Author Topic: European Championships to be Expanded in 2016.  (Read 864 times)

Offline The Franchise

• The One True Breed.
European Championships to be Expanded in 2016.
« on: 28 June 2008, 05:41:55 PM »
*CREDIT: Skysports.com

The European Championships are on course to be expanded from 16 to 24 teams after Uefa's 53 member countries gave the proposal universal support. The executive committee of European football's governing body will make a final decision in September, but there was no opposition to the plan when it was raised at a meeting of association presidents and general secretaries in Vienna. The change would come into force for Euro 2016 and was originally put forward by the Scottish FA last year.

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith was delighted by the response, saying "It's something Uefa have seen no real disadvantage to. It will only mean a few extra days of the tournament and there is no down side in terms of loss of revenue. The feeling in the meeting was everyone else was in favour as well. There's an appetite for it, everyone appreciated the advantages and no one spoke against it. It will make the qualifying competition more attractive as more teams come into the mix and that will keep the group alive longer. We just missed out for this tournament behind Italy and France but under the proposed new regulations we would have qualified."

An Italian Football Federation spokesman said: "It was 100 per cent, it will happen for 2016 and it will boost the smaller nations."
I think this is what everyone wanted. Who knows, maybe Scotland, England AND Ireland can qualify for the Euros now. Not that anyone cares about Wales :lol2: (j/k :P) and that Mexico can't qualify Rey Mysterio! :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Offline Mr Kenny!

« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2008, 06:07:13 PM »
This sounds good to me it gives Ireland a better chance to qualify anyway so its all good
Made by me!!

Offline Mr Kenny!

« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2008, 06:09:49 PM »
This sounds good to me it gives Ireland a better chance to qualify anyway so its all good and its also good for Scotland too as i like Scotland but i hate England and I'm not bothered about Wales
Made by me!!