Author Topic: CM Punk getting a bodyguard....  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Mrs. Randy Orton

CM Punk getting a bodyguard....
« Reply #30 on: 30 September 2009, 07:45:14 AM »
This had better be nothing but internet bulllshit because if this really happens, this is a huge fail.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #31 on: 30 September 2009, 02:15:38 PM »
Quote from: Mrs. Randy Orton;34960
This had better be nothing but internet bulllshit because if this really happens, this is a huge fail.

It would be nice to know why you thought so... I think it would be interesting to put someone under Punk's wing and I think it would elevate both Punk and who ever they put there, so long as they kept it relatively serious.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Gorsty

« Reply #32 on: 30 September 2009, 07:59:03 PM »
I'm a huge Punk mark, have been since his ROH days, but he's been a top WWE star for about 2 years, its a little too soon for someone to want to learn from him. As I said above, a stable of "followers" would make sense as any good politicians can get people to believe whatever they're selling as true

Offline Mrs. Randy Orton

« Reply #33 on: 30 September 2009, 08:05:29 PM »
Quote from: Hollywood Prax;34968

It would be nice to know why you thought so... I think it would be interesting to put someone under Punk's wing and I think it would elevate both Punk and who ever they put there, so long as they kept it relatively serious.

I don't think I need to explain how stupid this would be for Punk to get some dead weight to follow him around. He doesn't need it, at all, especially not some shit like Festus. He's a wrestler who has had more than one guy beat him up on more than one occasion. He doesn't suddenly need a bodyguard. He can fight just fine on his own.

Instead of throwing bodyguards around, the WWE should try to work on making more legit tag teams.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #34 on: 30 September 2009, 08:15:31 PM »
Quote from: Mrs. Randy Orton;34983

I don't think I need to explain how stupid this would be for Punk to get some dead weight to follow him around. He doesn't need it, at all, especially not some shit like Festus. He's a wrestler who has had more than one guy beat him up on more than one occasion. He doesn't suddenly need a bodyguard. He can fight just fine on his own.

Instead of throwing bodyguards around, the WWE should try to work on making more legit tag teams.

I don't know if you've been following Punk's development as a character lately, but they're moving him into the Chris Jericho heel direction, more or less... a preachy heel who will do anything to win. Sounds like the perfect character to put a bodyguard on, it's not like he's been dominating wrestlers and they're just randomly putting a bodyguard on him.

Moreover, what's wrong with festus? He had a silly gimmick, but if you've ever actually seen any of his matches he's actually a really good big man worker. If they change the gimmick while putting him on punk there's nothing wrong with him. I'd hardly classify him as ''dead weight''.

Offline Gorsty

« Reply #35 on: 30 September 2009, 09:20:38 PM »
Quote from: Hollywood Prax;34984
Quote from: Mrs. Randy Orton;34983

I don't know if you've been following Punk's development as a character lately, but they're moving him into the Chris Jericho heel direction, more or less... a preachy heel who will do anything to win. Sounds like the perfect character to put a bodyguard on, it's not like he's been dominating wrestlers and they're just randomly putting a bodyguard on him.

Moreover, what's wrong with festus? He had a silly gimmick, but if you've ever actually seen any of his matches he's actually a really good big man worker. If they change the gimmick while putting him on punk there's nothing wrong with him. I'd hardly classify him as ''dead weight''.
The problem is, WWE sees someone who isn't huge and thinks they instantly need a bodyguard when they are a heel, they did the same with Kendrick, could have gotten by on talent and traditional heel tactics, instead, lets have a meat head follow him around as a bodyguard. Confusing why these so-called tough guys would need a bodyguard in the first place

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #36 on: 28 November 2009, 01:32:01 AM »
I know we have another Punk thread, but bump. I think they pulled it off better than most of us could have imagined.

Offline Dale

« Reply #37 on: 28 November 2009, 02:51:34 AM »
I agree with you, I actually liked it tbh will be interesting to see where they go with it. Given the attire "Luke" was wearing, i'll mark the fuck out if Striker starts calling him a 'Straight Edge Soldier.' It was interesting to note that Punk said he was still offering his hand out for anyone else who needs his help, so I wonder if there's anything else in that, or if i'm looking into too much.

