Author Topic: What can TNA do to improve to a greater mainstream wrestling company?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
What can TNA do to improve to a greater mainstream wrestling company?
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2009, 12:00:59 AM »
Quote from: Prax;26898
Quote from: TJChurch;26888
Foley should be a focal point for the same reason any fans back Taker in WWE.

I can't tell you how many people were ticked he (or his related merchandise) didn't show tonight.

You can't tell us because you didn't see any people who were ticked off?

And Foley is in no way comparable to undertaker. The only reason he was ever popular was because of Undertaker.

Largely b/c we used a lot of move-able folding chairs, not actual seating, so I couldn't count... Plus, once I realized a match was going on that involved a few wathable wrestlers, I decided to watch it instead, as they have so few of those in the company. (Not like WWE, where they have a midcard & some "dark match" level people.)

Foley was poipular pre-Taker, & he'll be popular long after Taker's gone... Provided The Deadman gets a clue & realizes it's hang-em-up time soon.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #16 on: 30 April 2009, 12:09:24 AM »
Sign some/all of the following people and push them as your own stars:

1) Claudio Castagnoli
2) The Briscoe Brothers
3) Dragon
4) Nigel
5) Anyone from ROH you can get your hands on.

Release most/all of the following people:

1) Kurt Angle
2) Booker T
3) Scott Steiner
4) Kevin Nash
5) Sting
6) Mick Foley

Push the following talent you already have like WWE pushed Rock and Austin and everyone else from the attitude era:

1) Joe
2) A.J.
3) Eric Young
4) Jay Lethal
5) MCMG.

etc.

Saddly these things will never happen.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
« Reply #17 on: 30 April 2009, 06:59:17 AM »
1] If you dare release Foley, release JJ while you're at it. (The reason they call him the founder now is b.c the true founder, his Daddy, sent a guy to WWE. It was Kozlov, but still,...)

Also, what's the point of signing ROH guys? How is that different from signing Vince/Turner's olld guys? Anyone with a DVD player &/or online will know they're "built" (fanbase-wise, etc.) before you got them.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2009, 03:58:33 PM »
Quote from: TJChurch;27152
1] If you dare release Foley, release JJ while you're at it. (The reason they call him the founder now is b.c the true founder, his Daddy, sent a guy to WWE. It was Kozlov, but still,...)

Also, what's the point of signing ROH guys? How is that different from signing Vince/Turner's olld guys? Anyone with a DVD player &/or online will know they're "built" (fanbase-wise, etc.) before you got them.

It's different because they won't have recognition to mainstream audiences. They can build them as their own stars, like WWE did with CM Punk. I don't think anyone says that WWE has banked on CM Punk's name recognition with ROH since signing him. They made him a WWE guy and it's what TNA needs to do.

I would say 10% of WWE fans knew who Punk was when he debuted, and it would be the same thing with TNA fans, maybe slightly more, say 20%.

The other difference is that they guys I mentioned aren't 40 years old and/or past their prime.

As for Jarrett, go ahead and release that overrated, overhyped son of a bitch and see if I care. (Y)

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2009, 10:25:03 PM »
Quote from: Prax;27161
It's different because they won't have recognition to mainstream audiences. They can build them as their own stars, like WWE did with CM Punk. I don't think anyone says that WWE has banked on CM Punk's name recognition with ROH since signing him. They made him a WWE guy and it's what TNA needs to do.

I would say 10% of WWE fans knew who Punk was when he debuted, and it would be the same thing with TNA fans, maybe slightly more, say 20%.

The other difference is that they guys I mentioned aren't 40 years old and/or past their prime.

When Punk debuted, I don't recalll my local FYE (the same place I buy my TNA & WWE stuff) having ROH DVDs, including ones with Joe, MVP, Kendrick, & Punk on them.

ALso, I don't recall ROH having their own shows as widely available on HDNet or other TV channels, even on PPV.

WWE didn't bank on his name b/c the option wasn't there, at least not as much as it is now. (That's why TNA & WWE spend so much time buying/changing people's on-screen names, ala Chistian; So that if they jump companies, the other group can't bank on their pre-recognized name.)

Also, I agree with you that many TNA has are past their prime, &/or just plain old. But that's what gives you guys like 3D who can say theyve been Champs as many different times & places as they have, which (not just them saying it, but it being true) makes fans respect them/their talent more in many cases. (Also, whether we like it or not, there are some fans that will see &/or recognize the names, & when it comes to ages/primes/the like, they will just not care.)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #20 on: 1 May 2009, 01:25:04 AM »
Quote from: TJChurch;27177

When Punk debuted, I don't recalll my local FYE (the same place I buy my TNA & WWE stuff) having ROH DVDs, including ones with Joe, MVP, Kendrick, & Punk on them.

