Author Topic: Vancouver 2010 Olympic Medals: You be the judge  (Read 686 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
Vancouver 2010 Olympic Medals: You be the judge
« on: 16 October 2009, 08:38:31 PM »

Not the best shot of them but either way, they're getting a lot of criticism, being compared to ''microwaved frisbees''. Regardless, I like them, they're different but there's no reason not the be different and revamp the medals a little.

The medals that will be awarded at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics were unveiled today, with organizers touting the awards' connections to Canada, utter uniqueness and hefty weight. What they didn't mention is that they look like microwaved frisbees.

The gold medal looks like it belongs in a bowl of potato chips at King Midas's house. So far I've heard people comment that the medals look like gelt, melted 45s or, as I thought, something from a Dali painting.

But before we get too critical, here are a few facts and explanations of how the medals came to get their, uh, interesting form:

-- The medals of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games are circular in shape and based on a large master artwork of an orca whale by Corrine Hunt, a Canadian designer/artist of Komoyue and Tlingit heritage. Each of the medals has a unique hand-cropped section of the abstract art, making every medal one-of-a-kind.

-- They are among the heaviest medals in Olympic, weighing between 500 grams to 576 g depending on the medal.

-- Each feature a different crop of larger contemporary Aboriginal artworks and are undulating rather than flat

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2009, 09:39:32 PM »
from that picture i do not like them.

i would agree about the microwave frisbees. i wouldn't mind them spicing medals up and changing them a bit but i would think they could come up with something better i mean it is the Olympics. kind of important right?

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2009, 11:34:57 PM »
Quote from: Adampro123;35402
from that picture i do not like them.

i would agree about the microwave frisbees. i wouldn't mind them spicing medals up and changing them a bit but i would think they could come up with something better i mean it is the Olympics. kind of important right?

Well if you read the article they're heavily based on important parts of Canadian history and aboriginals and the notion of waves through the ocean (seeing as Vancouver's on the pacific), etc. Sure it's a little abstract but why not be abstract? There have been worse designs imo before.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2009, 01:38:09 AM »
I really like them.
BUT at first look i thought they were suppose to be like a flame or something (You know that whole torch thing