Seems aswell that they didn't take the "unlogical" way in feeding him pills to make him straight edge, but instead got him off them :yes

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #38 on: 28 November 2009, 02:56:48 AM »
Quote from: Mick Clique;36207
Seems aswell that they didn't take the "unlogical" way in feeding him pills to make him straight edge, but instead got him off them :yes

Can't ever truly be sure of that...In the WWE world, if they ever wanted to break them up and have luke turn face back to the festus gimmick they can use the reasoning of punk giving him xanex or whatever.

Anyway, I think this is a good move for both Punk and Festus/Luke.  It gives Festus a real gimmick this time and these two can either be singles wrestlers or a dominant tag team.  In the end, I can see Festus becoming the next Kane a long way down the future as he has the size and can move around in the ring to give him staying power and a guy that can make someone else look good.

Offline Dale

« Reply #39 on: 28 November 2009, 03:05:34 AM »
Quote from: narcolepsy;36208

Can't ever truly be sure of that...In the WWE world, if they ever wanted to break them up and have luke turn face back to the festus gimmick they can use the reasoning of punk giving him xanex or whatever.

Anyway, I think this is a good move for both Punk and Festus/Luke.  It gives Festus a real gimmick this time and these two can either be singles wrestlers or a dominant tag team.  In the end, I can see Festus becoming the next Kane a long way down the future as he has the size and can move around in the ring to give him staying power and a guy that can make someone else look good.

For sure, this is the wrestling world so anything is possible and at anytime too, but for now at least they've gone the right way with it. With regards to his new gimmick, I hope he gets given a chance and not just shunned because he used to play Festus, even though he showed some good parts in a very restrictive gimmick most notably against Undertaker (during the Edge & Vickie vs Taker feud) I think it was when he was choked out. He's also only 25 believe it or not so he has a lot of time to perfect his craft.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #40 on: 28 November 2009, 02:06:12 PM »
^ I noticed his age as well, was shocked when I saw it. I think his new gimmick looks really good, his in ring wear is awesome, hope he keeps that. He's got great potential, i just hope WWE use him right.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #41 on: 28 November 2009, 03:48:44 PM »
Quote from: narcolepsy;36208

Sure, they "could" do that in the WWE world, but they haven't so for now, I think they're doing a great thing.

I too would mark if they started calling him the "Straight-Edge Soldier" and the way punk's promo went yesterday, it sounds like there could be more soldiers on the way. Straight-Edge Army, anyone?

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #42 on: 29 November 2009, 01:43:26 AM »
Hmm it didn't come off too well with me. i hated what luke or festus was wearing and didn't really by into the explanation enough. would have been different if they said they made him take meds and thats what messed him up instead of it being drugs and what not.

to be honest i would rather Bam Neely come back and do the job or bring in vance archer from ECW to do it.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #43 on: 1 December 2009, 03:38:57 PM »
Quote from: Adampro123;36247
Hmm it didn't come off too well with me. i hated what luke or festus was wearing and didn't really by into the explanation enough. would have been different if they said they made him take meds and thats what messed him up instead of it being drugs and what not.

to be honest i would rather Bam Neely come back and do the job or bring in vance archer from ECW to do it.

He was just wearing basically normal clothes...

ANd I don't understand, you're saying they should have said that they made him take meds, not drugs? Meds are drugs...

Festus makes total sense, he has the prior gimmick that's been set up, and for once WWE is using the past, and not forgetting it. Festus was on meds, or drugs, or whatever you want to call it, and now he isn't and he can see clearly, just like Punk.

He has a good look, imo, and from what I remember of him he's a great big man worker in the ring. He fits the role perfectly and totally deserves a shot.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #44 on: 2 December 2009, 02:34:26 PM »
Quote from: Hollywood Prax;36272
Quote from: Adampro123;36247

He was just wearing basically normal clothes...

ANd I don't understand, you're saying they should have said that they made him take meds, not drugs? Meds are drugs...

Festus makes total sense, he has the prior gimmick that's been set up, and for once WWE is using the past, and not forgetting it. Festus was on meds, or drugs, or whatever you want to call it, and now he isn't and he can see clearly, just like Punk.

He has a good look, imo, and from what I remember of him he's a great big man worker in the ring. He fits the role perfectly and totally deserves a shot.

What i meant was it made it sound more like he was taking drugs on his own. what i would have liked was if they said that he was on medication and was always doped up on that. because when i look back i don't see festus as a drugy he seemed like someone who was doped up on some pills.

Still it doesn't really explain the ring bell thing, but whatever.

and if thats supposed to be normal clothes then he seriously needs to come out of the 90's and stop looking so dated :lol