ROH was just as popular in 2005/2006 as it is now. Low Ki, Danielson, Joe, Aries, Punk are all names that were well known amongst at the very least IWC fans. If you go to a casual fan now and ask them who the Briscoe Brothers, you're likely to either be answered with a blank stare, or that guy who used to kiss Mr. McMahon's ass with Pat Paterson.

ALso, I don't recall ROH having their own shows as widely available on HDNet or other TV channels, even on PPV.

HDNet is widely available? Are you serious? :lol. Not to mention the fact that ROH on HDNet just started a few weeks ago, but HDnet is not a widely available network in the slightest.

WWE didn't bank on his name b/c the option wasn't there, at least not as much as it is now. (That's why TNA & WWE spend so much time buying/changing people's on-screen names, ala Chistian; So that if they jump companies, the other group can't bank on their pre-recognized name.)

WWE didn't need to bank on his name because he had the skill set required to become a star on his own, and they saw that, and that's the reason they made the ballsy move to let him keep his own name when he came on. But not because there was no bankability, as I said, the popularity of ROH is about the same now as it was 3 years ago. It's a niche product that won't appeal to everyone and has a very specific set of rabid and loyal fans.

Also, I agree with you that many TNA has are past their prime, &/or just plain old. But that's what gives you guys like 3D who can say theyve been Champs as many different times & places as they have, which (not just them saying it, but it being true) makes fans respect them/their talent more in many cases. (Also, whether we like it or not, there are some fans that will see &/or recognize the names, & when it comes to ages/primes/the like, they will just not care.)

That's cheap though, sure Team 3D can say they've been popular and they've been champions everywhere, but how long will that work? And what happens when this doesn't work anymore? When people stop respecting those wrestlers as has beens (already starting to happen)? When they retire? Get more ex-WWE guys? They have to build their own stars and so long as these old geezers are in the company they're never going to reach the level of popularity that they're able to.

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
« Reply #21 on: 1 May 2009, 03:57:04 AM »
Quote from: Prax;27181
ROH was just as popular in 2005/2006 as it is now.]

I gotta disagree, esp. due to the increased sales of shows, DVDs, etc., I mentioned earlier.

C fans. If you go to a casual fan now and ask them who the Briscoe Brothers, you're likely to either be answered with a blank stare, or that guy who used to kiss Mr. McMahon's ass with Pat Paterson.

Was that meant to back my point or yours?You say it was popular in the past, & thn talk about how little some of their stars are known even now.

HDNet is widely available? Are you serious? :lol. Not to mention the fact that ROH on HDNet just started a few weeks ago, but HDnet is not a widely available network in the slightest.

More than it was even 1 or 2 years ago.

WWE didn't need to bank on his name because he had the skill set required to become a star on his own, and they saw that, and that's the reason they made the ballsy move to let him keep his own name when he came on.

That skill set, etc. is one of the top reasons TNA (& the 'E, tho maybe to a lesser extet) are fighting to keep the names of some of their top stars (or change them, & own the rights to the new names.)

But not because there was no bankability, as I said, the popularity of ROH is about the same now as it was 3 years ago. It's a niche product that won't appeal to everyone and has a very specific set of rabid and loyal fans.

And as I say, that "niche porduct" idea is a minimalist, pessimistic, & regardless of those incorrect idea only people who don't like/believe in ROH would have. Even though HDNet may not be as widely available as (say) Sci-Fi, that will allow the audiences that see ROH shows & appreciate/back iti/ts stars to increase, as will the later sales of the DVDs & those shows.

That's cheap though, sure Team 3D can say they've been popular and they've been champions everywhere, but how long will that work? And what happens when this doesn't work anymore? When people stop respecting those wrestlers as has beens (already starting to happen)?

I don't know... But when are those problems going to occur for Hogan? Taker? HBK? Sure, depending on what fan you talk to about who, some of us it already doesn't work for, etc... But some it still does/will, & who's to say that won't be true for later fans about those stars, or the stars being "made" currently?

When they retire? Get more ex-WWE guys? They have to build their own stars and so long as these old geezers are in the company they're never going to reach the level of popularity that they're able to.

That's a booking problem more than it is a signing problem; They need older &/or known names to assist in making stars out of the newer/younger stars.

Offline Axel

« Reply #22 on: 4 May 2009, 04:56:36 AM »
Quote from: Prax;27124

1) Claudio Castagnoli
2) The Briscoe Brothers
3) Dragon
4) Nigel

1) Kurt Angle
2) Booker T
3) Scott Steiner
4) Kevin Nash
5) Sting
6) Mick Foley

Push the following talent you already have like WWE pushed Rock and Austin and everyone else from the attitude era:

1) Joe
2) A.J.
3) Eric Young
4) Jay Lethal
5) MCMG.

etc.

