Author Topic: Sheamus to lead younger generation?  (Read 180 times)

Offline narcolepsy

Sheamus to lead younger generation?
« on: 10 March 2010, 03:28:49 AM »
Quote from: Wrestlezone.com
I spoke to a source within WWE this morning who relayed  to me a very interesting story concerning a recent backstage encounter  between Shawn Michaels and former WWE Champion Sheamus. According to the  source, Michaels approached Sheamus and said, "in case you haven't  heard, I'm not going to be around much after WrestleMania, and it's time  for the guys like you to step up and main event with all the current  top guys, and then bring up the next tier and make them top guys. Your  time is NOW!"

Words to that effect.

We have been reporting for several weeks now that Shawn Michaels  plans to take time off after WrestleMania, but this time around it might  be different since there is no time table for his return. This doesn't  mean that he will lose to The Undertaker at the PPV, but that his time  off could be significantly longer this time around that it was last year  after WrestleMania 25. I was even told that HBK could be held off until  next year's 'Mania when he can do the big sendoff much like WWE did for  Ric Flair.

I was also told that Sheamus is being told by guys like HBK to step  up in every conceivable way, and that he needs to to be a leader to the  young guys, but at the same time he needs to be very careful not to step  on Randy Orton's toes. That's as big of a part of this story as  anything, because a lot of the locker room really likes Randy because he  has stood up when the time's right, and also because they all feel he's  truly the best in the ring right now, even though his temper tantrums  in and out of the ring have some people pointing fingers.

Am I the only one that doesn't understand how Sheamus is now considered the leader of the new guard of WWE superstars? Sure, we've heard over and over that he's tight with HHH, but he's only been with the company for less than a full year.  When was the last time the WWE put so much faith in to one guy so quickly?  Brock Lesnar?  At least in that situation it was probably warranted.

I know Sheamus has already won the WWE Championship and the crowd is slowly starting to buy into his heel gimmick, but I simply can not see him ever main eventing a major PPV as the #1 heel unless it's something like an Elimination Chamber PPV.  He's obviously a much more skilled worker, but I see his gimmick having the same shelf life as Khali's did during his WHC run.  Once he jobs out to all the top faces, what is there to do with him?  You know if he was to ever turn face they'd make him Hornswoggle's big pal rather than a Championship contender.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2010, 03:36:08 AM »
First of all, why would Brock being the "leader" a year into his career be any more warranted than Sheamus being the "leader"?

Secondly, where did you hear that he's going to job to all the top faces?

Thirdly, it's totally unfair to make any assumptions of what people think of him backstage or what he's like in the locker room.

I find it hilarious that people bitch that WWE never pushes anyone, and the moment they finally decide to give someone a monster push, it's not the right guy, or they don't deserve it, or something else along those lines.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2010, 03:49:06 AM »
Why isn't Cena going to lead the younger generation? He has at least 10 more years left in him to compete in the ring.... Or do some people within the company think he will jump over and just be an actor like The Rock? I mean, Sheamus leading a younger generation just irks me. I think there are quite a few other guys out there who could step up other than Sheamus.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2010, 04:00:59 AM »
Quote from: Hollywood Prax
First of all, why would Brock being the "leader" a year into his career be any more warranted than Sheamus being the "leader"?
Maybe "leader" was the wrong choice of words when referring to Lesnar, but from the night he debuted he was treated as "The Next Big Thing" (pun intended)...How often do you see someone debut and main event WrestleMania (although 364 days apart) in the same year and not have a major backlash from the fans?  In terms of what we see on tv, there has been a wide spectrum of reactions to Sheamus ranging from boredom to an intriguing new wrestler with lots of potential.  It's just my opinion that if they are looking to a guy who has not worked within the WWE political system for a considerable amount of time then there's going to be a lot of critics behind the scenes resenting him.

In just the last decade alone I can point you to Umaga, Vladimir Kozlov, Carlito, Khali, Chris Masters, Mike Knox, Big Daddy V, and I'm sure I'm missing a lot more...A major heel with a somewhat flawed gimmick that may not connect with the North American core eventually fizzles out.  These guys all came on majorly strong only to find themselves putting over the established workers and some never finding their way out of that hole.  Any of these guys could have been handed the WWE Championship after the way they were booked after their debut and probably would still have the same result they are currently in.

