Author Topic: Was Tazz Underutilized in WWE?  (Read 391 times)

Offline Pala!

Was Tazz Underutilized in WWE?
« on: 23 June 2008, 11:32:21 PM »
Just a thing that dawned on me, and here is the question. Was Tazz Underutilized in WWE?. In ECW, before he went to WWE, WWF at the time, he was ECW's man. That's my opinion, people say Tommy Dreamer, Rob Van Dam, and Shane Douglas was. Tommy Dreamer was the heart and soul of ECW, but he wasn't "the man". Rob Van Dam wasn't at that time, but arguably he was a bit later. Shane Douglas, in the entire history of ECW, was arguably "the man". But at that point Tazz was it.

In his first match in WWE, if I am correct, was against Kurt Angle. I can't remember how many suplexes were hit in that match, but there was a lot. He got a HUGE pop and the crowd were soo into that match it was unbelievable. He was a badass in ECW, but in my opinion WWE dropped the ball with him. What do you think?

Offline Barz

« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2008, 12:07:33 AM »
He was definitely underutilized. I see what they were trying to do. They were putting him in hardcore matches and trying to capitalize off of his background in ECW and his repuatation of being extreme. But they never made him the face of the division and they jobbed him out within a few months to guys like Crash Holly and Jerry The King Lawler which hurt his reputation. I think they should have built him up after being the first man to defeat Kurt Angle. They could have built him as a huge face to feud with someone like Triple H who worked well with the faces back then and he would have gotten over huge.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2008, 12:23:20 AM »
Tazz's first match was against Kurt at the Royal Rumble in NYC. It was a match that had been built up for weeks because the kept teasing Tazz. Then he makes his debut to a huge crowd in MSG and beats Kurt (for what I believe was Angles firrst loss).

The crowd went ballisitc for Tazz but it was because he was over in that area. NYC was a hotbed for ECW and not to mention Tazz was from there as well. So he got a "hometown" boy reaction more then anything.

So after he made his mark what did he do? Nothing a couple of tag title regins and I think a hardcore title regin. But why? I think it points to his wrestling ability. All he could to was hit about 10 diffrent suplex variations and a choke-hold as a submission. He was for the most part a boring wrestler and I think WWE utilized him the way he should have been. His wrestling skill was lacking which they saw and stuck him in a tag team where it could be partially hidden and in hardcore matches where very little wrestling is used.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2008, 04:59:26 AM »
I think they totally dropped the ball on Taz i remember back when he debuted against kurt too. it was awesome and i hadn't really seen him that much until then. but once he got to WWE it was probably more of bad timing with them pushing guys like triple h, the rock, stone cold, mick foley,Kurt angle and of course the TLC guys around that time. then there was the invasion and taz had a small feud with tajirir but before that he started working on heat and he did great so they just kept him on that roll and he retired before we knew it.

But overall yest WWE didn't use tazz right at first but he retired not that long afterwards so overall i think tazz has to be satisfied with everything.and he is one of the few ECW guys still in WWE to this day.

Offline lox

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2008, 06:37:44 AM »
To me, I dont think he was. It was how the WWE used him, and if he was used as a Jober or such then thats how he was used. In No way was he under used or used differently that we didnt like. HE was hardcore, thats what the fans wanted to see, and thats what we got. Wrestling has changed in so many ways. Some people may think Cena was underused when he debuted... things change in this kind of buisness...

Offline geek 3.14

• #1 Kane fan
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2008, 04:56:22 PM »
I always thought that he was. I really liked him out there and IMO he got screwed A LOT!!  He should be happy with the ways things turned out for him though. FFS he still has a great job and he didn't get swept under the rug like so many others.

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2008, 09:10:22 PM »
Quote from: Mr.Cannon;1885
Tazz's first match was against Kurt at the Royal Rumble in NYC. It was a match that had been built up for weeks because the kept teasing Tazz. Then he makes his debut to a huge crowd in MSG and beats Kurt (for what I believe was Angles firrst loss).

The crowd went ballisitc for Tazz but it was because he was over in that area. NYC was a hotbed for ECW and not to mention Tazz was from there as well. So he got a "hometown" boy reaction more then anything.

So after he made his mark what did he do? Nothing a couple of tag title regins and I think a hardcore title regin. But why? I think it points to his wrestling ability. All he could to was hit about 10 diffrent suplex variations and a choke-hold as a submission. He was for the most part a boring wrestler and I think WWE utilized him the way he should have been. His wrestling skill was lacking which they saw and stuck him in a tag team where it could be partially hidden and in hardcore matches where very little wrestling is used.

You hit the nail right on the head cannon.

If they would of built Tazz up to be in the main event, could he wreslte an approximately 20 minute long match that would require more than suplex variations, choke holds, and didn't have any kind of hardcore stipulations?

We will never find out really but IMO no and I think Tazz didn't think so either which is why he retired kinda prematurely and decided to be a commentator.
"This is my welcome!"
Shame on TNA for letting go one of the best female wrestlers in the world.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2008, 03:50:13 AM »
Quote from: Mr.Cannon;1885

Pretty much agree with everything, but I have a couple of things to add.

First of all, WWE must've been fairly sure that Tazz didn't have much left in him, that he was going to retire in a year or two or however many years he stayed active, otherwise I would imagine he would've received at least a little bit of a bigger push.

That being said, I still don't think he fit the WWE mold. he had a weird look and a weird style. He was a very good wrestler and he was entertaining for the most part, but in WWE it jsut didn't work. If it wasn't for the fact that he retired a little while after he came to WWE, if he kept going til, let's say a year or two ago, then yes, I would say he was underutilized, but it's not like they had loads of time to do stuff with him either.

I think they used him about right and anything he got out of WWE was a courtesy.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.