Author Topic: Smackdown 8-8-2008 Results & Discussion  (Read 991 times)

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
Smackdown 8-8-2008 Results & Discussion
« on: 6 August 2008, 04:26:28 AM »
WWE taped this week's edition of SmackDown from the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. Special thanks to Wrestling News World readers Jules Michaels, AJ Spencer, Dennis Spencer and Charles Petrus for text-messaging the following results. If you are attending a WWE event in the near future and would be interested in assisting us with live coverage, please email me your name, the name/date of the show, and your mobile number by clicking here.

* A WrestleMania XXIV video package is shown.

Dark Match:
* Ron Killings b. Kenny Dykstra
- Killings (with the crowd behind him) gets the win with an axe kick in 5:00.

SmackDown:
* Jim Ross is out with Tazz to commentate.

* A video package of Edge & Foley from last week is shown.

* Maryse, Victoria, & Natalya b. Michelle McCool, Cherry, & Maria
- All six are dressed for Olympic events. Maria taps to Natalya's sharpshooter at 2:33.

* Backstage, La Familia finds Bam Neely laid out with a black rose on top of him. They're confused.

* Curt Hawkins & Zack Ryder b. Jimmy Wang Yang & Shannon Moore
- Moore gets pinned after a double DDT at 4:19.

* Jeff Hardy vs. MVP is announced for SummerSlam.

* Lena Yada interviews MVP backstage about Jeff Hardy.

* Jeff Hardy vs. Shelton Benjamin
- The crowd is really into this match. Shelton works hard on Jeff's left knee dominating most of the match. Jeff turns things around. He continues to work Shelton over and hits Twist of Fate followed by a Swanton Bomb. Jeff goes for the pin and MVP comes running in and lays him out with a boot forcing the match to end in DQ at 15:49.

* Indian Broken Glass Arm-Wrestling Contest:
Khali w/Ranjin Singh b. Triple H
Singh translates for Khali. Hunter makes fun of him and then says he'll break Khali's legs at SummerSlam. They start the contest... Khali gets the early advantage. Triple H comes back. Khali then headbutts Triple H and goes for the two hand chokeslam. Triple H reverses and goes for the pedigree. Khali locks on the Vice Grip. Triple H tries to fight but goes down. Khali stands tall. Two refs come out and help Hunter to the back.

* Backstage, Curt Hawkins is shown laid out in the locker room with a black rose on him.

* A Ron Killings vignette is shown.

* Chavo Guerrero and Vickie think that Edge may be responsible for laying people out tonight backstage. At some point Zack Ryder was also knocked out.

* Vladimir Kozlov b. Jesse w/Festus
- After a short promo in Russian, Kozlov pins Jessee in about a minute after blocking his crossbody.

* The Guerreros do more talking in the office. Vickie crushes a black rose in her hand.

* Brian Kendrick w/Ezekiel b. Super Crazy
- Kendrick pins Super Crazy after hitting The Kendrick at 4:32. Ezekiel put Super Crazy in a torture rack after the match.

* Edge joins the Guerreros in the office. Vickie is pissed. Edge sucks up to her and calls for unity.

* Edge, Chavo, and Vickie all come out to the ring to call out The Undertaker. Both Edge and Chavo have chairs. Edge turns on Chavo and gives him a one man con
"This is my welcome!"
Shame on TNA for letting go one of the best female wrestlers in the world.

Offline Cannon

• Your mom's boyfriend.
« Reply #1 on: 6 August 2008, 04:37:15 AM »
Tazz with JR... Foreshadowing for the future? It's possible because they had Matt Striker with Todd Grisham on ECW. So it sure looks like we might be getting a taste of the commentating future for SD! and ECW.

TAG TEAM EXCELLENCE!

Offline Oly J

Smackdown's conclusion this week
« Reply #2 on: 9 August 2008, 07:52:45 AM »
I am of course referring to the part at the end when Edge went insane in a "reminded me of Jack Nickleson in The Shining" kinda way....I just have to ask....did anyone else love that part of the show as much as I did? I mean it was just f**king priceless!!! I've always been a big Edge fan but this has got to be my favorite Edge moment ever!! when he taunted Vickie and then tipped her out of the chair I was applauding my TV set!

