Author Topic: Movie wrestler found dead, aged 37  (Read 490 times)

Offline Ms H.B.K.

Movie wrestler found dead, aged 37
« on: 20 December 2008, 12:46:02 PM »
Just read that Mike 'Mad Dog' Bell has died. Possibly as a result of steroid abuse, he was in a rehab centre at the time.

He had been on Raw a couple of times, but never under WWE contract.

He had been in a movie highlighting steroid abuse in sports, and the USA which was made by his brother.

So we're seeing possibly more deaths a result of the steroid abuse that went on in the past in wrestling, bodybuilding etc. Hogan has admitted his steroid abuse and we all know that many of the other guys have been on them at one time.

It's always happened in these fields, but it begs the question, was it people taking it too far, stronger drugs or just bad luck that is seeing the deaths as a result?

I saw clips of the film, and it's amazing to see how some people see no alternative, whilst in some cases trying to make sure no one knows for sure (Do they really think we can't guess?)

More info on the story below.....

A wrestler featured in substance abuse documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster has been found dead aged 37.
Mike 'Mad Dog' Bell died at a live-in rehabilitation facility on Sunday. The coroner is waiting on a toxicology report to determine the cause of death.
Bell's brother Chris, who directed the documentary, said the wrestler had a long history of prescription painkiller and alcohol addiction. "You can't really blame wrestling, but it's kind of the lifestyle," he told the Orange County Register.
"You have a couple of painkillers to get to the next match, have a couple drinks night to night and it gets out of hand. He was always wrestling, he was a personal trainer, he was always pushing his body to the max."
World Wrestling Entertainment, for which Bell wrestled as a low-level performer, sent its "deepest condolences to the Bell family".

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
Movie wrestler found dead, aged 37
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2008, 10:14:26 AM »
There's a difference between steroid use and abuse. And that difference is illness and death. It kind of bothers me that such a strong stance is being taken against steroids in pro wrestling. It's a show... and it's a tough schedule, sometimes wrestlers need to compensate and maintain their form. But the truth is that a lot of them don't understand the repercussions of misusing those drugs. And what does that lead to? Secrecy, abuse and potential for bad things including death. It would be so much better for the industry if steroid use was allowed but regulated. Unfortunately, not even the people in the industry are competent to regulate steroid use.

So I understand the strong negative stance, but one guy dying from abuse doesn't mean everyone in the industry is jacked up and on death watch,

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.