Author Topic: Official: TNA BACK to Thursdays  (Read 1466 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Official: TNA BACK to Thursdays
« on: 6 December 2009, 03:03:38 AM »
I don't have all the details so I will update when I hear more, but Hogan was just on the Ultimate Fighter finale and he announced that January 4th, 2010, TNA will be going head-to-head with monday night raw, and he would be making his debut with the company, and even teased whether he would wrestle or not.

Not sure about the details and whether it will be live, or whether it's full time or a one time thing, so I'll update when it's posted on all the sites, but this is big news.

Edit: PWInsider is saying that it's a 3 hour special starting at 8 PM from the impact zone. Also note Bischoff and Dixie Carter were sitting ringside with Hogan, but didn't speak.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Axel

« Reply #1 on: 6 December 2009, 03:24:35 AM »
It's a one time thing. Unless they get good ratings and feedback and they'll consider it being weekly.

Official Press Release via. TNAwrestling.com:

HULKAMANIA IS COMING BACK TO MONDAY NIGHT ON

Offline Dale

« Reply #2 on: 6 December 2009, 03:33:10 AM »
It's a difficult situation for TNA to make as without a doubt that episode will be sure to get a boost in rating, but they can't let that get to their head. I would imagine that regardless of the rating they get they will go to back to usual timeslot for the forseeable future and then judge the ratings based on their taped show. If it climbs and stays relatively steady then we could see them return to Mondays.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #3 on: 6 December 2009, 03:57:38 AM »
This is an interesting situation. It'll definitely get a decent rating just because it's live and the hype around Hogan, but I can tell how it's going to go. Hype Hogan for 2 hours and 50 minutes then have him come out and confront Angle or something.

I think the more interesting question here is how WWE reacts. Do they stack their show? Get a host that you simply can't miss? Or even go 3 hours themselves?

Or do they ignore it, stay the course and do a normal show, showing that they don't see TNA as competition?

Either way, it's tricky. If they do stack their show, they obviously acknowledge TNA as competition, but we run a better chance of getting a better show out of RAW, but TNA could still get a good rating. If they don't, and TNA gets a good rating, it will look bad on them.

If I were them, I'd definitely stack the show. Get a big name host, maybe even Austin or something, schedule a title fight, pull out all the stops. But we'll see. It's going to be an interesting month going up to that night and I'm definitely hyped for that night!

Offline Axel

« Reply #4 on: 6 December 2009, 04:14:09 AM »
Well either way, WWE vs. TNA is going to happen.

Dixie has already announced that TNA Epics (highlight show) and another TV program in the works is going to air on Spike. Epics will premiere In January.

That means TNA will eventually have 3 shows during the week. Outside of Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays, TNA will be forced to book their shows around those dates cause of Spike's other programming.

So, If Impact stays on Thursdays which is what Spike wants. I still expect some sort of competition between WWE and TNA on Mondays at somepoint.

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #5 on: 6 December 2009, 06:30:05 AM »
Let me say this...I always watched WCW because WWE was coming on later that same night and I always thought this would have some benefit for TNA at first.  Instead of doing random stuff during Raw commercial breaks I'd just flip over to TNT to watch Nitro and I'll probably do the same with impact.  I never watched Thunder (1999-2001 version) because it was on its own night and never remembered, kinda like impact and smackdown now.

I can tell you now, TNA will shatter their best rating on this night, but the real question is what will they get once its the norm and dont have a debut appearance of the most famous professional wrestler of all time?  This is the problem WCW had and they ending resorting to the craziest storylines to pacify the backstage area while trying to get some sort of attention.

Now, I would expect this leading the WWE to do an all out assault on the Rock to be the host of that 1/4/10 show.  I know I've read rumors that Rock can't fit that date into his schedule, but Vince will now make sure he can.  If not, he'll try to get Austin or some other huge name.  The first Raw of the year always has a marquee match, whether it was HHH winning the belt from Big Show on the first raw of the millenium to Cena vs. K-Fed.  Vince will not go down without a fight.

1/4/10 = first intriguingly fun Monday night in almost a decade

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #6 on: 6 December 2009, 05:25:23 PM »
looks like WWE could counter punch with 3 hours themselves.

According to F4WOnline.com, WWE is possibly going to counter TNA Wrestling's live show on Monday, January 4th against RAW.

