Weird that I rewatched TDKR and The Avengers online and enjoyed The Avengers more
I think it holds up to a repeat viewing better and TDKR flaws can be seen more on a rewatch. Still a fucking good film but I preferred it on initial viewing.
Yeah I think I'll wait a while to rewatch TDKR, but I wouldn't rate the avengers higher. That film just plays out like every other marvel film, kind of enjoyable but didn't really achieve anything new. TDKR is its own film, even if it has its flaws. I think the way they bitched Bane out a bit was weak, like the way they kind of just forget how much he has exploited from Bruce before taking him down. I know Batman had to come back and "rise", but I feel like some of the things Bane achieved before taking down the Bat, such as taking wayne industries armory of tanks, didn't really have the impact it should have. Despite saying all that though, it doesn't take away from the general feeling of doubting the hero of a superhero film, at one point almost making you believe he is dead. The point of the film is still there though, its original and had me hooked and I know for a fact that The Avengers will never top that.
Anyway, from what I can remember, these are the films I have watched, I'll categorise appropriately:Thoroughly RecommendThe Dark Knight Rises
- Brilliantly dark and achieves the "fall to rise" theme to a point of personal feeling. Excellent film.The Descendents
- Positive feel good film, I don't think its the directors best film, nor do I feel its anything groundbreaking, its just a solid film that I would happily watch again.The Imposter
- Great film on identity and trust, possible film of the year candidate imo.Searching For Sugar Man
- Interesting story about a musician who should have made it, plus it was a gateway to finding this music which gives it extra props, the documentary is well made and has a positive feel good vibe to it.Good Popcorn FlicksThe Amazing Spiderman
- Better then the other two Spiderman films, had some good fight scenes and generally fun. Excited about where they take these films.Prometheus
- Offers the dark horror elements effectively, but the lack of depth, and generally stupidity of the writing for the characters lets the film down.Average at bestThe Avengers
- Typical Marvel action film, has its funny moments and some of the action is good, but its nothing groundbreaking.The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- Has a few funny moments and worth watching on TV, but nothing special.The Expendables 2
- Some fun action sequences and good for nostalgic value for just seeing the stars but doesn't build on the nostalgia for the full blown 80's/90's action flick.The Iron Lady
- A good performance by Meryl Streep and a brief history lesson on Britain, otherwise its a film about politics, a subject matter I absolutely hate.