Linked Events

• WWE Extreme Rules: 29 April 2012

Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* WWE Extreme Rules 2012 Discussion  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
Re: *OFFICIAL* WWE Extreme Rules 2012 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2012, 09:27:35 PM »
I like the new pre show things they are doing but i don't like Santino vs Miz beings it has had no build at all and i also don't like how WWE has been using Miz lately. Hopefully he wins the US title beings that I don't like Santino as champion beings he seems to always be in tag matches and never has feuds for the US title.

I'm Expecting something with Clay/Ziggler/Swagger on the show too.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #16 on: 26 April 2012, 11:55:29 AM »
I'm actually fully expecting this to be a great PPV. Bryan vs Sheamus is the match we all wanted to see at Mania and I think (as Prax said) they will make it up to us after Mania. Punk/Jericho will be good. Kane/Orton has actually turned somewhat decent, I thought this feud would be killed at Mania but when Kane won and took Orton's father etc it added a new dimension to it and freshened it up. Rhodes/Show should be pretty good and last but not least seeing Brock back in the ring will be interesting. Add the extreme rules to each of these matches and you are looking at a solid card.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
« Reply #17 on: 27 April 2012, 01:49:07 AM »
- As noted before, WWE Divas Champion Nikki Bella vs. Beth Phoenix has been added to the Extreme Rules pay-per-view. WWE's website reports that Beth has been cleared to compete, despite suffering the injury on Monday's RAW.

WWE is really playing up the storyline injury and the fact that Beth is going into the match still recovering.

I was hoping this show would get 1 more match but this isn't the match i was hoping for.

For "Extreme rules" these matches aren't too "Extreme" I don't think the divas match will have a gimmick in it. and Cody vs Show hasn't had a gimmick added yet. Bryan vs Sheamus is really just 3 normal matches in one. Orton vs Kane is a normal match where you can pin outside the ring. Then we get 2 matches which are exactly the same and are just DQ matches with fancy names.

With that said i think it will be a good show i just figure they could do better with the gimmicks for the matches.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #18 on: 27 April 2012, 05:10:45 AM »
- As noted before, WWE Divas Champion Nikki Bella vs. Beth Phoenix has been added to the Extreme Rules pay-per-view. WWE's website reports that Beth has been cleared to compete, despite suffering the injury on Monday's RAW.

WWE is really playing up the storyline injury and the fact that Beth is going into the match still recovering.

I was hoping this show would get 1 more match but this isn't the match i was hoping for.

For "Extreme rules" these matches aren't too "Extreme" I don't think the divas match will have a gimmick in it. and Cody vs Show hasn't had a gimmick added yet. Bryan vs Sheamus is really just 3 normal matches in one. Orton vs Kane is a normal match where you can pin outside the ring. Then we get 2 matches which are exactly the same and are just DQ matches with fancy names.

With that said i think it will be a good show i just figure they could do better with the gimmicks for the matches.

I see no problem with Falls Count Anywhere or no DQ/street fights. I wouldn't exactly call them "normal" matches as you're implying. Orton/Kane in FCA is the perfect stipulation for that I think, they can go all around the arena, use weapons, probably get a creative finish. Cena/Brock makes sense to call it extreme rules or hardcore or whatever, just have them go at it. I think Jericho/Punk could be better, maybe I quit, but i don't know what else you'd want. I don't like seeing cage matches at PPVs unless they're well built, we just had HIAC and it has its own PPV, anything with a ladder or table belongs at its own PPV, and I think we had an ambulance match right before mania. Problem is WWE pidgeonholes themselves with these gimmick PPVs. Hard to justify so many stipulation matches 3 weeks after mania.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2012, 08:54:06 AM »
That PPV was spectacular. Easily the best since the last time they were in Chicago for MITB and maybe better than that even. Every match was enthralling and well done, and it was unpredictable and entertaining through and through. Almost every match upstaged the last.

The Santino/Miz preshow match was short and meh but it had no build and it legitimized Santino a bit. Miz got good heat in his promo so hopefully they make something of this.

Randy/Kane was the best match of their feud. They got some nice spots in, had a brawl and went around the arena. I loved how they got Ryder to interfere, mentionign his history with Kane. I thought having the finish in the ring was a bit of a copout because of the stipulation but whatever. Also think they could have went a little bit bigger with the final spot than just an RKO on a chair. It seemed like every big move Orton hit hurt him more than Kane lol. But I did like the match so don't take these complaints as major.

Going into Show/Cody I thought it was going to be short and shit, and for the most part it was but the end was incredible. Show gets caught on a technicality and then snaps, possibly turning him heel and Cody face. Depending on where they go with this it could end up being brilliant.

