Author Topic: Random WWE Discussion thread  (Read 16405 times)

Offline narcolepsy

Random WWE Discussion thread
« Reply #45 on: 3 September 2009, 06:56:18 PM »
Adding the 3 previous weeks is a little misleading because the first week is the high of the night after Wrestlemania which is always one of the highest numbers of the year no matter if the show sucked the night before or not and the two weeks after that carry a residual hangover that lingers until Backlash.

I'm the first to say that I don't like this guest host concept either, but by adding this the WWE has been able to maintain a higher than normal rating for the summer months when people are less likely to stay home and watch tv.  I think the one thing missing in this whole thing is how much is the WWE paying for these guest hosts to appear?  If its a normal appearance fee that doesn't outweigh the benefits of these higher ratings, then I don't see this stopping anytime soon.  However, if Vince is making his wallet wide open just to get a mainstream celebrity like Shaq or Jeremy Piven then this won't make much sense.

I think Bob Barker will go a long way to telling what impact the guest host has on the show company-wise.  He's a guy thats been out of the spotlight in America for a few years now, but pretty much everyone knows who he is.  I don't think the casual fan will go out of their way just to watch Raw this week to see Bob Barker, but I bet a few will stick around if they flip to USA Network and see him hosting just like he did with his game show for 35 years.

If Vince is able to find one host a month that can get him a 3.9-4.0 or above rating I bet he will be thrilled to take it as the mainstream enthusiasm for wrestling just isn't what it was 10 years ago.

Offline Axel

« Reply #46 on: 3 September 2009, 11:01:43 PM »
Quote from: Mick Clique;33898
Well that's rather contradictory right there. First you say to push a new heel / put on a new storyline, yet you then say they should carried on more with the McMahon / Orton feud which fortunately they didn't do because it was done to death and i'm almost positive that if I trawled back through old threads you would have been saying the same thing.

Not really, they could have easily turned it into a McMahon/Orton alliance. They could have also pushed a new heel at the sametime, It's not that hard to do both.

Anyways, you like it. I don't. We all have different opinions, doesn't really change that we both enjoy WWE.

You all may not think I do enjoy it but I do. I would just like it if they made the smart moves and put a more excited and unpredictable product.

Other than that, I do enjoy WWE. So, let's just put an end to this back and fourth arguing.

Offline Dale

« Reply #47 on: 3 September 2009, 11:33:56 PM »
Quote from: Axel;33958
Quote from: Mick Clique;33898
Well that's rather contradictory right there. First you say to push a new heel / put on a new storyline, yet you then say they should carried on more with the McMahon / Orton feud which fortunately they didn't do because it was done to death and i'm almost positive that if I trawled back through old threads you would have been saying the same thing.

Not really, they could have easily turned it into a McMahon/Orton alliance. They could have also pushed a new heel at the sametime, It's not that hard to do both.

But that's just pointless and your now coming up with a swerve for the sake of it to try and justify your original point. You always harp on about things being "unlogical" but your idea is in an amongst them.

Offline Axel

« Reply #48 on: 3 September 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
Again, I'm leaving this argument alone. Both different views, let's just keep moving on with the discussion.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #49 on: 4 September 2009, 12:30:28 AM »
Quote from: utmgorsty;33919

So you're comparing and getting an average for the shows, yet you compare 7 weeks pre-Trump to 11 weeks post-"guest host phase".

I've just fixed it, which includes the previous 4 weeks, while the average is still lower than the "guest host phase", but its not as bad as a 3.4, you also need to take into account that one of the RAW's (Trumps first episode that scored a 4.5) was a commercial free episode which likely got a higher rating because people were more interested in that gimmick.

Just because the ratings are higher doesn't mean the shows are better for it. The best rated episodes of iMPACT in recent months are the worst episodes, same goes for SmackDown!, the better shows are getting lower numbers.