Thirdly, it's totally unfair to make any assumptions of what people think of him backstage or what he's like in the locker room.
I think whoever leaked this tip, whether its legit or not, questions Sheamus' leadership skills as well.  He may be the first to show up in the morning and the last to leave at night, but what business doesn't have a period where you have to pay your dues?  As stupid as it sounds, people resent those that have everything handed to them quickly even if they deserve it.  This is the same reason that everyone questioned Cena's ability at first but hes shown relentless commitment to the company and even though he's booed half the time, he still piles in the merchandise $$$.

I find it hilarious that people bitch that WWE never pushes anyone, and the moment they finally decide to give someone a monster push, it's not the right guy, or they don't deserve it, or something else along those lines.
I think I've answered this in another thread, and I think this has less to do with Sheamus than it does with WWE management.  I think a bunch of people felt there have been a lot of missed opportunities in the past with wrestlers that have flamed out or never reached their true potential due to questionable booking.  Wrestling fans were blindsided by this random elevation of a hulking, pale Irish guy and think there has to be an ulterior motive to his ascension.  His connection to HHH and HBK behind the scenes just raises those conspiracy theorist feelings within the IWC that think these two are just power hungry egomaniacs.  In my case, I could care less who his acquaintances are, I just don't see that spark where his gimmick equals $$$ and entertainment over the long term.

Offline Dale

« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2010, 04:15:07 AM »
Quote from: Cannon;39077
Why isn't Cena going to lead the younger generation? He has at least 10 more years left in him to compete in the ring.... Or do some people within the company think he will jump over and just be an actor like The Rock? I mean, Sheamus leading a younger generation just irks me. I think there are quite a few other guys out there who could step up other than Sheamus.

They way I interpreted it was they wanted Sheamus to try and lead the next batch of guys trying to make through glass ceiling because he himself has just done that, wheras Cena has been a continous mainstay in the ME for what feels like 10 years.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2010, 07:26:47 AM »
All i gathered from this is that Sheamus is going to spearhead new guys being pushed... Surely that is a good thing?

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2010, 10:46:49 AM »
I find it Hilarious that the WWE can't get it right in pushing the young talent. no one mindlessless bitches about younger guys getting pushed. people bitch about certain guys not getting pushed, and especially while they are majorly over WWE doesn't pull the trigger when they should. Kofi was a refreshing change because WWE did pull the trigger at the right time but all that ended up doing is having kofi lose to orton a bunch of times and now looks to not even make the card at mania in any way.

As for something else that was said. brock was WAY more over than sheamus and came out and made a huge impact. sheamus floated around ECW beat a no name guy in mainstream wrestling and got the WWE title by cena jumping off the top rope and then won via DQ his next PPV match and lost his one after that.

I will say what i have always said. Sheamus has still yet to give a good promo. he has still yet to have a good match and he still isn't getting much reaction on his own. so until he does some of these things then i will continue to dislike him.

as for who should lead the next generation? well it would dependwhat you meant by that because i can't help but think CM Punk would be the right guy. but maybe he isn't new enough? i dunno.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2010, 02:53:27 PM »
Quote from: narcolepsy;39078

Maybe "leader" was the wrong choice of words when referring to Lesnar, but from the night he debuted he was treated as "The Next Big Thing" (pun intended)...How often do you see someone debut and main event WrestleMania (although 364 days apart) in the same year and not have a major backlash from the fans?  In terms of what we see on tv, there has been a wide spectrum of reactions to Sheamus ranging from boredom to an intriguing new wrestler with lots of potential.  It's just my opinion that if they are looking to a guy who has not worked within the WWE political system for a considerable amount of time then there's going to be a lot of critics behind the scenes resenting him.

And what fans are ''backlashing'' against Sheamus's push? A few IWC fans? Like it's been said, Sheamus is starting to garner better reactions and people are starting to buy into his character now. Just because he didn't simply come and be over right away doesn't mean they should give up on him. Clearly he has potential, they see that in him and they're pushing him.  Besides, who cares what the ''critics behind the scenes'' have to say about him, and what does that have to do with what the fans think about Sheamus' push? I think you're trying to combine two very different things here, and I don't think you have a proper grasp on either. Not every fan is in the IWC, and almost know fan actually knows what happens backstage in the WWE. We hear stories about politics and ribs and all that stuff, but who do they normally come from? Guys like Triple H and Shawn Michaels. And guess what? They actually support Sheamus! So who's going to be against his push other than Randy Orton?

