Author Topic: Samoa Joe  (Read 463 times)

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
Samoa Joe
« on: 26 July 2008, 04:08:16 AM »
I write this because I want to know what all the hype surronding him. Over the last couple days I have watched alot of his ROH stuff and I have seen quite a bit of his TNA stuff. SO I guess I the question is what makes him so good? He has had a 21 month ROH title regin  and now he is TNA World Champion. So someone please tell me what makes him so damn good..

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
Samoa Joe
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2008, 04:58:02 AM »
He's not; I always tell TNA fans, "He makes a good Heavyweight. (Better than, say, Mysterio.) But an awful Heavyweight Champ. (Worse than Rey.)"

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
Samoa Joe
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2008, 05:06:45 AM »
I don't think Joe is a bad wrestler and I don't want anyone to think thats what I mean by this post... I just don't see his hype. I mean let me compare him to AJ Styles or Homicide other ROH guys in TNA. I feel that Homicide and Styles are both alot better then Joe and more main eventer type wrestlers. I think Homicide has had the ball dropped on him as a singles wrestler (LAX is good don't get me wrong). Then AJ is just a great all around performer as a wrestler. I think the only reason Joe is where he is at is because he is a near 300lbs man who can do stuff a man half his size does.... I think he is a mid-carder at best.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
Samoa Joe
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2008, 05:12:32 AM »
Quote from: Mr.Cannon;9828
I don't think Joe is a bad wrestler and I don't want anyone to think thats what I mean by this post... I just don't see his hype. I mean let me compare him to AJ Styles or Homicide other ROH guys in TNA. I feel that Homicide and Styles are both alot better then Joe and more main eventer type wrestlers. I think Homicide has had the ball dropped on him as a singles wrestler (LAX is good don't get me wrong). Then AJ is just a great all around performer as a wrestler. I think the only reason Joe is where he is at is because he is a near 300lbs man who can do stuff a man half his size does.... I think he is a mid-carder at best.

My addition is 2 words: Ultimate X.

I've seen Styles in a few, & LAX in 1, but I have a hard time "suspending my disbelief" & thinking those cables can hold Joe, let alone anyone else simultaneously.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
Samoa Joe
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2008, 05:22:12 AM »
Quote from: TJChurch;9830
My addition is 2 words: Ultimate X.

I've seen Styles in a few, & LAX in 1, but I have a hard time "suspending my disbelief" & thinking those cables can hold Joe, let alone anyone else simultaneously.

TJ.... Same here..... Me and you are agreeing on this topic and I'm glad we are because Franny and Adam will be in here defending him in a few short hours and how Joe is a wrestling diety or something...

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
Samoa Joe
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2008, 05:36:27 AM »
I'm glad you made up this topic Cannon because me and my brother had a talk about this the other day. I also came to the conclusion that it's because of his weight...that's it. It kinda reminds me why Mike Awesome was so popular in ECW. You rarely seen guys is size and height do some of the things he did. If Samoa joe was just as small as Styles, Daniels, or Homicide...would he still be as hyped as he is now? No. I really don't think so. I don't know...Maybe I'm just still bitter about TNA making Daniels job to Joe the way he did.
"This is my welcome!"
Shame on TNA for letting go one of the best female wrestlers in the world.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Samoa Joe
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2008, 05:38:19 AM »
It's cause he was ROH and already had a following when he went to TNA. He was already over. I mean it's more than just being a good pure wrestler that makes you a main eventer or a champion. If Champions were decided just based on wrestling skill Steve Austin would've been a jobber his entire career, same for Hulk Hogan. Some guys have skills that are above and beyond and that's what makes them champions, but some guys have that something extra, that makes the fans go crazy for him and makes him a champion, and Joe is one of those guys.

He'd never be a world champion in WWE though.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
Samoa Joe
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2008, 04:02:26 PM »
At First i didn't like joe. but that was before i actually started watching his matches and stuff. i used to not watch ROH and TNA up until around last year. and then i got the bets of joe TNA DVD and watched his stuff in ROH and his matches were great.
Plus joe has that special something, that type of spark and charisma that top guys has had before him.

I hear casual fans (im not saying any of you guys but people i know in real life) but casual fans don't seem to get he is such a good wrestler and they just think he's fat which is purely stupid and annoys me.
 but that's beside this topic.

Reason why i like joe? I think he is a great wrestler and he is unique and has great charisma and is just a all around bad ass.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Samoa Joe
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2008, 04:19:44 PM »
Quote from: Adampro123;9898
At First i didn't like joe. but that was before i actually started watching his matches and stuff. i used to not watch ROH and TNA up until around last year. and then i got the bets of joe TNA DVD and watched his stuff in ROH and his matches were great.
Plus joe has that special something, that type of spark and charisma that top guys has had before him.

I hear casual fans (im not saying any of you guys but people i know in real life) but casual fans don't seem to get he is such a good wrestler and they just think he's fat which is purely stupid and annoys me.
 but that's beside this topic.

Reason why i like joe? I think he is a great wrestler and he is unique and has great charisma and is just a all around bad ass.

As much as you don't like what these "casual" fans think, the truth is that they are a majority in wrestling, and what they say goes in the end. If they don't like a guy like Joe, then he shouldn't really be main eventing. Joe is a draw in TNA, but it's VERY doubtful he'd be a draw in a bigger company, and even you should be able to admit that.

I agree with just about everything you say though, he has a lot of skill for his frame and he has that charisma that lacks in a lot of wrestlers. But the it factor, i'm not so sure.

Offline The Franchise

• The One True Breed.
Samoa Joe
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2008, 08:22:53 PM »
Who says Franny will defend anyone? For the record I have never been Joe's biggest fan and in fact I have only seen a few great matches from him but that's because who he has been in the ring with which was; AJ Styles, Chris Daniels and Kurt Angle. Outside of wrestling them, I haven't been impressed at all. He's just a fat guy and I've always said that.

But that wasn't the thing that really got me all ROFLing in here, that as usual when it comes to anything in the TNA forum goes to Prax.

If Champions were decided just based on wrestling skill Steve Austin would've been a jobber his entire career, same for Hulk Hogan.

Watch his wrestling with WCW in the 90's then come back and tell me this while I am on that floor rolling and laughing about.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
Samoa Joe
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2008, 03:44:48 AM »
Quote from: The Franchise;9938
Who says Franny will defend anyone? For the record I have never been Joe's biggest fan and in fact I have only seen a few great matches from him but that's because who he has been in the ring with which was; AJ Styles, Chris Daniels and Kurt Angle. Outside of wrestling them, I haven't been impressed at all. He's just a fat guy and I've always said that.

But that wasn't the thing that really got me all ROFLing in here, that as usual when it comes to anything in the TNA forum goes to Prax.

Watch his wrestling with WCW in the 90's then come back and tell me this while I am on that floor rolling and laughing about.

I am aware of his earlier career thank you very much, but go watch his stuff from when he was actually over and tell me that he did a lick of wrestling during his time as champion.

If Austin continued being a good wrestler and didn't start being "Stone Cold" he would've never won a championship, simple as.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
Samoa Joe
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2008, 06:07:45 AM »
Quote from: Professor Prax;10010
I am aware of his earlier career thank you very much, but go watch his stuff from when he was actually over and tell me that he did a lick of wrestling during his time as champion.

If Austin continued being a good wrestler and didn't start being "Stone Cold" he would've never won a championship, simple as.

I will agree with that Prax... Austin was actually a very good wrestler but the Stone Cold gimmick put him over top thats for sure. In WCW as a HOLLYWOOD BLONDE he got over mostly because of Pilman. Then when he went singles his career was in a rut.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!