Brodus actually had a decent match with Ziggler. Obviously the end was sudden but they probably didn't have much time and Ziggler dominated most of the match so I'm okay with how that went. Brodus isn't going to lose any time soon so hopefully he can move on to someone else and Ziggler/Swagger can actually get a couple wins soon.

Ryback destroying those goons was also fun.

Layla coming back was a nice surprise, I'm not sure about her winning, essentially beating 2 people too but I have a feeling they'll have Nikki reclaim the title on the technicality that Brie was the one who was pinned.

D.Bry/Sheamus is tied for match of the night IMO with the Street Fight. Arguably the best match in WWE for both guys. Bryan showed off his technique and I loved how they played the strategy with the arm and getting purposely DQd. The ending kinda deflated it a little bit but I have a feeling that was on purpose to show how the brogue kick can sneak up on you. If they continue the feud they an have D.Bry claim that Sheamus only technically got 1 fall on him because of the DQ. Either way awesome match, got a lot out of Sheamus (loved the modified cloverleaf, hope he makes that one of his signature moves), and I think the longest match of the night too. Best part for me was how Bryan pumped up the crowd while they were checking on Sheamus with yes/no chants.

Punk/Jericho was just as good. They told a story, they used weapons and made them matter, building them up, and got some great spots in. Fire extinguisher and elbow through the table were the highlights. Punk rightfully won I think so it'll be interesting to see where Jericho goes from here.

Finally, Cena/Lesnar. What to say about this? It was definitely different. Brock's style has changed a lot, he MMA'd the fuck out of Cena, threw in a couple of suplexes and just dominated. Cena bled hard, looked like a ragdoll out there. While the end was sudden, you gotta commend him for selling that beating. It was honestly making me uncomfortable a couple of times, especially when Brock was beating him up in front of those kids. Then came that crazy ass move where Brock jumped off the steps, and i had absolutely no idea what that was supposed to be, but i loved it. It was retarded and Brock could have legit hurt himself. Then he goes for it again and Cena gets him in the face with the chain. Brock selling a knee injury by smiling, then having Cole go nuts about it was great. The refs staying away from Brock until the pin was amazing. I even liked the doctors coming in, the rubber gloves. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the lost art of telling a story in a wrestling match, and the guy who everyone claims sucks and the MMAer who hasn't wrestled a WWE match in 8 years told one of the best stories in years.

The end was sudden, but the logic i see behind that is that in UFC Brock's fall was quick and sudden, he let his guard down and paid the price. Here, he got cocky, Cena had time to wrap the chain around his hand and that gave him the opening he needed to FU him, and no one's going to kick out of an FU on the steps. It made sense, and the way they could go forward from this is have Brock be even angrier and go through some lower tier guys until cena comes back and they have a rematch at Summerslam or whatever. But really it was great. The title matches were better wrestling but they made the best out of what they had and that has to be commended.

Aside that it has to be mentioned that the crowd was awesome. There was an appropriate level of mixed reactions for D.Bry and Cena, they reacted appropriately to Show/Cody, the only thing I didn't like was booing Brodus, because he actually got a good match in.

Overall, simply great show. I really can't even think of how they could have made it better honestly.

Offline narcolepsy

« Reply #20 on: 30 April 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
Just the sight of Lesnar repeatedly pumping himself up while hunting his prey on top of the steps in the middle of the ring made the whole match.  It was almost like a story mode match in a WWE video game.  First time in a while where you go into a PPV with average to low expectations and they actually far exceeded it.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #21 on: 30 April 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
I think Prax said it all, I actually thought the crowd were cheering for Brodus though and booing for Ryback tbh, and I was annoyed that they were as I've enjoyed Ryback. But this didn't take me out of the PPV at all, I thoroughly enjoyed this PPV and couldn't say a bad word, even the divas match was tolerable.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #22 on: 30 April 2012, 06:28:37 PM »
Just the sight of Lesnar repeatedly pumping himself up while hunting his prey on top of the steps in the middle of the ring made the whole match.  It was almost like a story mode match in a WWE video game.  First time in a while where you go into a PPV with average to low expectations and they actually far exceeded it.

Forgot to mention that, that was fucking awesome. I said it before when he jumped out of the ring, it was 3AM and everyone was sleeping in my house, I was in the basement marking out, and not the way I usually do at 3AM in the basement.

