Author Topic: Could Kofi Kingston be the next Santino?  (Read 702 times)

Offline J2M

• Ballin'
Could Kofi Kingston be the next Santino?
« on: 10 July 2008, 02:12:17 PM »
I hate to say it but Kofi is a lot like Santino in a way. He has all the ingrediants of a fan backlash as did Santino did.

• Pre-mature push
  • Pre-mature title reign
  • Signature moves and taunts that after a while will become incredibly annoying to watch over and over.
I do like Kofi but this is exactly what had happened to Santino Marella when he came to Raw. After a while Kofi will be getting random Kofi sucks chants, a monster heel will eventually come along and take the title off him and then he'll turn heel and go against America. That's what I think is coming our way as he has everything Santino did. But maybe his image will change that.

Maryse \'fucking\' Quellet

Offline Rhymin' Greiman

• Super Duper Moderator
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Kane, Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Randy Orton, Bryan Danielson, The Miz, and RVD
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2008, 02:32:07 PM »
I could see Kofi getting boring after a few months if he's pushed too quickly but right now I think Vince is just giving him a test run to see how well he's received by the fans as their champ.  So far, so good if you ask me.  He just needs more mic time at the moment.

Santino is pure gold on the mic, Kofi isn't.

Offline Da Vinci

« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2008, 02:34:11 PM »
I don't think Kofi will become another Santino. Santino's natural charisma on the mic will always have leaned towards a heel role.  He is very good at working a crowd is Santino.

While Kofi could get boring, he just needs to shake things up a little, and handle the pressure of been a IC champ so soon
"Its slutty lips you wish your girlfriend had. Its vampire teeth you wish you had, and its ****ing massive so everyone can see what ur about."

Offline J2M

• Ballin'
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2008, 02:43:38 PM »
I wasn't particularly talking about the mic skills but yes, Santino's charisma did lean towards a heel role but what maybe someone else who could best describle Kofi would be John Cena. He is loved for a while but then becomes hated by some and loved by others. I think if Kofi can get through with the fans and have a good title reign that he won't be in this case but otherwise I think he is a chance of it.

Offline Da Vinci

« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2008, 02:48:22 PM »
I think Santino is on, perhaps the longest losing streak in wwe history (ok maybe not that long, but when did he last win?!) because he didnt manage to get over and creative don't really have much for him, but they are pretty high on his mic skills. He could turn into a massive heel if they let him win a few.

But with Kofi, if he can get continue to get over and keep the level of overness he gets, he can turn into another Cena type guy. I am pretty sure that if you went upto him and gave him that option, he would rip your arm out of your socket
"Its slutty lips you wish your girlfriend had. Its vampire teeth you wish you had, and its ****ing massive so everyone can see what ur about."

Offline J2M

• Ballin'
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2008, 02:56:05 PM »
I believe with Santino, yes he is pretty much only there cause of his mic skills but if he got some work done with his in-ring abilities and possibly and new attire that he could be a major heel in the WWE and an actual IC Contender. Kofi can edge away to be like Santino because of his in-ring abilities but if you remember Shelton too was like this. He was hot for a bit then he died down. That could happen but if Kofi keeps getting over then this won't be the case.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2008, 04:23:08 PM »
I would call Kofi more like the next John Cena as opposed to the next Santino. it seems obvious they want to push this guy to the stars, and he can certainly handle it in my opinion. I could imagine a fan backlash against him, but he'll always have his fans. He doesn't have a hateable personality really.

Either way I think it's too early to say the fans are going to start hating him. So far he hasn't had that problem.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2008, 05:54:57 PM »
Well i don't remember santion doing ANY moves or taunts for that matter.lol. i think he might have done a DDT to win one match but im not sure.

I don't see Kofi turning heel anytime soon though. but what you said could very well happen. but as long as the kids like him then he will be in good shape.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2008, 10:13:11 PM »
Kofi could become a badass heel. I don't like the fact he is a babyface Jamacian.... I think it would be awesome if he played him his real country being from Ghana.... But if he did that he could be an African Warlord. THink of all the heat that would draw a as a heel. He could get a couple of big bodyguards. [It would be quite the gimmick.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline WWEFANbOy

« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2008, 12:47:12 AM »
well, wat taunts does Santino have? i mean really, 1, his music is annoying as hell and his accent is terrible, now the accent of kofi, thats cool, music kinda, but I agree with the title reign and push, but Santino is too much of a litle B**** and Kofi is too athletic and liked

Offline J2M

• Ballin'
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2008, 03:21:19 AM »
Santino doesn't have a bad accent? It's an awesome Italian accent, part the reason he's so good on the mic playing his character. Kofi will never become like that on the mic if he continues playing this Jamacian babyface character. I too would like to see what Cannon stated him playing a character from his own country being Ghana.

Offline firewall316

« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2008, 06:34:20 AM »
I don't see him becoming like Santino. I agree with Cannon too. I do think he would be a badass heel. And he also needs more mic time. I haven't really seen him do any promos or anything. But I never watched ECW too much until a few weeks ago.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2008, 08:54:24 AM »
Quote from: Mr.Cannon;5921
Kofi could become a badass heel. I don't like the fact he is a babyface Jamacian.... I think it would be awesome if he played him his real country being from Ghana.... But if he did that he could be an African Warlord. THink of all the heat that would draw a as a heel. He could get a couple of big bodyguards. [It would be quite the gimmick.

WWE could hire prince nana as his manager. THE EMBASSY FOREVER!

On a side not does anyone know what happened to nana?

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2008, 01:41:56 PM »
I'm not as high on Kingston as the majority here. I mean the guy is alright, but I haven't seen anything special in him as of yet. I don't think he is going to up like Santino though. The difference between him and Santino winning the I.C. title is that we really didn't get a chance to see who Santino was. He was just some "fan" brought out of the audience and was immediatley pushed to win the I.C. title and that's why fans started to hate on him.

Kofi does something better than Santino and that is wrestle. I haven't seen him on the mic yet so I can't give you my opinion on that one.
"This is my welcome!"
Shame on TNA for letting go one of the best female wrestlers in the world.

Offline J2M

• Ballin'
« Reply #14 on: 11 July 2008, 03:04:41 PM »
I have seen Kofi cut a promo, it's not that great and that's what Santino has that he hasn't. But I get where you are coming from when you say he was built up as Santino wasn't and was just brought in.