Author Topic: TNA No Longer Papering PPV Events.  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
TNA No Longer Papering PPV Events.
« on: 17 August 2008, 12:21:01 AM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that TNA has implemented a policy to no longer "paper" their pay-per-view events feeling it's not good long-term business to give tickets away for free. TNA would often paper their pay-per-view events the week before the show due to lackluster ticket sales to make the venue appear full to the television audience. Last Sunday's Hard Justice pay-per-view drew 3,500 fans to the 8,500 seat Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton, New Jersey, another figure that has to be considered disappointing. By not giving away free tickets for Hard Justice, TNA combated the appearance of empty seats by moving nearly all of the fans to one half of the arena to give the illusion to the television audience that they drew a packed arena. One side of the arena had nearly all of fans whereas the hard camera side was practically deserted sans a few fans in the ringside seats.

Credit: Wrestlezone.com

WOW. TNA is damn lucky they have Panda Energy behind them that's for damn sure.
"This is my welcome!"
Shame on TNA for letting go one of the best female wrestlers in the world.

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2008, 02:53:37 AM »
First thought is "paper"ing came from the fact many free tix were later used for TP.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2008, 03:10:33 AM »
lol either way it gives them a bad rep.

With the old system, fans would just not buy tickets and they would get for free shortly before the event.

By not giving them away anymore, people are just gonna buy crappy tickets and get moves down to ringside.

But either way, it's damn hilarious.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2008, 03:18:26 AM »
::Wonders if that doesn't explain more Terrordomes, street fights, etc.::

TNA workers' thoughts: "That way, we don't have to show the higher-level seats, & PPV viewers might just assume they're sold-out b/c there are so many fans close-up."

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2008, 04:37:07 AM »
yes seeing a wrestling company with bad ticket sales is hilarious......

TNA should go to smaller places but in bigger cities. i like that they're holding PPV outside of the impact zone but they're obviously struggling with it. i really don't know what could help them though. at least they're trying.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2008, 04:40:24 AM »
Quote from: Adampro123;13393
yes seeing a wrestling company with bad ticket sales is hilarious......

What's funny is that they're so high on themselves and think they're so much better than WWE but they can't even half-fill a much smaller arena for a pay-per-view.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2008, 04:44:15 AM »
Quote from: Professor Prax;13395
What's funny is that they're so high on themselves and think they're so much better than WWE but they can't even half-fill a much smaller arena for a pay-per-view.

what would you suggest? them to think that they will never be anywhere as good or popular as WWE?if they don't try and believe in themselves then they will never have a chance.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2008, 04:53:47 AM »
Quote from: Adampro123;13397
what would you suggest? them to think that they will never be anywhere as good or popular as WWE?if they don't try and believe in themselves then they will never have a chance.

You're putting words in my mouth. It's not that. It's that they make claims and don't have anything to back those claims up. They jump into things and sign big names to look like they can compete and it continuously blows up in their face.

They don't have to come out and say they're the #1 promotion or that thye're better than WWE in order to be a credible wrestling promotion.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2008, 06:07:06 AM »
Quote from: TJChurch;13383
First thought is "paper"ing came from the fact many free tix were later used for TP.

TJ.... Thank you for a good laugh... The deserves a rep...

Now onto the actual subject... TNA needs to keep the PPV in Orlando.... With the way the American economy is it is too costly to travel. People aren't going to by tickets because times are tough. SO stay in Orlando and maybe explore smaller venues in Georiga, Alabama and other parts of Florida for PPV's if you want to take the show on the road.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline firewall316

« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2008, 06:21:58 AM »
Its good for them to believe they can be that good I guess. But to constantly claim that they are better than WWE and saying how crappy WWE is... then to not even fill half an arena for a PPV is pretty sad.. for them. I think its hilarious. Also, the ticket sales doesnt help peoples' arguments of how great TNA PPVs are and how much better a live TNA event is. I don't care how fan-friendly or whatever you want to call it that TNA is supposedly compared to WWE. Id much rather spend my money on a WWE event. And I guess Im really not the only one.