Offline Majin HoHo

• Life is a Team Sport
« Reply #23 on: 30 April 2012, 06:38:27 PM »
My review on the PPV goes like this, I didn't watch the preshow matches, but boy is Miz being murdered in the Company right now, next is Lord Tensai to finish him.Is WWE trying to have him hit lows and come out of no where and get into the main event scene like he did before, that led him to the WWE Championship? Orton vs Kane was a solid opener, thought this was should of been longer.Ziggler vs Clay, longest match for Clay, damn does Ziggler truely want that main event spot, he's losing and looks good in the ring, while doing it.Rhodes vs Show was good, loved that bouncing beauty disaster, I couldn't stop laughing seeing Show fall into the Table, one leg only.Down goes the GIANT..DOWN GOES THE GIANT.Cody hopefully gets a proper run with the IC Title hopefully he has some better challengers. Ok Bryan vs Sheamus 2 outta 3 falls, must of been  match of the night, the crowd was white hot for Bryan, only way we get these two again, if Del Rio is involved to spice it up more.It was funny Ryback beat the shit outta two guys, that was allowed to talk beforehand.

Layla coming back good for her, but the crowd wanted Kharma like me, no pop for her title win.I smell Layla holding onto that belt till Beth takes it back, and Kharma takes it from her.Hot potato with the Divas title it this WCW 1992/3.CM Punk vs Jericho was great, a few mistakes in the Ring, but it was needed.Punk and Y2J should of went old ECW, outside of the Arena, down the street, knocking into cars, but that was asking too much.Still great match.Lastly Lesnar vs Cena, Cena was Lesnar's bitch from the get go and I loved it.I didn't understand though Cena winning this match meant more for him to win in their mind, versus taking a break after should of beating Rock, even though I am a Rock fan, Cena needed that win.Taking a break will be good for him, when he does, he should troll us like Y2J did and turn heel.Overall the show for me was 8.5 out 10 for me.

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #24 on: 2 May 2012, 01:23:07 AM »
Just watched this and Prax couldn't have summed it up better.
First off I want to be smug and point out that I predicted this would be an amazing PPV  :P

This changed the dynamic of wrestling... completely.
Opening match Orton vs Kane was brilliant, an all round fun match to start the show. Then Brodus and Ziggler was fairly good, Ziggler sold the moves well and got a lot of offense in. This would normally be a good match but with the upcoming events it was shadowed.
Rhodes vs Show was awesome because it told a story. The fans booed Show at the end and cheered when Cody got to is feet without the help of a ref, Cody gave Show his WM moment and now its time for Show to make Rhodes look good. The disaster kick off the table and finish were awesome.
Next came Sheamus vs Bryan, IMO best match of the night. Bryan brought his A game. I was annoyed Sheamus got booed but it is expected considering that bollocks match at WM. Still it takes two to have a great match and Sheamus delivered, he is a big guy that is adaptable to wrestling different sized guys as we all know from that awesome match he had with JoMo a while back. Bryan was so cunning and there was a point where I really believed he had the win, I actually felt sorry for Sheamus at one point. I am glad Sheamus won, not the biggest fans of short reigns and he earned a decent title reign with Royal Rumble win and a year of consistency without winning a title. If Bryan had won it would have seemed obvious creative were blindly following what the crowd wanted without building stories. Anyway Bryan vs Sheamus at Extreme Rules and Taker vs Triple H at WM. We have two fucking amazing MOTY's so far.

Ryback squashing the two guys was good filler, that thing he does when he raises his hands is really stupid though.
Anyway Punk vs Jericho, another great match right there. I have to say I did not enjoy this one as much as the previous match but normally this would be the best match on a card. The fact there were two matches better shows how great the PPV was because next came another MOTY contender in Brock vs Cena. Was the match better technically than Bryan vs Sheamus? No. But like Bryan/Sheamus and even Rhodes/Show it told a story. A fucking good story. Cena overcoming Brock was amazing, like Prax I felt uncomfortable seeing him bleeding right near those yung fans but he ended up getting the upper hand so at least they didn't get a front seat viewing to watching their hero get absolutely demolished. Brock brought 18+ to MR PG and in the process nobody can deny what Cena delivered. He let himself get bust up and he soldiered through and proved a point. Fuck Dwayne Johnson and his pussy Hollywood look, fuck Wrestlemania. This was a true match and a true PPV. Cena taking time out? Brilliant idea. Lets see others develop. Lets see Cena leave on a high and when he returns, fuck will have to be one of the best comebacks in history.

10/10- Perhaps had a few faults but in terms for what a wrestling PPV actually is it was flawless therefore a few irritations cannot detract from a 10/10. This for me was WM.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2012, 06:52:08 PM »
I still haven't seen all of this show yet. I watched a stream that was messing up a lot and i still plan on going back and at least watching the 2 world title matches and Cena vs Brock in it's entirety.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2012, 06:59:15 PM »
Well worth watching the whole show tbh, it was a brilliant PPV, shame you couldn't watch it at the time really.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2012, 07:01:45 PM »
Definitely worth watching the whole thing.