Author Topic: TNA Dropping PPVs from Schedule  (Read 1741 times)

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
TNA Dropping PPVs from Schedule
« on: 1 December 2012, 06:52:12 PM »
According to the Wrestling Observer, TNA will be cutting down on the amount of pay-per-views in 2013, as a result of Lockdown being moved from April to March. This shift will put Lockdown, TNA's third biggest event after Slammiversary and Bound for Glory, dead in the heat of WWE's WrestleMania build-up.

The February Against All Odds pay-per-view is being removed from the schedule, so there will be a large time to build into Lockdown after Genesis in January. The same goes for No Surrender, in order to create a distance between Hardcore Justice and October's Bound for Glory pay-per-view.

TNA President Dixie Carter is reportedly looking to improve quality, rather than quantity, and has been looking to cut back on the amount of pay-per-views. The hope is that by creating a longer distance before two of their major shows, it will increase buys enough to cover for the loss of the two smaller scale events filmed at the Impact Zone in Orlando, Florida.

This makes so much sense. I know WWE makes money with the number of PPVs it has but if they just dropped one or two the quality would be so much better and the stakes higher. Of course TNA botches it by putting one like 2-3 weeks before Wrestlemania..

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
Re: TNA Dropping PPVs from Schedule
« Reply #1 on: 1 December 2012, 10:43:07 PM »
Cutting the PPV's is a great idea which i think WWE should also do. Moving your 3rd biggest PPV before the biggest wrestling PPV in general is a terrible idea. People sometimes only order one PPV a month and if they have to choose im sure 80% of the people are going with Mania.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #2 on: 2 December 2012, 03:27:07 AM »
They didn't really move lockdown  much at all. it's always been the PPV that's right by wrestlemania. now they SHOULD move it. maybe have it in February since they already have their other 2 big PPV's in June and October.

This also makes sense since TNA doesn't usually have good PPV buys.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #3 on: 2 December 2012, 09:24:14 PM »
Maybe they didn't want the cage match PPV to be in the same month as the Elimination Chamber PPV. And they still won't have PPV buys, this will just cut down their expenses.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #4 on: 2 December 2012, 10:45:38 PM »
Good point. I'm trying to think of a month that would be best for them to move it to but am coming up blank. Anything in between june and october is too close to their other 2 big PPVs. then you can't do them right before or after. I guess January but then you're going up against the royal rumble which is a pretty huge PPV in its self.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #5 on: 3 December 2012, 06:50:46 PM »
Mid-to-late April is probably best. Then move the June PPV to July maybe and you're set.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 3 December 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Well i don't think the June PPV can be moved being it's called Slammiversary and it's TNA's anniversary show which is what makes it one of the big 3 for them.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #7 on: 3 December 2012, 09:20:30 PM »
Good point :P

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2013, 01:16:33 AM »
In a press release issued earlier by TNA Wrestling, the company announced that it plans to hold only 4 PPV events in 2013. The following is an excerpt from the press release:

"The 52 annual episodes of Impact Wrestling will lead to four, epic pay-per-view events commencing with Genesis January 13, Lockdown March 10, Slammiversary June 9, and Bound For Glory October 13."

Said TNA President Dixie Carter of the PPV format change, "The Pay-Per-View industry has changed so much in the last decade. The traditional Pay-Per-View wrestling model needed to evolve and we believe this strategy will positively impact not only the Pay-Per-View events but the weekly television programming as well."

Good move, although having PPVs in the middle of Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania builds is risky.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2013, 09:35:23 AM »
I say drop Genesis and add Destination X. Especially since they just established the new thing where whoever is the X-D Champ at that PPV gets a TNA title match. I'm sure they will have a special Impact for that now but I'd rather them have an X-Division PPV than Genesis which is pretty throw away.