I don't see why comparing it to the exact same scale of weeks makes a difference, it's just as arbitrary as much scale, which was basically the "summer" season where people start getting off school and stuff, and after the wrestlemania buzz dies off with Backlash. Either way, it's still a considerable difference and over 300 thousand extra viewers.

I included trump, albeit with an asterisk, because he too, was technically a guest host.

Like I said, it's arbitrary, but it's still an increase in ratings, and it had nothing to do with quality but Axel's statement that it hadn't given them a ratings boost outside of Shaq, even though it's given them a significant  and consistent ratings boost.

And finally, your last paragraph is a matter of opinion. Your least favorite episode of RAW could be someone else's favorite.

Quote from: narcolepsy;33920
Adding the 3 previous weeks is a little misleading because the first week is the high of the night after Wrestlemania which is always one of the highest numbers of the year no matter if the show sucked the night before or not and the two weeks after that carry a residual hangover that lingers until Backlash.

I'm the first to say that I don't like this guest host concept either, but by adding this the WWE has been able to maintain a higher than normal rating for the summer months when people are less likely to stay home and watch tv.  I think the one thing missing in this whole thing is how much is the WWE paying for these guest hosts to appear?  If its a normal appearance fee that doesn't outweigh the benefits of these higher ratings, then I don't see this stopping anytime soon.  However, if Vince is making his wallet wide open just to get a mainstream celebrity like Shaq or Jeremy Piven then this won't make much sense.

I think Bob Barker will go a long way to telling what impact the guest host has on the show company-wise.  He's a guy thats been out of the spotlight in America for a few years now, but pretty much everyone knows who he is.  I don't think the casual fan will go out of their way just to watch Raw this week to see Bob Barker, but I bet a few will stick around if they flip to USA Network and see him hosting just like he did with his game show for 35 years.

If Vince is able to find one host a month that can get him a 3.9-4.0 or above rating I bet he will be thrilled to take it as the mainstream enthusiasm for wrestling just isn't what it was 10 years ago.

I posted a story on the main site a while ago (too lazy to look but it's there if it isn't posted on the forums).

Basically, according to the IWC's sources, most guest hosts do the show for free or for a nominal fee in exchange for promoting whatever events they have coming up. Like Piven did it in exchange of all the shilling they did for the Goods. And considering it's all in-show, it doesn't take away from any of their advertising space. I'd imagine it's possible that a few of the celeb hosts made some more money, but I doubt any of them broke the bank. If Vince was opening his wallet up he'd get A-listers not B and C listers.

As for the wrestlers, they basically get a day's worth of salary. So the salary aspect is negligeable.

And thanks for posting basically what I just said lol.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #50 on: 4 September 2009, 04:03:42 PM »
Quote from: narcolepsy;33920

I'm the first to say that I don't like this guest host concept either, but by adding this the WWE has been able to maintain a higher than normal rating for the summer months when people are less likely to stay home and watch tv. I think the one thing missing in this whole thing is how much is the WWE paying for these guest hosts to appear? If its a normal appearance fee that doesn't outweigh the benefits of these higher ratings, then I don't see this stopping anytime soon. However, if Vince is making his wallet wide open just to get a mainstream celebrity like Shaq or Jeremy Piven then this won't make much sense.

I think Bob Barker will go a long way to telling what impact the guest host has on the show company-wise. He's a guy thats been out of the spotlight in America for a few years now, but pretty much everyone knows who he is. I don't think the casual fan will go out of their way just to watch Raw this week to see Bob Barker, but I bet a few will stick around if they flip to USA Network and see him hosting just like he did with his game show for 35 years.

I guess I was wrong, apparently RAW guest hosts really do score huge pay days :P

A few friends at the New York Jets game called me to tell me that Jeremy Piven, who hosted Raw a few weeks back was there with Kelly Kelly. Jim Ross wrote at the time that Piven had tried to get several WWE Divas' contact information when he hosted and succeeded at getting Kelly's.

Normally, I wouldn't even bother mentioning this, but the pair were just shown on the big screen of Giants Stadium, so it's fair game.

I guess it pays to host Raw!

