Poll

What was your favorite Pay-Per-View through six months of 2008?

oyal Rumble (Rey/Edge, Orton/Hardy, John Cena returns and wins Rumble)
3 (25%)
o Way Out (2 Elimination Chambers)
3 (25%)
restleMania 24 (Edge/Undertaker, Orton Retains, Flair Retires, Mayweather/Big Show)
4 (33.3%)
acklash (Fatal Four-Way for WWE title)
0 (0%)
o Way Out (Steel Cage Match for WWE Title)
0 (0%)
ne Night Stand (Edge/Taker TLC, HBK/Batista Stretcher, First Women\'s I quit match)
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Best Pay-per-view: mid-way through the year  (Read 508 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Best Pay-per-view: mid-way through the year
« on: 26 June 2008, 01:33:39 AM »
So which pay-per-view did you enjoy the most throughout the year so far?

Here's a quick recap to help you decide, with highlighted major events to help you decide.

Royal Rumble

Ric Flair defeated MVP in a Career Threatening match
JBL defeated Chris Jericho by Disqualification
Edge (w/ La Familia) defeated Rey Mysterio to retain the World Heavyweight Championship
Randy Orton defeated Jeff Hardy to retain the WWE Championship
John Cena (#30) won the Royal Rumble

No Way Out

Chavo Guerrero defeated CM Punk to retain the ECW Championship
The Undertaker defeated Batista, The Great Khali (w/Ranjin Singh), Finlay, Montel Vontavious Porter and Big Daddy V (w/Matt Striker) in an Elimination Chamber match
Ric Flair defeated Mr. Kennedy in a Career Threatening Match Edge defeated Rey Mysterio to retain the World Heavyweight Championship
John Cena defeated WWE Champion Randy Orton by disqualification
Triple H defeated Umaga, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, John "Bradshaw" Layfield and Jeff Hardy in an Elimination Chamber match

WrestleMania 24

John "Bradshaw" Layfield (JBL) defeated Finlay (w/Hornswoggle) in a Belfast Brawl
CM Punk defeated Shelton Benjamin, Chris Jericho, Carlito, Montel Vontavious Porter (MVP), Mr. Kennedy and John Morrison in a Money in the Bank ladder match
Batista defeated Umaga
Kane defeated Chavo Guerrero to win the ECW Championship
Shawn Michaels defeated Ric Flair in a Career Threatening match
Beth Phoenix and Melina (w/Santino Marella) defeated Maria and Ashley in a Playboy BunnyMania Lumberjack match
Randy Orton defeated Triple H and John Cena in a Triple Threat match to retain the WWE Championship
Floyd Mayweather, Jr. defeated The Big Show in a No Disqualification match
The Undertaker defeated Edge to win the World Heavyweight Championship

Backlash:

Matt Hardy defeated Montel Vontavious Porter (MVP) to win the WWE United States Championship
Kane defeated Chavo Guerrero (w/Bam Neely) to retain the ECW Championship
The Big Show defeated The Great Khali
Big Show pinned Khali after a chokeslam.
Shawn Michaels defeated Batista (w/Chris Jericho as Special Guest Referee)
Beth Phoenix, Melina, Jillian Hall, Layla, Victoria and Natalya defeated Mickie James, Maria, Ashley, Michelle McCool, Cherry and Kelly Kelly in a 12-Diva Tag Team match
The Undertaker defeated Edge to retain the World Heavyweight Championship
Triple H defeated Randy Orton (c), John Cena, and John "Bradshaw" Layfield (JBL) in a Fatal Four-Way Elimination match to win the WWE Championship

Judgment Day:

John Cena defeated John "Bradshaw" Layfield (JBL)
John Morrison and The Miz defeated Kane and CM Punk to retain the WWE Tag Team Championship
Shawn Michaels defeated Chris Jericho
Mickie James defeated Beth Phoenix and Melina in a Triple Threat match to retain the WWE Women's Championship
The Undertaker defeated Edge by countout for the vacant World Heavyweight Championship
Jeff Hardy defeated Montel Vontavious Porter (MVP)
Triple H defeated Randy Orton in a Steel Cage match to retain the WWE Championship

