Author Topic: Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo invade WWF/E  (Read 532 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo invade WWF/E
« on: 14 June 2009, 08:58:11 PM »
Talking about this team in the Ultimate Mayhem Tag Tournament got me to do some research and led me to this video. It's pretty bad quality but that's not important. I remembered this moment vividly after I watched this video. O'Haire and Palumbo were both tremendously mis-used throughout their careers, but this moment was special. The WCW Invasion was incredible when it first started then it went straight to shit after they started using it as a reason to give Kurt Angle and Steve Austin comedy angles (although they were pretty funny.

Still, if you remember this, you will mark out:

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2009, 11:47:47 PM »
O'Haire was so damn athletic for a big guy.. He was a great talent.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2009, 03:51:27 AM »
petty awesome clip there,also some good stuff from the hardyz and duleyz too.

wasn't this also the night that mike awesome came in and won the hardcore title?

Offline Dale

« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2009, 03:57:17 AM »
I'm not gonna lie, I loved the whole Invasion angle despite almost nearly everyone shitting on it.

Offline J2M

• Ballin'
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2009, 04:36:32 AM »
Quote from: Loose Cannon;29196

Agreed.

I always thought Sean O'Haire had great potential also in the WWE, yet was never used and was given weird gimmicks. He really could of shone IMO.

Maryse \'fucking\' Quellet

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2009, 05:47:19 AM »
Quote from: Mick Clique;29203
I'm not gonna lie, I loved the whole Invasion angle despite almost nearly everyone shitting on it.

It's not the idea or the angle that got people upset, it's how it went to shit after a few months. The actual invasion was epic, especially with the ECW twist as well. When they started using it to lace entire shows with Angle and Austin comedy segments, i think it kind of lost its effectiveness and the whole point to doing it. It kind of dragged on and got boring. Just simply mismanaged in the end.

Either that or it's the fact that it led to Triple H being the main guy lol.

Offline Dale

« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2009, 04:01:17 PM »
I still loved it but probably because back then I was an actual fan with no access to the internet or dirtsheet sites and just accepted everything for what it was unlike nowadays where I feel like i'm more of a critique. In hindsight it probably was mismanaged but I enjoyed the shit out of it.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2009, 09:54:24 PM »
Quote from: J2M;29207
Quote from: Loose Cannon;29196

Agreed.

I always thought Sean O'Haire had great potential also in the WWE, yet was never used and was given weird gimmicks. He really could of shone IMO.

Well, he did have a downfall. He had no mic skills....

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline Awesome

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2009, 10:32:18 AM »
Quote from: Mick Clique;29221
I still loved it but probably because back then I was an actual fan with no access to the internet or dirtsheet sites and just accepted everything for what it was unlike nowadays where I feel like i'm more of a critique. In hindsight it probably was mismanaged but I enjoyed the shit out of it.

I completely agree with those sentiments (also having the same experience), and believe that 2001 was a great year in wrestling (Y)
Quote from: CM Punk
Please, if you say ‘Because it’s your destiny’, I swear to jeebus I’m going to start drinking.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2009, 01:56:32 PM »
Hey I agree with you! It's 2002 that it all started going down the toilet :P

Offline J2M

• Ballin'
« Reply #10 on: 18 June 2009, 02:08:34 PM »
Quote from: Mick Clique;29221
I still loved it but probably because back then I was an actual fan with no access to the internet or dirtsheet sites and just accepted everything for what it was unlike nowadays where I feel like i'm more of a critique.

I know how you feel. I remember with little things like returns, I would mark the fuck out :lol It wasn't until about 2006 did I get into WWE Forums and internet gossip surrounding the industry. And I agree, I fucking loved the invasion. The whole concept is good when done right, and yeah it may have been a bit shaky now watching it, but then I was loving it.

I also agree with Awe, 2001 was a great year in wrestling. And I also agree with Prax, from there on it went downhill :giggle

Maryse \'fucking\' Quellet

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2009, 02:28:02 PM »
Yup, it was the death of the competition that did them in. Up until then they had WCW and ECW to compete with. And before the IWC era began, you'd stick your face to the tube every monday night, whether it was RAW or Nitro, and eventually Smackdown or (lol) Thunder, because you knew they always wanted to upstage each other and at any moment someone could jump shit.

Now there's no one to jump ship. WWE won't let go of the guys who matter to them and if they do, they'll make sure to bury them in the process and hold them for that 90 day period. And TNA is filled with guys who probably wouldn't want to go back to WWE, or at all if they've never been, and if they do, they'll get brought up slowly through developmental if at all.

They need that competition again, but unfortunately there's no one to offer it to them.

And the death of ECW and WCW represented that, and having all those guys come in was the last big markout moment.

Offline Awesome

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2009, 02:47:50 PM »
I didn't actually discover WWF until 2000 - up until then I was only aware of WCW - I guess I really should have paid more attention to the TV listings :P
Quote from: CM Punk
Please, if you say ‘Because it’s your destiny’, I swear to jeebus I’m going to start drinking.