Author Topic: U.S. Basketball - Beijing Olympics  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
U.S. Basketball - Beijing Olympics
« Reply #15 on: 16 August 2008, 06:21:48 PM »
Wow. I knew we were capable of beating Spain but I didn't think it would be by 37 points. I wonder what Cannon's reaction was when he found out the score to the game.
"This is my welcome!"
Shame on TNA for letting go one of the best female wrestlers in the world.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #16 on: 16 August 2008, 07:22:09 PM »
Quote from: CLMark;13338
Wow. I knew we were capable of beating Spain but I didn't think it would be by 37 points. I wonder what Cannon's reaction was when he found out the score to the game.

Shocked.. I figured USA would win but not by more then 10 or 15... Almost 40 that's incredible... Gold medal has to be ours now and Coach K has now proved he is one of the best if not best coach of all time.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline The Franchise

• The One True Breed.
« Reply #17 on: 16 August 2008, 07:28:47 PM »
No idea who the hell this Coach K is but take it from me, when a team has good players it doesn't mean they have a good coach. Chelsea FC (soccer) proved that last year. A coach only becomes great if he can get the best out of his team or his coaching methods improve/help the team. You cant just judge this "Coach K" because he has the players who are "unbeatable."

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
« Reply #18 on: 16 August 2008, 07:30:45 PM »
Quote from: The Franchise;13343
No idea who the hell this Coach K is but take it from me, when a team has good players it doesn't mean they have a good coach. Chelsea FC (soccer) proved that last year. A coach only becomes great if he can get the best out of his team or his coaching methods improve/help the team. You cant just judge this "Coach K" because he has the players who are "unbeatable."

It's not like he just popped out of now where and started to coach the team. He also  the College Basketball coach and has 3 National titles.Not to mention that he has took one of the worst programs and made them into one of the most prestigious in all of college sports, Duke University. So for a college coach to coach a group of NBA players (who are known to have massive egos) to a potential gold medal when it seem like some of the other NBA coaches have had trouble doing so before makes him a great coach in my book.

Not to mention I'm a huge Duke Fan so I already thought he was a great coach before hand.
"This is my welcome!"
Shame on TNA for letting go one of the best female wrestlers in the world.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #19 on: 16 August 2008, 08:32:17 PM »

If the USA team was so good before Coach K why did they finish 3rd in Athens and then 6th at the world championships if there "unbeatable". I mean seriously he took a team of huge egos who have never played internationally and turned them into what appears to be a gold medal team. I mean go and look at the box scores from every game and you will that no one player dominated offensively for the United States. You will see they played team basketball which is hard to get a bunch of young and egotistical guys to do... But he did it... So like I said in the USA Vs Greece thread know your facts before you come spouting off some bull...

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #20 on: 17 August 2008, 04:00:01 AM »

If this was any other sport I'd have an easier time agreeing with you.

Hockey has a lot to do with leadership on the ice, and key players in every position.
Baseball whatever.
Football has the quarterbacks.
Soccer has its superstars. You can win a soccer game with 1 superstar and a team of average players.

Basically what I'm saying is that most sports, you can get by and win games based mostly on the players you have, even at the olympics. But in basketball, especially at the olympics, it's a different story, and especially for the united states. That's a lot of young guys and a lot of BIG egos on the same team, it's the nature of being a superstar in the sport. And as they've shown basically all throughout this past decade, it's hard to put a lot of big egos like that together and succeed, and Coach K is doing it.

You have to give credit where credit is do, and the coach of the US team deserves a lot of the credit here, and it shows in the stats.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #21 on: 17 August 2008, 04:39:55 AM »
Quote from: CLMark;13345
It's not like he just popped out of now where and started to coach the team. He also  the College Basketball coach and has 3 National titles.Not to mention that he has took one of the worst programs and made them into one of the most prestigious in all of college sports, Duke University. So for a college coach to coach a group of NBA players (who are known to have massive egos) to a potential gold medal when it seem like some of the other NBA coaches have had trouble doing so before makes him a great coach in my book.

Not to mention I'm a huge Duke Fan so I already thought he was a great coach before hand.

co sign this. although im not a huge college basketball fan. i know coach K is a great coach and so far he has been doing a great job in the Olympics.

Offline The Franchise

• The One True Breed.
« Reply #22 on: 17 August 2008, 11:15:17 AM »
My point is though, IF Coach K fails to bring home gold for the US it's a failure on his behalf. And if that happens I will be laughing and delighted at the same time. Olympics is about showcasing the best amateurs who don't get these $Xmillions and when the professionals lose it's great for sport in general.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #23 on: 17 August 2008, 04:34:59 PM »
Quote from: The Franchise;13429
My point is though, IF Coach K fails to bring home gold for the US it's a failure on his behalf. And if that happens I will be laughing and delighted at the same time. Olympics is about showcasing the best amateurs who don't get these $Xmillions and when the professionals lose it's great for sport in general.

It's not about showcasing the best amateurs!

It's about showcasing the best athletes period, no matter what they do the rest of the 4 years. It's not only basketball that has professionals, hell, athletes from EVERY sport get paid to do what they do nowadays. it doesn't matter whether it's thousands or millions. From volleyball to track to swimming to baskterball and soccer, they all get paid to do it at some lever or another. It just so happens that basketball has a bigger market and can afford to pay its athletes more.

But it doesn't matter, I want to see the best athletes in any given sport, and i don't care how much they get paid.

And what's hilarious about your post is that you're ignoring that most of the athletes in the basketball tournament are professionals, and a lot of them from other teams play int he NBA specifically.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #24 on: 17 August 2008, 05:20:57 PM »
Quote from: The Franchise;13429

Your anti-USA sentiment is getting annoying IMO... But besides that... You still act like the USA team is the only team with professionals...ITS NOT! Every team from Europe has players on it that play in various European PROFESSIONAL leagues. Leagues in which are very competitive and have made strides on the NBA by leaps and bounds over the last 10 years. I mean just look at how many players come from Europe to play in the NBA now... So talk about how it should be about showcasing amatuer talent but make sure you include othe countries teams that also have pros on there not just USA....

Now furthermore if we went with amatuers we would still dominate. Coach K is a college coach and his school and himself are regarded as a top 5 basketball school year in and year out. So give him a bunch of 18 to 23 yr olds because he would have them playing better then any other team then aswell.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline 2Slick

« Reply #25 on: 19 August 2008, 04:14:04 AM »
Easy game. That German team is woefully bad. Glad to see us relax after the second

Offline 2Slick

« Reply #26 on: 20 August 2008, 07:02:10 AM »
I have no reason to think this won't be a rout against Australia. Our backcourt play will pretty much scorch them.

USA will win this by 20+ at least.                                       

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #27 on: 20 August 2008, 07:04:20 AM »
**cue Franchise's anti-American sentimet...**

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline The Franchise

• The One True Breed.
« Reply #28 on: 20 August 2008, 06:28:53 PM »
Quote from: J.Cannon;13797
**cue Franchise's anti-American sentimet...**

Come on Australia!? :huh

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #29 on: 20 August 2008, 06:34:54 PM »
im glad to see team USA doing good so far. but now the medal round starts so its all gonna be hard from here on. hopefully they ca remain unbeaten and brings some glory back to team USA.