Author Topic: Piracy Discussion  (Read 1354 times)

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
Piracy Discussion
« on: 15 August 2012, 02:04:21 PM »
well I can probably watch it but I will not because morally supporting these sites that upload these videos is wrong.

Pfft nahhh

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
Re: Piracy Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2012, 03:25:09 PM »
I didn't read because I didn't want to hear the details, I still haven't watched it. I have to go to my mom's to watch Monday Night Raw. It is the only show I can't watch at home, well I can probably watch it but I will not because morally supporting these sites that upload these videos is wrong.

From my perspective, watching it on someone else's cable and not paying for the channel yourself is essentially the same thing as pirating.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline J.D

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2012, 05:03:12 PM »
From the perspective of a man in the UK when the government has fucked everything up to the point where there is a recession and jobs just don't pay well enough to finance how expensive things are then watching films and tv shows online as opposed to paying isn't criminal, it's sensible.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2012, 05:41:17 PM »
From the perspective of a man in the UK when the government has fucked everything up to the point where there is a recession and jobs just don't pay well enough to finance how expensive things are then watching films and tv shows online as opposed to paying isn't criminal, it's sensible.

I don't agree with this. It still amounts to stealing. If you can't afford it you don't have to watch it. I only pirate shows on channels I already have or channels that aren't available to me in my cable package.

Offline J.D

« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
I don't download them though I stream them. Someone has already put the content out there so I watch it. The majority of people do that. You can take a moral high ground and not do that but who are you really kidding? Do you think the creators of the show are ever going to come and thank you for paying for their show? People don't get rich throwing money away and if the content's there why not watch it for free? 
As for stealing don't make me laugh, the amount of money my family pays for fucking wankers who have six kids and don't get a job is ridiculous. All that money would make up for a hell of a lot more than a tv series. So if streaming a show makes me a thief then so be it. By that logic the entire government, hell the entire world are thieves. Which is true.
I give to charity every month though so my conscience is clean  :giggle
« Last Edit: 15 August 2012, 08:08:21 PM by J.D »

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2012, 08:26:11 PM »
I don't download them though I stream them. Someone has already put the content out there so I watch it. The majority of people do that. You can take a moral high ground and not do that but who are you really kidding? Do you think the creators of the show are ever going to come and thank you for paying for their show? People don't get rich throwing money away and if the content's there why not watch it for free? 
As for stealing don't make me laugh, the amount of money my family pays for fucking wankers who have six kids and don't get a job is ridiculous. All that money would make up for a hell of a lot more than a tv series. So if streaming a show makes me a thief then so be it. By that logic the entire government, hell the entire world are thieves. Which is true.

Downloading, streaming, same thing. And I'm not taking any sort of mortal high ground, I'm just stating my opinion. I torrent and stream just like anyone else. We all have our ways of justifying it, mine is that i pay for cable, I support as many shows and movies as I can on DVD and Bluray, I have Netflix and everything else, if, through all of that, I still can't get access to a certain show in a timely fashion then I'll torrent.

But justifying streaming and torrenting by saying that your government is incompetent or by saying "rich people be rich" is ridiculous. It's not Hollywood's fault your poor. You're not going to steal a nicer car than the one you have just because you're poor and car companies have a lot of money. You're not going to take the gourmet expensive versions of things at the supermarket and pay for the cheaper versions just cause the companies make a lot of money anyway, I don't understand why this is any different? The TV and movie industries have problems, that much I know, but I don't understand what led to this sense of entitlement among viewers. Not only do you want their shows to be offered to you for free on your terms, you want them to thank for watching as well. It's absurd.

Offline J.D

« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2012, 08:42:14 PM »

Downloading, streaming, same thing. And I'm not taking any sort of mortal high ground, I'm just stating my opinion. I torrent and stream just like anyone else. We all have our ways of justifying it, mine is that i pay for cable, I support as many shows and movies as I can on DVD and Bluray, I have Netflix and everything else, if, through all of that, I still can't get access to a certain show in a timely fashion then I'll torrent.

