Author Topic: Top 10 of 2012  (Read 2269 times)

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
Re: Top 10 of 2012
« Reply #15 on: 30 August 2012, 03:58:32 PM »
Weird that I rewatched TDKR and The Avengers online and enjoyed The Avengers more  :confused:
I think it holds up to a repeat viewing better and TDKR flaws can be seen more on a rewatch. Still a fucking good film but I preferred it on initial viewing.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #16 on: 30 August 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
I saw both of them twice and enjoyed both the same amount the second time. Avengers is a popcorn blockbuster that's sort of easy watching, TDKR is a much darker and deeper film. I don't think the flaws manifested themselves anymore, frankly the second time I caught onto more plot points than I did the first time.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #17 on: 31 August 2012, 12:05:25 AM »
Weird that I rewatched TDKR and The Avengers online and enjoyed The Avengers more  :confused:
I think it holds up to a repeat viewing better and TDKR flaws can be seen more on a rewatch. Still a fucking good film but I preferred it on initial viewing.
Yeah I think I'll wait a while to rewatch TDKR, but I wouldn't rate the avengers higher. That film just plays out like every other marvel film, kind of enjoyable but didn't really achieve anything new. TDKR is its own film, even if it has its flaws. I think the way they bitched Bane out a bit was weak, like the way they kind of just forget how much he has exploited from Bruce before taking him down. I know Batman had to come back and "rise", but I feel like some of the things Bane achieved before taking down the Bat, such as taking wayne industries armory of tanks, didn't really have the impact it should have. Despite saying all that though, it doesn't take away from the general feeling of doubting the hero of a superhero film, at one point almost making you believe he is dead.  The point of the film is still there though, its original and had me hooked and I know for a fact that The Avengers will never top that.

Anyway, from what I can remember, these are the films I have watched, I'll categorise appropriately:

Thoroughly Recommend
The Dark Knight Rises - Brilliantly dark and achieves the "fall to rise" theme to a point of personal feeling. Excellent film.
The Descendents - Positive feel good film, I don't think its the directors best film, nor do I feel its anything groundbreaking, its just a solid film that I would happily watch again.
The Imposter - Great film on identity and trust, possible film of the year candidate imo.
Searching For Sugar Man - Interesting story about a musician who should have made it, plus it was a gateway to finding this music which gives it extra props, the documentary is well made and has a positive feel good vibe to it.

Good Popcorn Flicks
The Amazing Spiderman - Better then the other two Spiderman films, had some good fight scenes and generally fun. Excited about where they take these films.
Prometheus - Offers the dark horror elements effectively, but the lack of depth, and generally stupidity of the writing for the characters lets the film down.

Average at best
The Avengers - Typical Marvel action film, has its funny moments and some of the action is good, but its nothing groundbreaking.
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Has a few funny moments and worth watching on TV, but nothing special.
The Expendables 2 - Some fun action sequences and good for nostalgic value for just seeing the stars but doesn't build on the nostalgia for the full blown 80's/90's action flick.
The Iron Lady - A good performance by Meryl Streep and a brief history lesson on Britain, otherwise its a film about politics, a subject matter I absolutely hate.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2012, 12:08:47 AM by chappers »

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #18 on: 31 August 2012, 01:33:36 AM »
I would say TDKR is overall better than the Avengers but I think the latter held up to a repeat viewing more successfully. Rises is more of an epic see it once and love it type film.

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
« Reply #19 on: 31 August 2012, 04:49:40 AM »
Avengers is one of the best action films of all time. Just the thought of five quality movies being made just to lead up into the one movie is pretty insane and Marvel pulled it off with flying colors. Joss Whedon knocked it out of the park. The attention to detail he put into this movie was pretty great.

You have to understand my expectations for this movie were incredibly high and they were met to the fullest.