Author Topic: WWE Looking To Develop New Stars  (Read 484 times)

Offline Dale

WWE Looking To Develop New Stars
« on: 7 May 2009, 02:52:13 AM »
Stephanie McMahon held a meeting with the wrestlers at the last TV tapings and said that the company is looking to develop new stars. She said that there will be no holdbacks and for everyone to work as hard they can to achieve success. Wrestlers were also encouraged to come up with ideas for their characters and storylines. This is a major change for midcard talent, as in the past if you were not a top star then suggestions were not taken seriously. Some are skeptical on if this will lead to major creative changes for the company in the future, as most talent feel the only way to get over is during their promos, as majority of the crowd are not focused on their superb in-ring work.

Credit: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

If this does come to fruition then it could be a really positive move. Alot of interviews you read (Heyman's was one I think) people complain about how promo's are too scripted and seem forced and isn't a true reflection on their character, so letting them have this freedom to be themselves can only be a good thing.

The part that says 'most talent feel the only way to get over is during their promos' I fully agree with and is something that needs adressing especially in the midcard and women's division. Guy's like Kofi, Bourne, Tyson Kidd etc all need mic time to develop their character as to what do you actually know about them, very little.

Same with the women's division, if you want people to care about it then you have to give them a reason to care about it. An easy example I can give is back when Mickie was playing the pyscho gimmick, look at the sheer amount of segment time she was involved in to build a character that the fans could get into. Compare that to what we get now and it's no wonder majority of people don't care about the division. What are the random tag matches and 8 diva matches achieving other than nothing? It's no wonder your Women's Champion gets a lukewarm reaction at best, why the crowd has no reaction whatever to the Diva's Champion.