Author Topic: Top 10 of 2012  (Read 2270 times)

Offline J.D

• I'M FROM WINNIPEG YOU IDIOT!
  • Favourite Promotion(s): WWE
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
Top 10 of 2012
« on: 9 January 2012, 08:11:31 PM »
Okay so to promote a big year in film here is the place to rate films you have seen and at the end of the year produce a top 10 of 2012.
This year we have The Dark Knight Rises and The Hobbit, bound to be favourites.

Offline Adampro123

• Veteran Member
  • Favourite Promotion(s): PWG, ROH, Chikara, DGUSA, TNA, NXT, FCW, WWE,
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): John Morrison, AJ Styles, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Austin Aries, MMG, Dean Ambrose, Kenny King, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Kurt Angle, Christian, CM Punk Colt Cabana, Shelton Benjamin, Kevin Steen, Brisoes, Davey Richards, El Generico
Re: Top 10 of 2012
« Reply #1 on: 9 January 2012, 08:24:19 PM »
Looking forward to The Avengers along with those 2.

Offline J.D

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Stone Cold, HBK, Y2J, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Tyson Kidd
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2012, 04:41:51 PM »
A Monster in Paris- Was impressed with the animation but mainly the soundtrack which was fantastic. I think you have to have an appreciation of French culture to like this one. It was a very odd film but highly original and definitely deserves an Oscar nod for best soundtrack. The story seemed like something you would get from an old classic.

7.5/10

Offline J.D

« Reply #3 on: 4 February 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
The Descendants- Really enjoyed this film, was very dramatic but I love these contemporary drama pieces. The beautiful setting does a lot to aid the film but the characters are what really drives it. Not usually a fan of Clooney but he is great in this and I enjoyed him in Burn After Reading a while back and The American so the days of Batman & Robin are certainly behind him.

9/10
« Last Edit: 6 May 2012, 01:18:10 PM by J.D »

Offline J.D

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2012, 09:21:44 AM »
Hyped for- The Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus, The Dictator and The Bourne Legacy
« Last Edit: 26 August 2012, 06:41:52 PM by J.D »

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2012, 11:57:04 AM »
One film I'm pretty hyped for is The Raid, I've heard it's supposed to be as action packed as Hard Boiled.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2012, 03:40:25 PM »
The Descendants 8/10 (gone down a mark)
The Avengers- 7/10
A Monster in Paris- 7/10
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel- 6.5/10
Mirror Mirror- 2/10

Hyped for- The Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus, The Dictator and The Bourne Legacy

Isn't The Descendants a 2011 movie?

Anyway here's my list, going to get much more populated the next 2 months. Ratings might be a little out of order by keep in mind they're graded on their own merits and genres, if that makes sense, and there's also a little hindsight that goes into it.

1. The Grey - 8.5 out of 10
2. 21 Jump Street - 9 out of 10
3. Safe House - 7 out of 10
4. Haywire - 7.5 out of 10
5. Ghost Rider 2 - 6 out of 10
6. The Raven - 3 out of 10

Also if we're adding 2011 movies we saw in 2012, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo would probably be #1 with a 9/10.

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline chappers

• Favourite Wrestler(s): Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena
« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2012, 03:48:20 PM »
The Descedants came out around the same time as The Grey if I recall, which you have listed as 2012 :P. Either way, it was a good film.

Offline RyPrax

• FEED. ME. MORE.
  • Veteran Member
  • FINISH. HIM.
« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
The Descedants came out around the same time as The Grey if I recall, which you have listed as 2012 :P. Either way, it was a good film.

The Descendants - November 16, 2011, wide release on Dec. 9 (played at the Toronto International Film Festival in September)
The Grey - January 27, 2012

Think I'll have a wank over these tomorrow.

Offline J.D

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2012, 01:17:45 PM »
UK Release Date: 27/1/2012

Stuff gets released at different times here. The thread is probably easier if you stick with what you saw at the cinema in 2012 in your country. I can take it out and we can just do America though if it bothers you.

