Author Topic: Vancouver Olympics  (Read 2432 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
Vancouver Olympics
« on: 12 February 2010, 02:39:16 PM »
Anyone going to watch? I'm really interested in the hockey tournament (obviously), but that's about it. That and to see who lights the flame, but that's only because that interests me as a Canadian.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline narcolepsy

Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2010, 05:44:51 PM »
I always watch the Olympics, Summer or Winter, mostly because I'm addicted to sports and the last few Olympics have basically been on TV 24 hours a day.  However, here in the US, it just feels like theres not as much buzz for the Olympics as in the past.  I'm not sure if its due to it just being Winter sports, but in 2006 in Torino/Turin I was still in school and don't remember that as much as 2002 in Salt Lake City.  Maybe its due to the fact that we just got dumped on with 2 feet of snow whereas Vancouver has almost nothing...lol.  Not a big winter sports fan, but I'm sure I'll check into Hockey, Curling (which does surprisingly well here in the US on tv), speed skating, distance skiing, and some snowboarding.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2010, 06:25:26 PM »
The winter olympics aren't nearly as popular as the summer olympics. For starters there are much fewer countries that participate, and fewer events too. For me it's only hockey that really interests me, but I'll watch as much as I can.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2010, 08:43:01 PM »
So, 30 people have already been busted for drugs, and one German luger is dead, and they haven't even done the opening ceremonies yet... this might turn out to be the biggest fail olympics ever.

Offline narcolepsy

Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2010, 08:49:06 PM »
This is the 2nd olympics in a row that someone has died on the first day, although only this one was actually in competition.  In Beijing, a "crazed" local murdered the father-in-law of the US Head Volleyball coach.  Sad news that kills the spirit of the games, but how do you but steel beams directly next to one of the fastest luge courses in the world?  They need to put up netting or something that might actually help.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2010, 12:16:37 AM »
Quote from: Hollywood Prax;38054
So, 30 people have already been busted for drugs, and one German luger is dead, and they haven't even done the opening ceremonies yet... this might turn out to be the biggest fail olympics ever.

Yea, and an epic fail during the opening ceremonies. Gretzky looked very annoyed over the whole situation.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2010, 03:13:25 PM »
So far they've been pretty good despite a few snafus. The US was crazy yesterday, I think they picked up 5 medals in one day to take the lead with 14 medals (6 gold). Canada's 4th with 6 medals (2 gold) but that'll go up with curling, hockey, speed skating, etc. It's also my first olympics in HD so that's been a highlight for me. The only thing that sucks is some pretty good hockey games starting at 12AM eastern time...

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2010, 08:39:28 PM »
I'm not interested in them. they don't have the sports that i like baseball,football,basketball,nascar. not that any of those are winter style events i was just stating why im not really interested.

I wish i could get into hockey though, maybe if i had a team to root for in alabama i could but as it stands i just feel no connection to it and when i watch it i just get easily bored.

Offline narcolepsy

Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2010, 04:02:07 AM »
So what was it you were saying about USA struggling with the Swiss yesterday, Prax? :ace

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2010, 03:07:59 PM »
Quote from: narcolepsy;38255
So what was it you were saying about USA struggling with the Swiss yesterday, Prax? :ace

Oh don't worry, I'm not the biggest fan of Team Canada either. I mean, I'll cheer for them, of course, but they've been SEVERELY overhyped going into these games along with the Russians. I'm not surprised they had trouble with the Swiss either. First of all it's the team that shut them out and eliminated them in 2006, and they have a fantastic goalie in Jonas Hiller, who plays with the Ducks.  No doubt though, last night was full of fail for team Canada, and they need to get their act together.

Offline Ted Gram

Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #10 on: 21 February 2010, 04:00:11 AM »
US hockey is looking fantastic now...Im guessing at least silver.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #11 on: 21 February 2010, 04:35:21 AM »
Quote from: Ted Gram;38364
US hockey is looking fantastic now...Im guessing at least silver.

No offense but there's little to no chance they make the gold medal game. They're a poorly built team, little star power, overrated coach, and there's way too much competition. They'll be lucky to even make the bronze game.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #12 on: 21 February 2010, 04:38:56 AM »
Unlike the European teams the USA plays team hockey not the European selfish style bullshit. I can see a medal in there future..... Do I see gold? No.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline narcolepsy

Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2010, 05:31:42 AM »
We'll know a lot more after the US-Canada game tomorrow because the winner of this game will get a bye into the quarterfinals (the loser still might get the 4th seed bye unless they give it to Russia or the Sweden-Finland loser).  If the US can just put back to back (vs. Canada & the quarterfinals) quality games together they will have made it to the medal round and one win from there puts them on the podium.  The US was really shaky against the Swiss in the first game struggling to find the net early, but the following two games for Switzerland proved they were no pushovers hanging in till a shootout against Canada and an exciting 5-4 game with Norway, a team that lost a combined 14 to 1 against US & Canada.  Hopefully now that they've had a few days off and gotten some practices in they will be better prepared for the home stretch of the tournament.

BTW, how about this "own the podium" program Canada threw cash at?  8 total medals at the half way point?  At least China held up their end of the bargain at the Beijing games.  As one US Olympian stated, "They can take the thing [podium] home, we're just renting it for the month."

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
Vancouver Olympics
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2010, 02:06:17 PM »
Quote from: narcolepsy;38370
We'll know a lot more after the US-Canada game tomorrow because the winner of this game will get a bye into the quarterfinals (the loser still might get the 4th seed bye unless they give it to Russia or the Sweden-Finland loser).  If the US can just put back to back (vs. Canada & the quarterfinals) quality games together they will have made it to the medal round and one win from there puts them on the podium.  The US was really shaky against the Swiss in the first game struggling to find the net early, but the following two games for Switzerland proved they were no pushovers hanging in till a shootout against Canada and an exciting 5-4 game with Norway, a team that lost a combined 14 to 1 against US & Canada.  Hopefully now that they've had a few days off and gotten some practices in they will be better prepared for the home stretch of the tournament.

BTW, how about this "own the podium" program Canada threw cash at?  8 total medals at the half way point?  At least China held up their end of the bargain at the Beijing games.  As one US Olympian stated, "They can take the thing [podium] home, we're just renting it for the month."

I'm so sick of people bashing Canada's medal count.. We're a country of 30 million people and we're top 4 in the medal race. That makes one of the best countries in medals-per-capita. Technically, the US should be getting 10 times more medals than Canada. Nevermind that there's a considerable number of medals coming Canada's way in the next few days, with curling, hockey, just to name two events.

And by the way, the US only has 2 more gold medals than Canada does.

At the same time though, the Canadian athletes have been hyped up way too much... big disappointment yesterday in short track speed skating and we'll probably be disappointed in hockey.

But the US team isn't good enough to beat the other powerhouses IMO. I think tonight's game is pretty even, but can they beat Sweden? Finland? Russia? even the Czecks or Slovaks?  And I don't buy that everyone else in the world plays a selfish game. Russia does, but other than that these are true competitors who want to win. USA's been guilty of selfish play too. Erik Johnson's been trying to pinch in way too much and guys like Bobby Ryan and a few others have been going for individual plays that hurt them in the game against the Swiss.

But I should bite my tongue, because I don't think Canada has a chance to do much better. I really hope I'm wrong though.