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
« Reply #3 on: 9 August 2008, 08:07:46 AM »
Quote from: Oly J;12171
I am of course referring to the part at the end when Edge went insane in a "reminded me of Jack Nickleson in The Shining" kinda way....I just have to ask....did anyone else love that part of the show as much as I did? I mean it was just f**king priceless!!! I've always been a big Edge fan but this has got to be my favorite Edge moment ever!! when he taunted Vickie and then tipped her out of the chair I was applauding my TV set!

All I have to say is it's about friggin time. Although I was happy about Edge going Ape-shit on Vickie and Chavo, there was something about the whole thing that I disliked and that was when the camera would cut to vickie during the chair shots. I'm aware that SD! is PG but I just didn't like it at all. And if I'm going to continue to watch the WWE, I mine as well get used to it since they are aiming for the whole product to be PG.
"This is my welcome!"

Offline Oly J

« Reply #4 on: 9 August 2008, 08:14:42 AM »

All I have to say is it's about friggin time. Although I was happy about Edge going Ape-shit on Vickie and Chavo, there was something about the whole thing that I disliked and that was when the camera would cut to vickie during the chair shots. I'm aware that SD! is PG but I just didn't like it at all.

that's weird....I remember seeing the chair shots clearly...it cut to Vickie right after them but not at the time of the actual chair shots....but still I am so glad I didn't read any spoilers....after seeing how good Smackdown can be without spoilers I'm never reading one again!

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
« Reply #5 on: 9 August 2008, 08:16:12 AM »
Quote from: Oly J;12173
that's weird....I remember seeing the chair shots clearly...it cut to Vickie right after them but not at the time of the actual chair shots....but still I am so glad I didn't read any spoilers....after seeing how good Smackdown can be without spoilers I'm never reading one again!

Well I watched it on youtube because I missed the ending on TV earlier. So maybe it could of been that.
"This is my welcome!"

Offline Oly J

« Reply #6 on: 9 August 2008, 08:24:18 AM »
Well I watched it on youtube because I missed the ending on TV earlier. So maybe it could of been that.

yeah probably...but still I think this was the best Smackdown in a very long time...all except the Vladamir Koslov match which I didn't like much....also did anyone else notice the pop Shannon Moore got in his match?...I always wanted WWE to push him (don't ask me why) and with that kinda reaction if it keeps up I think they might....also it's good to see Super Crazy being used again

Offline Mini Kong

• Ari Gold is GOD!!
« Reply #7 on: 9 August 2008, 08:26:55 AM »
Quote from: Oly J;12176
yeah probably...but still I think this was the best Smackdown in a very long time...all except the Vladamir Koslov match which I didn't like much....also did anyone else notice the pop Shannon Moore got in his match?...I always wanted WWE to push him (don't ask me why) and with that kinda reaction if it keeps up I think they might....also it's good to see Super Crazy being used again

Well I don't think that's gonna happen. He was just released today.
"This is my welcome!"

Offline Oly J

« Reply #8 on: 9 August 2008, 08:30:02 AM »
oh....I don't generally go on WWE.com so I didn't know that

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
« Reply #9 on: 9 August 2008, 08:38:40 AM »
The whole storyline was ruined for me when either Hawkins or Ryder (not sure which) was "dying" when the show came back from commercial... He had his eyes open, closed them, fell farther to the ground, & put the rose on himself.

Offline Big Texy Cool

• Formerly Known as Tex
  • <3 Velvet Sky
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE, ROH
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): CM Punk, Austin Aries, Dolph Ziggler, Motor City Machine Guns, Kings of Wrestling
« Reply #10 on: 9 August 2008, 08:39:09 AM »
Quote from: Skittles;12177
Well I don't think that's gonna happen. He was just released today.

Yeah, him along with Chris Harris, Big Daddy V, Domino, Nunzio & Nick Patrick. Were all released.

Now back on topic I did watch the end of SmackDown and as great as it was it didn't show the chair shots connecting, which is complete and utter bullshit. Now I saw it on YouTube as well but I doubt someone would edit them out just for YouTube. This is the first time the WWE rating drop has pissed me off.