One Night Stand:

Jeff Hardy defeated Umaga in a Falls Count Anywhere match
The Big Show defeated CM Punk, John Morrison, Chavo Guerrero (w/Bam Neely) and Tommy Dreamer in a Singapore Cane match
John Cena defeated John "Bradshaw" Layfield (JBL) in a First Blood match
Beth Phoenix defeated Melina in an "I Quit" match
Batista defeated Shawn Michaels in a Stretcher match
Triple H defeated Randy Orton in a Last Man Standing match to retain the WWE Championship
Edge defeated The Undertaker in a Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match to win the vacant World Heavyweight Championship

---------

My short analysis of each pay-per-view before I choose:

Royal Rumble: Pretty good pay-per-view, a classic match between JBL and Jericho, both title matches were appropriate an entertaining, especially the ending of the Edge/Mysterio match. A great Royal Rumble match too, great first 2 participants with HBK and Undertaker, classic moment to have them start it off and hopefully it's a teaser for a WM match next year in Houston. Surprise winner and entrant John Cena is a +++ for me.

No way Out: It's all about the 2 Elimination chambers. Both delivered, IMO, both had classic moments. But beyond that there wasn't much. Still worth the money though.

Wrestlemania 24: Probably the best Wrestlemania in a long time. It gave up a moment we will remember for the rest of our lives and probably tell our children and grandchildren about in Flair's retirement match, a couple great main event title matches, A surprisingly good match between Big Show and Mayweather, and a good as always MITB match. But the thing is, it's expected to be this good, so I can't vote for WM. It probably was the best pay-per-view, but other than Orton winning it didn't really have any surprises or "WTF" moments.

Backlash: This is where the PPVs started going downhill, IMO this one was a little forgettable.

Judgment Day: Same as above. Good to see a Steel Cage match main event a pay-per-view in the days of Elimination Chambers and Punjabi Prisons and Hell in a Cells, etc,etc. But one match doens't necessarily make a pay-per-view.

One Night Stand: My choice for Pay-per-view of the mid-year so far. Not a single weak match on the card. Even the botched match which ended because of an injury was entertaining. It gave us at least 2 match of the year candidates and was entertaining beginning to end. Loved it and gave it an A, would've been an A+ if the WWE title match didn't have to end early tbh because I know Orton and Triple H would've beaten their last Last Man Standing match and that was my MOTY from 2007.

So I choose One Night Stand. It was entertaining beginning-to-end, some great results and fun matches.

#2 No Way Out
#3 Royal Rumble

Wrestlemania is in a class of its own tbh. What's yours?

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Barz

« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2008, 01:37:43 AM »
I really enjoyed One Night Stand. I ordered that and Judgment Day and both were decent, but One Night Stand as Prax said didn't have a bad match. I LOVED the Melina/Beth I Quit match, they gave the diva's time and they really delivered a great match here. Overall that PPV was really impressive.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2008, 01:45:06 AM »
Quote from: StratusFan;2753
I really enjoyed One Night Stand. I ordered that and Judgment Day and both were decent, but One Night Stand as Prax said didn't have a bad match. I LOVED the Melina/Beth I Quit match, they gave the diva's time and they really delivered a great match here. Overall that PPV was really impressive.