But justifying streaming and torrenting by saying that your government is incompetent or by saying "rich people be rich" is ridiculous. It's not Hollywood's fault your poor. You're not going to steal a nicer car than the one you have just because you're poor and car companies have a lot of money. You're not going to take the gourmet expensive versions of things at the supermarket and pay for the cheaper versions just cause the companies make a lot of money anyway, I don't understand why this is any different? The TV and movie industries have problems, that much I know, but I don't understand what led to this sense of entitlement among viewers. Not only do you want their shows to be offered to you for free on your terms, you want them to thank for watching as well. It's absurd.

I'm not justifying it by saying I'm poor. In fact I'm pretty well off for a guy fresh out of Uni. If I was extremely rich I'd still do it. And you justifying it by saying you pay for some cable shows unless you can't get access is really no different to anything I said. Same logic. In fact I don't justify it in general as I don't give a shit about it, when it comes to streaming then fuck paying. Simple as that. If I can spend the money I save on a holiday or something else then I consider myself practical with money.
And before you ask I wouldn't steal a car or anything else for that matter. But streaming a show I would. I accept that you see them both as stealing but pretty much everyone I know does the same thing as me. My friend's sixty year old Mother was streaming Downton Abbey the other day, is she a car jacker? C'mon.

Offline nend

« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2012, 03:15:09 AM »
I didn't read because I didn't want to hear the details, I still haven't watched it. I have to go to my mom's to watch Monday Night Raw. It is the only show I can't watch at home, well I can probably watch it but I will not because morally supporting these sites that upload these videos is wrong.

From my perspective, watching it on someone else's cable and not paying for the channel yourself is essentially the same thing as pirating.

I don't see how that is. So you never have sat down and watched TV at a friends or relatives house or do you just sit there in the corner and cover your eyes when the TV is on?

I don't pay for cable or satellite, I do pay for different streaming medias over the internet via it be Netflix, Hulu or any other service. The problem here is USA has an contract with WWE about RAW being displayed on anything else.

As for the satellite and cable thing, it isn't for me. I want to support innovation and those dinosaurs deserve to be put to rest. The only thing cable is good for is piping internet through. :D
« Last Edit: 16 August 2012, 03:19:13 AM by nend »

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2012, 06:43:01 AM »

I'm not justifying it by saying I'm poor. In fact I'm pretty well off for a guy fresh out of Uni. If I was extremely rich I'd still do it. And you justifying it by saying you pay for some cable shows unless you can't get access is really no different to anything I said. Same logic. In fact I don't justify it in general as I don't give a shit about it, when it comes to streaming then fuck paying. Simple as that. If I can spend the money I save on a holiday or something else then I consider myself practical with money.
And before you ask I wouldn't steal a car or anything else for that matter. But streaming a show I would. I accept that you see them both as stealing but pretty much everyone I know does the same thing as me. My friend's sixty year old Mother was streaming Downton Abbey the other day, is she a car jacker? C'mon.

It doesn't matter. It's still stealing something that a lot of people worked really hard on to make. It's just that you steal TV and movies because it's easy. That's implying that if stealing cars and robbing banks was easy, then you'd do that too, and that' terribly disheartening to hear. How easy the internet has made things for us is destroying our society.

I think pirating is justified in some situations, but your excuse is basically just "fuck it I want to do it", and I don't understand that. I don't see how my situation is at all the same. I have an expensive cable package, I have a wall full of DVDs and Blurays, I have a Netflix subscription and cable companies still decide to make it difficult for me to watch the shows I like. I feel that makes sense as as much of my money as possible pretty much goes to them in the first place.

Offline J.D

« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2012, 09:25:28 AM »
Let me put it this way. If there were two friends and one lends the other a DVD he enjoyed is the other committing piracy and theft because he watched something without paying for it?
What if the guy lends it to six other people?