Author Topic: Ronaldo Sold to Real Madrid for record amount  (Read 450 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Ronaldo Sold to Real Madrid for record amount
« on: 11 June 2009, 04:25:21 PM »
MANCHESTER, England (AFP) - Manchester United have agreed to sell Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid for a world record 80 million pounds, the club said Thursday.

"Manchester United have received a world-record, unconditional offer of 80 million pounds for Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid," said a statement on its website, under the headline "Reds accept

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2009, 04:37:31 PM »
It's 80 million british pounds, not dollars...so that works out to a tidy sum of $131 million american dollars...

I'm a little on the fence about this practice of transfers, on one hand the team that owns the players' contract gets compensation relative to the skills of the player they are losing and can use that money to get new players, but on the other hand the player rarely gets to decide where they are going and might not be able to get the best contract from the new team they are sent to.

However, in the case of Ronaldo, I'm sure he handpicked the team he wanted to go to and was going to force United to get rid of him.  Looks like Madrid is going to dominate for the next few years.

I can understand that it could get really really boring playing for United, but as a famous American Football coach once said "You play to win the game"...they beat up on the same 20 teams every year, win the 2-4 trophies every year that the only way to challenge yourself is to switch to a new team and see if you can work your way to the top again.

Offline Big Daddy V

• Favourite Wrestler(s): HBK, Daniel Bryan, Big Daddy V, John Morrison, Goldust, Booker T, CM Punk.
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2009, 07:18:05 PM »
I am getting very annoyed with the money situation in European football at the moment. The  magnitude of figures involved are just outrageous, this sort of money should not be spent on football transfer and wages it should be used on important issues such as the global economy and finding cures for diseases. Most of the money being spent is usually in the English premier league thanks to the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City and i feel that the smaller clubs will never have a real chance of improving if all that happens is the bigger clubs just snapping up players immediately. I firmly believe that there needs to be a salary cap or bid limit of some sort to make the game much more equal and more competitive overalll, meaning a better game of football.

@lewlew94

Offline chappers

• Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2009, 08:08:26 PM »
Quote from: narcolepsy;29038
It's 80 million british pounds, not dollars...so that works out to a tidy sum of $131 million american dollars...

I'm a little on the fence about this practice of transfers, on one hand the team that owns the players' contract gets compensation relative to the skills of the player they are losing and can use that money to get new players, but on the other hand the player rarely gets to decide where they are going and might not be able to get the best contract from the new team they are sent to.

However, in the case of Ronaldo, I'm sure he handpicked the team he wanted to go to and was going to force United to get rid of him.  Looks like Madrid is going to dominate for the next few years.

I can understand that it could get really really boring playing for United, but as a famous American Football coach once said "You play to win the game"...they beat up on the same 20 teams every year, win the 2-4 trophies every year that the only way to challenge yourself is to switch to a new team and see if you can work your way to the top again.
I disagree with some of your points.

In the case of Ronaldo he has been extremely whiney/unprofessional with the way he has handled this Real Madrid business, although Real Madrid have been worse tbh. This was the transfer news last season, in which Ronaldo made it clear he wanted to leave, but United didn't want him too. As the year has gone by, there's been loads of suck up articles from Ronaldo about United, how he wants to be a legend to United and never wants to leave etc. (obviously worried that he might not be welcome) I'm surprised he's had such a warm reception in the past year, especially after his attitude in the world cup a while ago. I highly doubt any English fan even likes Ronaldo anymore, as the guy is a complete jerk.

A while ago, he crashed a Ferrari or a Bugatti, i can't remember what it was. He has a huge collection of cars from what I have read, literally about 10 or more supercars. The guy plays football for money, which Real Madrid have more of then Man Utd. There is no reason to play for Real Madrid, other then money. The club has no stability in it's management, and are terrible in defence (since they always buy attack minded players). They don't even need midfielders/strikers. The only players who have played well for them are normally the players they have brought through their youth system, yet they never work that out.

I wouldn't say it's boring to play for United. The premier league is the league you want to play in. La Liga, whilst it has Barcelona and Real Madrid, is a slower league, probably doesn't suit Ronaldo as well as the premier league tbh.

Real Madrid won't be anything better then what they already are. Kaka moved earlier in the week to them for

Offline Captain Carefree

• LARIATOOO!
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2009, 12:55:48 AM »
The thing that really infuriates me is not transfer fee's, it's the matter of Players wages, as some people have stated a wage cap would be best English football, i feel. The thing is when Ronaldo goes to Real Madrid he is to recieve

[/U]

Offline Dale

« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2009, 03:21:24 AM »
The problem with Real Madrid is right up at the top level of the club with the president and what not with Florentino Perez. He has to come up with these massive name signings to make sure he is re-elected or to remain in his position. He himself is basically choosing which players (for the most part) the club should sign and not the actual manager. Granted i'm pretty sure the manager would want a Ronaldo or a Kaka in his team. I agree with Chappers that attacking options is their lesser priority but defenders just dont generate that same sort of buzz these flair players generate. Take John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic for example three of the worlds best defenders but they just don't give you that buzz compared to a Ronaldo, Kaka, Villa or Beckham.

Quote from: Big Daddy V;29043
I am getting very annoyed with the money situation in European football at the moment. The  magnitude of figures involved are just outrageous, this sort of money should not be spent on football transfer and wages it should be used on important issues such as the global economy and finding cures for diseases. Most of the money being spent is usually in the English premier league thanks to the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City and i feel that the smaller clubs will never have a real chance of improving if all that happens is the bigger clubs just snapping up players immediately. I firmly believe that there needs to be a salary cap or bid limit of some sort to make the game much more equal and more competitive overalll, meaning a better game of football.

I agree with you that these sorts of figures they are paying for guys and their wages are insane but a salary cap in football would kill it and I doubt we will ever see it. The problem is that if you were to introduce a salary cap it would have to be worldwide and not just the odd countries. Granted alot of clubs in England can pay stupid transfer fee's and wages but as a fan it's great and it will have to continue for the Premier League to be know as the best league in the world. Imagine if the Premier League had transfer caps and salary caps? We would be losing many of these world class players to other countries. You wouldn't have your Fabregas', Torres', Drogba's, Robinho's etc as they could get better wage packages elsewhere.