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #51 on: 8 September 2009, 05:27:49 PM »
The talk of last night's Raw taping was a backstage fight between The Big Show and The Great Khali that took place on Saturday at the Smackdown house show at the Manuel Iguina Coliseum in Arecibo, Puerto Rico.
According to several I've spoken to, there has been some underlying heat between the two for some time, including Show being upset about Khali using moves that he feels should be exclusive to him "as a giant."  The two got into an argument after their six man tag bout that night.
As it was described to me, they were arguing for several minutes when Show threw the first punch. Khali blocked it "exactly like he does in the ring" and they began fighting.  Show slipped on something and went down.  Khali was on top of him but several of the wrestlers broke it up and the crew were ordered to keep them apart for the remainder of the tour.
Show was seen at fault among the wrestlers I spoke to last night.
Probably not that newsworthy, but am I the only one who actually would want to see a tape of this? I can certainly picture Khali acting exactly like he does in the ring in a real fight :lol

Offline Gorsty

« Reply #52 on: 9 September 2009, 12:22:41 AM »
Quote from: Hollywood Prax;34198
The talk of last night's Raw taping was a backstage fight between The Big Show and The Great Khali that took place on Saturday at the Smackdown house show at the Manuel Iguina Coliseum in Arecibo, Puerto Rico.
According to several I've spoken to, there has been some underlying heat between the two for some time, including Show being upset about Khali using moves that he feels should be exclusive to him "as a giant."  The two got into an argument after their six man tag bout that night.
As it was described to me, they were arguing for several minutes when Show threw the first punch. Khali blocked it "exactly like he does in the ring" and they began fighting.  Show slipped on something and went down.  Khali was on top of him but several of the wrestlers broke it up and the crew were ordered to keep them apart for the remainder of the tour.
Probably not that newsworthy, but am I the only one who actually would want to see a tape of this? I can certainly picture Khali acting exactly like he does in the ring in a real fight :lol
For once I agree with you, I said to my friend on the phone when I first read that about how I hoped there was video in the news report. I just find it funny that both are the same size (well, there is about 2 inches in it) and the whole Show being upset about Khali using moves that he feels should be exclusive to him "as a giant." is funny since he's not the only giant around, and its not like he uses the whole "giant" thing as a gimmick

Offline Axel

« Reply #53 on: 9 September 2009, 02:56:22 AM »
Quote from: Hollywood Prax;34198
That is the most pathetic shit I've ever heard. They really have a reason to fight of petty shit like that?

Both need to have "Giant" Sex and get it over with.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #54 on: 9 September 2009, 01:51:40 PM »
Sounds like Khali got the better of him. I can imagine Big Show being a bit of a prick in real life to be fair.
That reminded me of Joey Styles getting the better of JBL.

Offline Axel

« Reply #55 on: 10 September 2009, 11:44:23 PM »
So, how long til Barney guest hosts RAW to hype up his new DVD?

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Global Moderator
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #56 on: 11 September 2009, 12:01:05 AM »
Quote from: Axel;34280

Is this supposed to be funny?

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #57 on: 11 September 2009, 01:11:01 AM »

That's painful, when you make a joke like that I feel like God has slapped me across the face.

Do you know what bothers me? Evan Bourne recently beat Chris Masters on Superstars yet they seem to be trying to give Masters a push yet Bourne couldn't get a clean win over Chavo who has been heavily buried for the past few months.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #58 on: 11 September 2009, 01:22:11 AM »
Is TNA still recruiting at a retirement home?

I guess antiques roadshow and knitting programs are your kind of thing after a day at work.

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #59 on: 16 September 2009, 10:21:55 PM »
Involves something that takes place on this friday's episode of Smackdown

Spoiler:
Quote from: wrestlingnewsworld.com
The reason for The Great Khali injury angle at last night's SmackDown taping in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada is because he will be taking time off to undergo knee surgery. No further details are available at this time but Khali has been working with knee problems for the past several months.

Starts the Prax suicide watch