American Reunion- Pretty lame film to be honest. American Pie was like the pinnacle of high school movies, it was the one to watch but this installment was a second rate high school film. It tries to show that the characters all grew up but I dunno it feels kinda insulting. There a few funny moments but really not that many. The cinema was a lot quieter than would be expected. Last years movie 'The Inbetweeners' was a much better coming of age story than this and a little more realistic. The Sherminator and Stifler were awesome characters when I was a kid but now they just seem gimmicky, lame and dated.
However there were a few funny moments and like a lot of comedies it is not a film where you would get bored halfway through.
6.5/10

« Last Edit: 26 August 2012, 06:41:24 PM by J.D »

Offline J.D

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2012, 04:32:41 PM »
We Need To Talk About Kevin.

This is a very haunting film and very psychological. It is basically about a child who seems to hate his Mother despite her efforts. Perhaps it boils down to the way she felt when she was pregnant or the indifferent way she acted towards him.
A very memorable film and a hell of a lot more frightening than the majority of gore fest crap passing off as horror these days.

7.5/10

21 Jump Street

This film started off really well. The drug scene was hilarious. The film went down the pan a bit at the end and turned into the generic comedy except for one amazing cameo. However the excellent beginning/middle of the film compensated for that and the chemistry between Hill and Tatum was good. Better than American Pie.

7.5/10
« Last Edit: 26 August 2012, 06:42:16 PM by J.D »

Offline J.D

« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2012, 02:15:51 PM »
Great

The Dark Knight Rises
The Bourne Legacy
The Avengers
The Descendants (UK release date)
We Need To Talk About Kevin

Good

The Amazing Spiderman
21 Jump Street
A Monster in Paris

Average

The Expendables 2
The Hunger Games
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
American Pie: The Reunion
Cabin in the Woods (UK release date)

Awful

Mirror Mirror
Project X

« Last Edit: 31 August 2012, 01:31:23 AM by J.D »

Offline J.D

« Reply #12 on: 9 August 2012, 09:10:10 PM »
The Hunger Games (2012)

Seemed like a tame version of Battle Royale. I couldn't quite figure out the demographic as it seems too adult for children and young teens yet too tame for older teens to adults. It seems like the target audience would be for like 3 months of a teenager's life. Jennifer Lawrence was great (as she was in 2010's Winter's Bone) but the rest of the film seemed cliched and improbable. I'd give it a 6.5/10 for being somewhat entertaining.

EDIT: Just noticed I have seen 11 films of 2012 now which means Mirror Mirror does not gain a default position in the top 10, thank fuck for that lol. Now just need to see more films before the end of December to get that list looking decent.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2012, 06:44:23 PM by J.D »

Offline J.D

« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2012, 09:38:44 PM »
Project X

Fucking dire movie. Okay so its about some guys that are geeks and want to become cool by throwing a big party. Obviously this plot is basically the same albeit they are throwing the party. However Superbad is an actual film and it is funny. Project X is a series of clips of people dancing with a few outrageously acted scenes. Yeah the party looks fun, yeah the babes are hot, yeah there's drugs and booze. But its fucking lame.
A midget comes and punches people in the balls (ho ho) then we see the neighbourhood get set on fire (sheesh.) What else happens? The dog gets spray painted. A load of lame shit happens. However there is no fricking narrative. They just constructed what would be an epic party (which it was) but they did it in a way that insulted the viewer's intelligence.
This didn't really put me in the mood to party, I was just left thinking how lame it was. Funniest bit was probably the few parts about Daxflame (internet legend.)

2/10

The Cabin in the Woods (2012- UK release date)
Original but really not as clever as people make it out to be. The movie has promise, then goes downhill a bit then picks right back up but by the end felt they spoonfed the plot too much. It is the weirdest film you will ever see mind.

6.5/10
« Last Edit: 21 August 2012, 12:12:22 AM by J.D »

Offline Leonardo Lunchbox

• Baby, I'm an Anarchist
  • FUCK YOU GET PUMPED
  • Favourite Promotion(s): Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
  • Favourite Wrestler(s): Alex Shelley
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2012, 12:39:50 AM »
I just rewatched it and The Avengers is at the top of my list for 2012. I still can't believe it all came together and was just the absolute perfect comic book movie.