According to the website, WWE may schedule a three hour show of their own, so that both WWE's program and TNA's program will go completely head-to-head from 8-11PM ET.

The 1/4 RAW will take place in Dayton, Ohio at the Nutter Center. As of right now, it's being listed as an 8:15 start time for the event.

Even with Hogan and them going live on a monday i don't think the ratings will go up too much. and then especially if WWE goes to a 3 hour special. and as we have seen from WWE its harder to get better rating on 3 hour shows than it is for 2 hour shows, most the time the 3 hour shows ratings will be lower that the 2 hour show.

anyways, nice little attempt by TNA, but im not that excited beings its only one week, i would have been more excited if they added an additional wrestling show.

Offline Gorsty

« Reply #7 on: 6 December 2009, 10:05:12 PM »
Now if WWE does do a 3 hour show that week just out of the blue, they are acknowledging that TNA are indeed competition. Surely if WWE didn't see them as any sort of threat, they'd not even bat an eyelid at the fact TNA are airing a live 3 hour special head to head with RAW

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #8 on: 6 December 2009, 10:19:16 PM »
I think WWE just wants to kill any chance of them ever being a threat, i don't think they view them as a threat right now, but they just want to make this harder on TNA.

Offline Dale

« Reply #9 on: 7 December 2009, 01:07:45 AM »
Quote from: utmgorsty;36372
Now if WWE does do a 3 hour show that week just out of the blue, they are acknowledging that TNA are indeed competition. Surely if WWE didn't see them as any sort of threat, they'd not even bat an eyelid at the fact TNA are airing a live 3 hour special head to head with RAW

In my eyes I don't see it as that, I see it as more the WWE wanting to ridicule Hogan for jumping ship.

Offline Gorsty

« Reply #10 on: 7 December 2009, 06:44:52 AM »
But its not jumping ship, WWE never offered anything to Hogan, he wasn't onboard the WWE ship to jump.

The simple fact is, WWE see TNA as competition as much as they hate to admit it, and by going 3 hours proves it. Had WWE not entertained the thought of hosting a 3 hour show on that day to counteract the iMPACT special, then we could believe it when WWE says "TNA is no competition" because they wouldn't be acknowledging them, but by doing this, they show there is something there

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #11 on: 7 December 2009, 07:07:48 PM »
Quote from: utmgorsty;36381
But its not jumping ship, WWE never offered anything to Hogan, he wasn't onboard the WWE ship to jump.

The simple fact is, WWE see TNA as competition as much as they hate to admit it, and by going 3 hours proves it. Had WWE not entertained the thought of hosting a 3 hour show on that day to counteract the iMPACT special, then we could believe it when WWE says "TNA is no competition" because they wouldn't be acknowledging them, but by doing this, they show there is something there

Hogan was a WWE guy, whether he was under contract or not. They just released a DVD of his matches and if he isn't getting a cup of that I'd be severely surprised. Even if WWE wanted him back to wrestle, I'd bet his demands would be pretty ridiculous, which would lead me to believe that Hogan is doing this to spite Vince.

And ya, WWE would be dumb to think or act like they aren't competition, but as someone else pointed out, I think it's more a matter of trying to squash their attempts to go up against them instead of simply acknowledging them as competition.

Either way, I don't think anything is official on WWE's side so this is all just hypothetical at the moment.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2009, 02:44:52 AM »
When I heard this on TUF Finale this was my reaction..

:tumble

followed by

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm taking bets now... Over/under first rating on a Monday night. 1.5 or Over..... I am taking the under.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2009, 04:34:15 AM »
I think they'll beat their average Thursday rating, but at the same time, I want to wait and see what WWE counters with. Also, the first hour is going to kill the overall rating since 8PM wrestling never does well on Mondays anyway.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2009, 03:41:10 PM »
I would take the under on that too. there is so much more competition out and its so much harder to get a better rating with a 3 hour show and also a new night. not to meantion besides hearing on wrestling news sites and forums i haven't seen TNA advertise it.

i will go as far to say it will be lucky to get a 1.0. and thats coming from someone he really enjoys the current TNA product. but going against Boise ts vs TCU and a 3 hour raw and you're on a new night? i don't think so.

but i did like what hogan said about it not being about a number but giving fans a choice.