In just the last decade alone I can point you to Umaga, Vladimir Kozlov, Carlito, Khali, Chris Masters, Mike Knox, Big Daddy V, and I'm sure I'm missing a lot more...A major heel with a somewhat flawed gimmick that may not connect with the North American core eventually fizzles out.  These guys all came on majorly strong only to find themselves putting over the established workers and some never finding their way out of that hole.  Any of these guys could have been handed the WWE Championship after the way they were booked after their debut and probably would still have the same result they are currently in.

The only one of those guys you mentioned that has ever been a world champion is Khali, and he didn't get anywhere near his debut. In fact it's been well documented that Khali was a transitional champion for Smackdown because there was literally no one else to give it to due to injuries. Sheamus held the title for two months at a time where almost everyone on the roster was healthy. Triple H, HBK, Orton, Cena were all healthy and all wrestling on the show, yet they gave the title to Sheamus and put him over two of those guys (and they're about to put him over a third).

The difference between all those guys and Sheamus is that Sheamus (apparently) has the backing of a few important people backstage, and how ever it may irk Randy Orton, I don't think it's fair to compare him to a few other big man gimmicks that were always there simply to put other people over. Sheamus was put over. There's a big difference.

I think whoever leaked this tip, whether its legit or not, questions Sheamus' leadership skills as well.  He may be the first to show up in the morning and the last to leave at night, but what business doesn't have a period where you have to pay your dues?  As stupid as it sounds, people resent those that have everything handed to them quickly even if they deserve it.  This is the same reason that everyone questioned Cena's ability at first but hes shown relentless commitment to the company and even though he's booed half the time, he still piles in the merchandise $$$.

Sheamus is 32 and has been on the indy circuit for a while, not to mention down in FCW for like 3 years, and then ECW. I know some people like to think that paying your dues means floating around the mid card of the WWE for a few years, but he has experience and has clearly worked his way to the WWE. I'm not going to sit here and make assumptions about who likes him backstage and how hard he works, but it's clear that people see something in him to put him in this position. And I don't understand how bringing Cena into this helps your point. All that shows is that someone who hasn't ''paid his dues'' per se can work his way up WHILE paying his dues.

I think I've answered this in another thread, and I think this has less to do with Sheamus than it does with WWE management.  I think a bunch of people felt there have been a lot of missed opportunities in the past with wrestlers that have flamed out or never reached their true potential due to questionable booking.  Wrestling fans were blindsided by this random elevation of a hulking, pale Irish guy and think there has to be an ulterior motive to his ascension.  His connection to HHH and HBK behind the scenes just raises those conspiracy theorist feelings within the IWC that think these two are just power hungry egomaniacs.  In my case, I could care less who his acquaintances are, I just don't see that spark where his gimmick equals $$$ and entertainment over the long term.

It's a fair argument, but as power hungry and egotistical as HBK and Triple H are, you can't question their knowledge and dedication to the business, and I'm not sure you could question their eye for talent either. They've allowed Cena to rise up over the years and both guys have put him over. They did it with Orton, and they did it with Batista too. Sure, it may be fair to say that sometimes they overstay their welcome in the main event, but I think people have been overly harsh on Triple H especially these last few years. He's clearly grown a lot since he was burying everyone in WWE in 2003-04-05, and he clearly understands that at over 40 years old he won't be around that much longer, and neither will Vince. Most of the younger big stars in the WWE are there at least in part due to Triple H.

And as for dropping the ball on a specific wrestler, we could sit here and argue all day about the reasons why some people are pushed and others aren't, but it all comes back to the fact that we don't know the whole story. We don't know what happens backstage.

All we know is stuff that people who are dissatisfied enough with the WWE to leak information tell us. And you can't sit there and tell me that those people are the most objective sources of information.

As for Sheamus, I'm not going to lie to you and tell you he excites me and is the biggest thing to happen to the WWE since Brock Lesnar, but I do see the potential in him, his potential appeal to the audience (there are a lot of people of Irish descent in the US) and how he could antagonize a large portion of the audience anyway (cause you know, heels are supposed to do that). Sure, he's gone to the top quickly and in a way people might not like, but it's not like he's hogging the limelight and he deserves an extended chance. I think people should just be happy that there's a fresh face in the main event for once.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.