Counting All The Assholes In The Room
Well I'm Definatly Not Alone; Well I'm Not Alone
You're A Liar; You're A Cheater; You're A Fool
Well That's Just Me
YOOHOO
And I Know You Too

Offline Oly J

« Reply #11 on: 9 August 2008, 08:42:41 AM »
The whole storyline was ruined for me when either Hawkins or Ryder (not sure which) was "dying" when the show came back from commercial... He had his eyes open, closed them, fell farther to the ground, & put the rose on himself.

hmm I didn't notice that myself but I probably just wasn't paying attention at that moment I always lose focus on the show during the ad breaks

Yeah, him along with Chris Harris, Big Daddy V, [The] Deuce, Nunzio & Nick Patrick. Were all released.

Now back on topic I did watch the end of SmackDown and as great as it was it didn't show the chair shots connecting, which is complete and utter bullshit. Now I saw it on YouTube as well but I doubt someone would edit them out just for YouTube. This is the first time the WWE rating drop has pissed me off.

they released Chris Harris already?...damn.....also do you think this is Edge turning face or am I just being naive?

Offline TJChurch

• Master Of Mayhem
  • Banned
« Reply #12 on: 9 August 2008, 08:49:25 AM »
Quote from: Oly J;12181
hmm I didn't notice that myself but I probably just wasn't paying attention at that moment I always lose focus on the show during the ad breaks

Funny enough, but I often have my focus go in & out all the time, & the best focus of the night may be on the ads. (I have local family that like to visit on Fridays, when nobody works the next day.) But the thing that grabbed me was the guy (whichever it was) had the literally-described, "Oh! Whoops!" look on his face, like he just realized the camera on him was "On"... Right before he did all that stuff.

Offline Dale

« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2008, 02:03:13 AM »
This was the first SmackDown all the way through in months and I must say I fully enjoyed it.

The 6 Diva Tag Match was pretty bleh, but it was totally worth it just to see Maryse in that tennis outfit :drool Anyone else hear Maria outpop Michelle massively? No surprise though really :P

EdgeHeads vs Wang and Moore. I've never been into the EH's but for some reason I was well into them. The finish was nice with the double impaler DDT. What happens to Wang now as the guy was always the most over member of the team.

Jeff vs Shelton was a really enjoyable match for me and surprised that it went for the amount of time it did. Even though the ending was a DQ, i't didn't really take away from the match as it helped to take the feud to another level. Thoroughly enjoyable.

HHH/Khali. The dullest part of the show for me. Obviously it made sense for the sake of storyline advancement, but easily a skippable moment.

Kozlov vs Jesse was your typical Kozlov squash match, although it looks as if we we're getting towards the end of the squashes now as he got on the mic demanding better competition and also hinted at a possible matchup with Festus as once the bell rung, Festus did his thing but Jesse had to hold him back. Same with the finish, the way he stared at him while he was in his trance.

The Brian Kendrick vs Super Crazy was probably my favourite part of the show as i'm enjoying the way his character is being built. I've never been a Kendrick fan and had he not had this gimmick change, I probably still wouldn't but i'm just loving his partnership with Ezekiel. I also like the way he seems to have altered his wrestling style aswell.

The Final promo was awesome. Edge was just pure pyschopathic and genuinely did look as if he had lost his marbles. He did it so well because he could have easily come off as a face because of the promo and the way he attacked Vickie, but he did it that well he still managed to come out as the mega heel he is.

Tazz and JR announcing together worked perfectly aswell I might add. They just seemed so comfortable together and if Mick doesn't get his contract sorted out (which doesn't look likely) I honestly wont be that dissapointed.

Overall a very good show for me and I'll definitley be tuning in next week.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2008, 06:03:30 AM »
I really liked the jeff hardy vs shelton match. those 2 seems to work better than shelton and matt did. i wish MVP didn't come out there and ruin the match but at least shelton didn't job cleanly to jeff.

and the past 2 weeks the edge segments have been purely awesome.

hawkins and ryder for the first time impressed me a bit in the ring.

the triple h/great kahli is one of the worst feuds leading into summer slam and one of the worst feuds leading into a WWE title match ever IMO.

Nice to see shanon moore once last time before WWE let him go.

Kendrick keeps impressing each week and it was nice to see super crazy back in there.

Koslove was boring as always but not as boring as usual beings he actually faced jessie which i kinda like jessie but it would have been better if he faced festus.