 2 pts
Algeria 2 pts

England beats Slovenia, USA loses to Algeria:
England 5 pts
Algeria 4 pts +1 (or more)
Slovenia 4 pts 0 (or less)
US 2 pts -1 (or less)

England draws Slovenia, USA loses to Algeria:
Slovenia 5 pts
Algeria 4 pts
England 3 pts 0
US 2 pts -1 (or less)

England loses to Slovenia, USA loses to Algeria:
Slovenia 7 pts
Algeria 4 pts
England 2 pts -1 (or less)
US 2 pts -1 (or less)

Offline chappers

World Cup 2010.
« Reply #29 on: 19 June 2010, 04:28:31 AM »
I saw bits and pieces of the England game, from what I saw they once again looked bland and uninspired. So many damn problems with that team. I was speaking to some randomer on live earlier and just said they might as well quit the England national team and start it up again in 10 years time. Literally everything about them is tainted, rubbish tactics, morale, and no real drive or passion to play for the team, too media orientated/prima donnas. I literally couldn't have cared if England won before going into this tournament as I expected them to cock it up, once again that has happened. I want them to prove me wrong, but they won't. I think a manager needs to just come in, work from the ground up, discipline the team especially when it comes to tournaments like this and build a frigging team (so many times this has been ignored because managers are too scared to drop the big names). Its pathetic and its all down to being scared of the media and the countries reaction to a possible dismal performance and not actually caring if they do go out due to coming home to riches.