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2008, 06:40:34 AM »
Quote from: Adampro123;13397

Yeah, you gotta believe in yourselves &/or what you're doing/trying to do... For a certain amount of time.

But after a little while (far beyond the # of years TNA's been around), it stops being belief in the future, & becomes denyng what's happened/happening to you.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2008, 08:11:49 AM »
Quote from: Professor Prax;13398
You're putting words in my mouth. It's not that. It's that they make claims and don't have anything to back those claims up. They jump into things and sign big names to look like they can compete and it continuously blows up in their face.

They don't have to come out and say they're the #1 promotion or that thye're better than WWE in order to be a credible wrestling promotion.

Sorry to put words in your mouth i just miss understood.

but i don't think i have ever heard TNA say that they're the number 1 promotion TBH. i mean if they did it would be retarded. they can say that they're the best promotion (which isn't true but they can still say it because in some peoples minds they are  but i think everyone in the world knows what the number 1 promotion in the world of wrestling is.

Offline The Franchise

• The One True Breed.
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2008, 11:09:54 AM »
Quote from: Mr.Cannon;13404
TJ.... Thank you for a good laugh... The deserves a rep...

Now onto the actual subject... TNA needs to keep the PPV in Orlando.... With the way the American economy is it is too costly to travel. People aren't going to by tickets because times are tough. SO stay in Orlando and maybe explore smaller venues in Georiga, Alabama and other parts of Florida for PPV's if you want to take the show on the road.

I have to completely disagree with Cannon here. TNA needs to move their PPVS internationally. There is no doubt TNA's biggest fan base is not in North America and especially when the UK house shows sold up to 5000/10000 seats and they are only getting 1000/2000 in the US then they really need to have the PPVS in the UK, India, Australia, Japan etc. If TNA doesn't move some PPVs outside of N.America or if they go back to Orlando they will NEVER progress and they WILL die. Simple as.

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2008, 03:01:48 PM »
Quote from: The Franchise;13428
I have to completely disagree with Cannon here. TNA needs to move their PPVS internationally. There is no doubt TNA's biggest fan base is not in North America and especially when the UK house shows sold up to 5000/10000 seats and they are only getting 1000/2000 in the US then they really need to have the PPVS in the UK, India, Australia, Japan etc. If TNA doesn't move some PPVs outside of N.America or if they go back to Orlando they will NEVER progress and they WILL die. Simple as.

That's not necessarily true. There is nothing wrong with staying in Orlando and using  venues with less than 8500 as long as their making the money. TNA can still go over seas once in a while but not every friggin month. As long as they are using venues with a smaller capacity and making money instead of actually losing it, there is no need to go overseas every month to shoot a ppv. Fans will be able to buy DVDs, merchandise, ppvs, and watch them on TV.
"This is my welcome!"
Shame on TNA for letting go one of the best female wrestlers in the world.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2008, 03:55:25 PM »
Quote from: The Franchise;13428

Three problems with this:

- Going overseas is VERY expensive. Sure they might sell out a 10,000 seat arena and sell some merchandise, but the expense won't justify the trip. WWE pulls it off because they do a ton of shows at once, sell them all out and do most of them in bigger arenas. TNA can't pull that off.

- All of these overseas ppvs will have to be taped.

- And this is the worst one... it will alienate any fans they have in North America. Any fans that actually do go to TNA PPVs will start asking themselves why TNA isn't staying in the states and going to their towns for PPVs anymore. They will start wondering why they appreciate the fans in overseas countries more than they do themselves, and they will stop going to events, stop buying merchandise, and stop watching Impact and pay-per-views.

No matter where you think the most TNA fans are, the most important ones are in the states. It's a US based company and TNA needs to do well in North America if they want to survive, unless they move their entire operation to Europe (which I hope even you understand would be ridiculous).

There are reasons WWE never runs pay-per-views outside of the US and Canada...