Interesting statistic: It was the longest Women's match of the year (assuming they didn't have a longer match on TV, which I seriously doubt), certainly among the PPV women's matches. That includes a 10 woman tag match. Not that there were monay but it's still impressive they went almost 10 minutes. And they didn't even need gimmicks like weapons or anything. it was almost all submissions and it was great. They did some stuff you don't even see the guys do. Really, possibly one of the best women's matches of all time, at least that I remember.

one of my early candidates for match of the year.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2008, 02:45:15 AM »
I gotta go with 'Mania. Undertaker and Edge was an awesome match. Mayweather and Big Show was actually pretty good for what it was and it was fun... But the thing that made it for me was we saw a future main eventer be born in CM Punk when he won the Money In The Bank match. But most imprtantly we saw the end to the best career in wrestling history. Ric Flair and HBK was the best match of the night. It was historic, it was heart-felt, it was everything it should have been and Ric Flair got the proper send-off.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline The Franchise

• The One True Breed.
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2008, 11:39:50 AM »
I have to go with the Royal Rumble. A good-solid card that delivered the goods and more (Cena return).

No Way Out was a huge disappointment to me. On paper it had the strongest card outside of WrestleMania and failed to deliver big time. Also, instead of being figured around the return match of John Cena v Randy Orton, it was all on Triple H.

I haven't seen WrestleMania yet so I can't pass judgment on it.

Backlash I didn't like, especially the stupid ending which should never have happened. The most memorable part of this PPV was Shawn Michaels "fake injury" which says it all.

Judgment Day was very similar to Backlash, terrible ending, poorly booked and had the awful ending to Taker/Edge, seriously WTF was that about.

One Night Stand was good. A strong card, however it had far too many gimmick matches (I know that's the idea of the PPV, but come on, if this was TNA you'd all be FIRE RUSSO lol.) and although not planned, the ending of Orton/HHH killed the climax.

Offline Adampro123

• Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2008, 09:10:54 PM »
I've still yet to see one night stand but for me its wrestlemania. it was one of the best wrestlemanias ever IMO. no way out and royal rumble was also good and backlash and judgement day were ok to pretty crappy.

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2008, 05:51:26 AM »
As much as I want to give an opinion, I can't. The only PPV I've seen all year was RR.
"This is my welcome!"
Shame on TNA for letting go one of the best female wrestlers in the world.

Offline Zuccini

« Reply #7 on: 1 July 2008, 12:13:23 PM »
for me nothing beats the elimination chamber match.
best match ever created!!

Offline kertonl

« Reply #8 on: 1 July 2008, 03:26:38 PM »
Had to be no way out. :D the chamber matches ruled. :D

Xbox Live GT: kertonl

Offline Adampro123

• Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #9 on: 2 July 2008, 11:40:14 PM »
Now that i have watched one night stand ande night of champions here are my picks from top to bottom.

Wrestlemania. 9.5
No way out.. 8.5
One night stand. 8.25
Royal Rumble. 8.0
Night of Champions. 7.75
Backlash. 7.0
Judgement day.6.25

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #10 on: 3 July 2008, 03:14:04 AM »
Regardless of what everyone voted, I think this proves one thing: WWE has really delivered for the good this year. Sure there was a few bad PPVs and ratings have sucked, but I feel like this will be a good year in the end for WWE. They're on their way back up and if their stars can stay healthy for the most part, I think in a few years we'll look back at 2008 as the beginning of something good from WWE.

Offline Rated Punishment

« Reply #11 on: 3 July 2008, 05:07:07 AM »
I have chosen Wrestlemania 24

- My reasons simple my wrestling idol, the man I mark for the most...Ric Flair wrestled his potentially last ever match there and put on one hell of a show. HBK and Flair poured their hearts and souls into this match and created some very real emotion.

- Randy Orton was switched on that night HHH, Cena and Orton all put a damn good show on in their match and each showed what they could do if they had to.

- The Undertaker vs Edge match was great with some good and real heat aroud this match with a good storyline and should have been the capping to their feud finish.

- Money in the bank was another stunt filled match with some very good spots and some close finishes, CM Punk was right to have won that match and showed how to use the briefcase at the exact right time.
Just when you think you have won, you wake up in hospital.
Forum Veteran
Always makes an Impact