TNA is a new company and they want people to have their TV sets on them.

The WWE/WCW guys are household Pro Wrestling names that are brought in to keep the company alive and carry them with the ratings.

They do need to push their own superstars but they can't do it with non household name wrestlers. For WWE it's easy since everyone watches it and it's way easier to push them.

TNA is a company that hasn't made an Impact (no pun intended) as a household name for people to pick up on the names as AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Chris Daniels, etc.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2009, 12:14:39 AM »
Quote from: Axel;27295
Quote from: Prax;27124

1) Claudio Castagnoli
2) The Briscoe Brothers
3) Dragon
4) Nigel

1) Kurt Angle
2) Booker T
3) Scott Steiner
4) Kevin Nash
5) Sting
6) Mick Foley

1) Joe
2) A.J.
3) Eric Young
4) Jay Lethal
5) MCMG.

etc.

TNA is a new company and they want people to have their TV sets on them.

The WWE/WCW guys are household Pro Wrestling names that are brought in to keep the company alive and carry them with the ratings.

They do need to push their own superstars but they can't do it with non household name wrestlers. For WWE it's easy since everyone watches it and it's way easier to push them.

TNA is a company that hasn't made an Impact (no pun intended) as a household name for people to pick up on the names as AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Chris Daniels, etc.

The thing is, if you see all these names on one show, sure, you may tune in to see what's up if you're a wrestling fan, but what sticks you to that show? And sure, that's fine for a "new" company, but how is TNA a "new" company still? They started in 2002, almost 8 years is certainly enough to build enough of a fan base. Hell that's almost as long as ECW's entire run. They need to start letting go of the old timers, bring in some GOOD unestablished names and focus on wrestling.

If TNA really wants to use WWE as a base, then look at their product and how good it is when they focus on wrestling, like at Backlash, and how bad it is when they focus on useless shit, like they did at wrestlemania.

And what's such a flaw that I see in the logic that they need "household names" to survive as a company, is how did all those old WWE "household names" become "household names"? They were built and pushed by the company they were in. Sure, TNA could use them, sprinkle them into their product to help put over newer talent, to help make newer talent household names themselves.

Unfortunately, that's not what they do. They bury that talent that could use the help so they can push those so-called household names, and their ratings remain stagnant.

This is the whole point all along, household names are built, they shouldn't just come to you.

Offline Axel

« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2009, 05:27:03 AM »
True. But you gotta admit they have done a pretty good job with Beer Money Inc.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2009, 04:44:34 PM »
Quote from: Axel;27711

Sure, why not. But those are two guys who should be main eventing by now. I think both Roode and Storm have done their time in tag teams and should be getting singles pushes.

Offline Captain Carefree

• LARIATOOO!
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2009, 05:01:36 PM »
It's Simple.

Book fueds/Angles/Matches of interest. The rest should come to them. At the moment it's just non-sensical you get the usual MEM opening promo. Then you constantly cut to the back to speak to Foley or Jarrett. No Wonder Christian Left.

I Still quite like it though for it's rare moments of brilliance.

[/U]

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Quote from: Captain Carefree;27869
It's Simple.

Book fueds/Angles/Matches of interest. The rest should come to them. At the moment it's just non-sensical you get the usual MEM opening promo. Then you constantly cut to the back to speak to Foley or Jarrett. No Wonder Christian Left.

I Still quite like it though for it's rare moments of brilliance.

Foley is still gold on the mic; I just don't see why they gave him the belt, too.

Offline Captain Carefree

• LARIATOOO!
« Reply #28 on: 19 May 2009, 12:06:02 AM »
Quote from: TJChurch;27881

Foley is still gold on the mic; I just don't see why they gave him the belt, too.

Foley is indeed still a tret to listen to on the mic. But if they keep constantly cutting back to him in a 2 Hour broadcast it becomes a little ridiculous as its taking away airtime in which others can use.

Also, Foley should never have been made champion, he is a poor wrestler but has great grasps on psychology. Maybe TNA should follow suit to what WWE is doing trying to bring forward new stars.

[/U]

Offline Axel

« Reply #29 on: 19 May 2009, 05:51:40 PM »
Quote from: Prax;27867
Quote from: Axel;27711

Sure, why not. But those are two guys who should be main eventing by now. I think both Roode and Storm have done their time in tag teams and should be getting singles pushes.

I agree. TNA needs a Randy Orton type heel.