Author Topic: The Beijing Olympics = Farce  (Read 622 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
The Beijing Olympics = Farce
« on: 5 August 2008, 02:30:30 PM »
RANT TIME!!

Ok so I'm certainly not against developing countries getting Olympic games, even though there are many reasons against it, and i'm not against a country like China getting them in order to prove to the world that they're not as bad as people make them out to be in terms of pollution, human rights, living conditions and all that jazz, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

I don't think I've watched a single news broadcast in the last few weeks that hasn't had a negative story about China. The air pollution is almost unbearable, police officers getting murdered, demonstrations, new details about the shadiness surrounding the vote... it just never ends and it's always something different.

Yet somehow the country with probably the most internal AND external problems in the entire globe manages to get the most prestigious sporting event in the world, over a lot of other deserving nations... why? Probably because the IOC members were bribes, and as a political statement. Well it's backfiring.

And it's going to get to the point where an athlete or reporter is going to die. And then everyone will regret it. It's inevitable. Something really bad is going to happen.

And what pisses me off the most is that the media is downplaying all the bad stuff that's happening over there because they want to focus their attention on their own athletes. The other day 16 police offers died when two crazy people drove a dump truck into a crowd of them while they were doing morning exercises, injuring 16 more.

In Canada, even if 1 police officer dies, it's in the news for MONTHS. And forget the fact that the population is almost 100 fold, that's a big deal, if you have muslin extremists killing police officers close to an Olympic city only days before the opening ceremonies. Sure there's 100,000 officers as security in Beijing, but they can't keep an eye on every single square foot of the city.

Something bad is going to happen, and EVERYONE is going to regret this.

End Rant.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline The Franchise

• The One True Breed.
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2008, 12:47:36 PM »
I completely agree with you man. Especially with all the shit about Russia/Georgia happening at the same time. If it's supposed to be about global community coming together then why the hell do we have countries bombing the shit out of each other at the same time?? I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian national anthem is booed at the olympics now.

Offline J2M

• Ballin'
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2008, 12:59:28 PM »
My biggest thing against China atm is the way they can play with mother nature and change the weather using bombs. I think it's freaky and people just shouldn't be messing with mother nature, fullstop.

Anyway I agree with Prax but I am liking the events thus far.

Maryse \'fucking\' Quellet

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2008, 04:21:55 PM »
There is no doubt the IOC was bribed by China to get the Olympics there. The IOC is about as crooked as a straighline drawn by someone with a lazy eye.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2008, 04:52:46 PM »
Well now that I've had a chance to see a few days of these Olympics I have to say I'm damn impressed. The Chinese government is not to be trusted for what Dylan was saying, as well as the story that just came out saying they staged some of the fireworks, that they were just 3-D images for TV viewers. Obviously they want to come out of this thing looking really good so they're going to do their best to cover up any **** ups.

But like I said I'm impressed with everything so far, but something bad's gonna happen. Beijing wasn't ready for this and they're going ot suffer the consequences, at least financially, for years.

Offline The Franchise

• The One True Breed.
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2008, 07:57:42 PM »
PS. Why the need also for massive overexpensive stadiums which will be used once every blue moon?? Surely it could have been better spent on ethical projects plus never mind the fact that these stadiums are never going to pay for themselves.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2008, 08:09:51 PM »
Quote from: The Franchise;12693
PS. Why the need also for massive overexpensive stadiums which will be used once every blue moon?? Surely it could have been better spent on ethical projects plus never mind the fact that these stadiums are never going to pay for themselves.

I guess you don't, but there's such a prestige involved with the Olympics that really leaves a mark on the world. Everyone remembers the Olympic games, and every time the new city upstages the last one. Billions of people watch them and almost every country in the world participates. Sports are so important to every country, it's just how it is.

I know where you're coming from, Montreal just finished paying for the Olympics held here, and they happened 32 years ago. It was a lot of money wasted but it also made Montreal known as one of the best and most multi-cultural cities in the world, along with our culture, our festivals and Expo-67. So despite the financial disaster than an Olympic games can be, there's a lot of stuff that comes VERY close to outweighing the financials of it.

But Beijing and China just weren't ready.